Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA testing @ work

Options
  • 25-11-2005 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

Ever see that movie Gattaca? It's here:

"The Bulls dealt center Eddy Curry to the New York Knicks on Monday, ending a contentious negotiation in which Chicago insisted the restricted free agent take a DNA test over a heart problem." More on ESPN...

Nice one Mr. Curry. In some ways, I can never imagine DNA-testing for work purposes in Ireland but then again drug-testing at work is a reality in Ireland.

OK, not the same thing but I'm sure some would say they are both civil liberty issues.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

In this case, if your going to pay someone half a mill a year you'd like him not to drop dead (like some lads here) during the game.

Somehow I cant see Irish businesses looking for DNA tests for its desk drivers...

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If it was Ireland, they definitely couldn't fire him for refusing to do the test, but in that line of work they can just leave him sitting on the bench until he complies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

speaking about DNA. What ever happened to the TCD project that was going to map the DNA of the country and find out where we all came from ??

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Nuttzz wrote:
    In this case, if your going to pay someone half a mill a year you'd like him not to drop dead (like some lads here) during the game.

Somehow I cant see Irish businesses looking for DNA tests for its desk drivers...

What Mr. Curry was going to be paid is incidental. I think you're missing the point here. Deliberately, maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Think IBM are the first to say they won't ask for DNA on your CV.

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,69169,00.html

• Advertisement

galactus wrote:
    What Mr. Curry was going to be paid is incidental. I think you're missing the point here. Deliberately, maybe?

no he was a restrcited free agent, so he was free to move, to earn his half a mil the team owner wanted to make sure he wouldnt die on the court, not how i would do it but then again i dont have much experience running multimillon dollar enterprises....

Nuttzz wrote:
    no he was a restrcited free agent, so he was free to move, to earn his half a mil the team owner wanted to make sure he wouldnt die on the court, not how i would do it but then again i dont have much experience running multimillon dollar enterprises....

What happens when everyone demands DNA sample? In that instance he is not free to move around, or if he is he will be paid a much reduced price.

Nuttzz wrote:

i still stand by this....

Nuttzz wrote:
    i still stand by this....

What if the DNA can show who is more intelligent at a later stage?

Or who is more prone to certain illnesses so may cost money to the company because thier medical insurance will go up at a later stage.

I think we don't have anything to worry about yet though.

EDIT: appears they can determine if your a lazy sod by your genes.
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/11/051128075830.htm

Most Irish companies dont offer medical insurance.

DNA might in the future so if someone is smart but not if they are hard working,
    honest etc

still cant see the average irish SME shelling out on a DNA test anytime soon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

Nuttzz wrote:
    Most Irish companies dont offer medical insurance.

DNA might in the future so if someone is smart but not if they are hard working,
    honest etc

still cant see the average irish SME shelling out on a DNA test anytime soon

Define soon: 15 years? 10 years?

Let me ask you this:[strike]if[/strike] when it becomes cost-effective enough for SMEs to "demand" DNA profiling, do you think they will?

I see that the UK has introduced a law banning discrimination against employing people with cancer, HIV, AIDS or other serious illnesses, and thats not 10 or 15 years away thats 2005.

Only a matter of time before such anti discrimination laws are passed here...

Also in the news it appears they found a gene that is linked to IQ (in males).

http://www.seacoastonline.com/news/12032005/world/76194.htm

Advertisement