Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HDD/DVD recorders

Options
  • 25-11-2005 10:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

I was planning to replace my ancient VCR. I can't remember how old it actually is (7-8 at guess) and it can't record from the NTL digital box. My plan was to look at the HDD recorders which also have DVD burners on them. I've too many VHS tapes and want to clear up the mess.
    I know there are a lot more manufacturers out there this year than there were last year. Prices also seem to have dropped.
    Has anyone here bought one? Anyone else looked into the models? I don't think a huge HDD is going to be a major benefit as most recordings I do are for convenience (late night viewing) rather than archiving. And there is always the DVD burner.

One other thing I'm a bit concerned about is the whole DRM issue. $ony have not done themselves any favours with the rootkit they have put onto the audio CDs recently. I won't be buying any of 'em. But I have come across some commentaries on US sites about encoding of broadcasts which could restrict viewing. I'm not sure how restrictive it will be, but I do know there is a fairly robust debate going on about copyright protection (think IRMA, Google book 'archiving', etc.)
    Anyone got an informed opinion on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

I got a lite-on 160Gig HDD/Dual Layer Dvd burner. It's good. I'd recommend it.

Can't remember the price off the top of my head.

John

Advertisement