Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PKM not killing at almost point blank range

Options
  • 25-11-2005 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I recently started playing as the support class and unlocked the PKM. I know they say it inaccurate and you need to be shooting from a prone position looking through the sights for the best accuracy, which is normally what i do. But i've been having doubts as to the actuall killing power of it in the game. This was reinforced yesterday when i was with the MEC on Strike and Karkand, spawned at the second flag from the USMC side. Lying prone, i see a USMC special forces guy come around the corner infront of him. I open up with the PKM, hit him 2-3 times in the chest before he spots me, he shoots me once, i hit him for a 4th time, he hits me again and I die. Wtf??? I've taken down a cobra helicopter with this gun before and 4 shots wont kill a soldier...something not right.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 896 ✭✭✭Subliminal

AFAIK its not just the PKM. I played Special Forces a few times, in karkland, where i have surprised a guy from behind, put a full clip in him, then he spins round, 2 shots and im dead....thought he was a hacker/cheat etc, but it happened a few times, on different people and maps/servers. Its bloody annoying too.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Kare Bear

I unlocked it aswell its alot worse than the standard support gun.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Want a proper gun.....DoD:Source and use the MG42....this things cuts down the enemy no probs!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

takes a few milliseconds for PKM to start firing accurate when going into prone, 4 bullets kills a guy but how do you know you hit him 4 times? you can drop dead if someone get s a lucky headshot on you

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

I was really disapointed with the PKM. Takes far too long to fire when going prone and even then, at point blank range, it's as if you're firing good intentions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭RapierX

Fidelis wrote:
    I was really disapointed with the PKM. Takes far too long to fire when going prone and even then, at point blank range, it's as if you're firing good intentions.

Well you cant exactly have it like a normal assault rifle with 100 bullets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭Haket

Yeah, the PKM is a bit of a missed opportunity. If they made it like in COD when have to setup the tripod (~3secs) and then have a limited cone of fire we'd have been sorted. Of course it's have to include the power of the ground defence MG in BF2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Well the PKM is a support weapon, lays down fire. The effective range is like from 300 yards up... am I right? Well this is a game so it should be cutting things in 2 from close range. The best way to use this weapon in-game is to go prone and shoot in bursts. IT's a hard weapon to use but it's fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Subliminal wrote:
    AFAIK its not just the PKM. I played Special Forces a few times, in karkland, where i have surprised a guy from behind, put a full clip in him, then he spins round, 2 shots and im dead....thought he was a hacker/cheat etc, but it happened a few times, on different people and maps/servers. Its bloody annoying too.

Actually now that i think of it, it has happened quite a bit with other weapons like the AK-101, M16a2 etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,994 ✭✭✭ambro25

Well the PKM is a support weapon, lays down fire. The effective range is like from 300 yards up... am I right? Well this is a game so it should be cutting things in 2 from close range. The best way to use this weapon in-game is to go prone and shoot in bursts. IT's a hard weapon to use but it's fun.

Second that - I use support every now and then as I've developed a preference for (firepower + no reload for a while) over (close-range accuracy/requirement to be prone to hit anything). And from experience, the US SAW-M249 appears more accurate than the PKM, the Chinese one (can't remember moniker) is useless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

I just wish the bloody thing wouldn't overheat so fast , kinda hard to lay down covering fire in bursts when everyone else knows it won't kill them even if I do manage to hit them .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Z

*sigh*
    The idea of the support class is that ye provide support.
    Suppressing fire from a distance, supplemented by a couple of assaults and AT, with a medic is a decent inf squad. Support isnt suited to lone wolf applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭jaggeh

one of my fav spots is the small building behind the hotel on karkand, if you lie on the solar panel like thingsit gives you a very low profile and you can cut people down running along the street.

There is nothing wrong with the PKM, its not meant for up close fighting, maximum effect is when you fire it into a horde of players. ive seen someone get 6 or 7 kills in a matter of seconds with a sustained burst on wake island.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Agent47

i hav to disagree, i find the pkm to be a really good weapon, found it easy to get my veteran support badge, i find it difficult to use the aim at close ranges so leave it in 3rd person, just mape sure u hit the deck 1st!:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

Yeah I agree with above. PKM is an excellent weapon and it works very well in Karkand. However, it's not the gun to use when racing down the side streets near Hotel. It's excellent on laying down cover fire down the main streets as your assault guys advance on the flag. E.g., around the Market Square in the middle. Range is very good. It's easy enough to rip apart 3 or 4 guys coming at you at once if they are a block or two away, but up close without being prone and aimed, it's not good, which IMHO seems accurate for such a weapon/class.

It's like Medic. A good gun but not the best as a lone wolf. Join a squad with it and you can cover 2-3 assault players easily. It's simply a different playing style.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

The unlocked support gun rules! I use it frequently to snipe people with. Nothing better than being a a good hiding place, hitting people running around. Whats the first thing you do when hit? You hide. So I don't kill them, but they usually run away:) And if I do kill them, its cool. The only gun better than this would be the unlocked medic gun, in my opionion, for full auto sniping:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Over a few hundred feet the thing is lethal and best used with some cover.

Trying to take someone out with it while they pointing any assault gun at you is a losing situation.

kdjac

Advertisement