Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Heater problem

Options
  • 25-11-2005 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

The heater in my 00 FIat Bravo has decided that it will only blow hot air out if I go over 50/60 mph, so it more or less doesnt heat ever! (unless I go on the M50 at 11 at night!)

Anyone any ideas what it could be or where I could bring it to get looked at?

Thanks,

Dave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Possibly thermostat in cooling system stuck open

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Sounds like the heater flap/fan/matrix itself is OK if it puts out hot air some of the time. It sounds to me like the cooling system themostat could be stuck open. If this is the case, the car will take ages to heat up. The thermostat controls coolant flow to the radiator, when the car is cold it shuts off the flow to the radiator so that the engine warms up quicker. Once the engine is warmed up the 'stat opens to prevent overheating. If it is stuck open coolant will be passing throught the rad all the time and being constantly cooled.

Also, check that there is enough coolant in the reservoir. Too little coolant might result in a cold heater (and an overheated engine)

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

BrianD3 wrote:

Also, check that there is enough coolant in the reservoir. Too little coolant might result in a cold heater (and an overheated engine)

Thanks for the replies.
    Is that something any garage/mechanic can fix??
    Where is the coolant reservoir? Is that the main water tank in the car?

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

The reservoir is usually near the radiator,it will often have a small hose leading from the top of the rad. to it and wiill probably have a min/max line on it.(Careful do not confuse with brake reservoir!)

Thermostat change should be a simple job for a mechanic.

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 884 ✭✭✭zefer

Thanks. Ill have a look tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

I have the same problem with the heater but the hot air only comes on when the engine hits approx 1500 revs. The engine itself heats up quickly and never overheats. Could this also be the cooler themostat?

Advertisement