Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letting the Dog Decide

Options
  • 25-11-2005 1:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

I have a Lab, 2 years old.

He is normally outside during the day. I pop home at times to pet him etc. and he comes into the house for lunch.

He goes back out after lunch for a few hours and then in for the evening and night.

What I want to know is:

In the mornings, I open the door and dog goes outside and stays there. Some mornings I open door and he goes out (does his business) and comes back in to his bed.

Should I assume that when he comes back in that he wants to stay in the house during the day? Bearing in mind he only has access to the kitchen. Or should I put him out as normal?

He seems a Happy Dog regardless, but loves the warm radiators etc inside!

S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

in this weather inside, we have moved our dogs in for the last few days its just too cold they did have hot water bottles in their bed but still too cold so they have the kitchen, downstairs loo and little utility space and HEAT

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I guess he likes having his options open depending on the weather and what mood he's in, some of the days have been cold but there has been warm sun shining so mabey he preffered to sit out in it. If possible a dog flap might be put in so then he can pop in and out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

Have a lab-retreiver myself and have seen this happen many times!..

Most of the time, he would go out for a few mins, do the business and then whine to get back in. But eventually he was getting so lazy all he wanted to do was stay inside all-year round! I think my mam had enough at that stage, and now he stays out all the time. But he still sits at his old spot by the door looking in and wishing us to open the door for him!
    Thing is, he has a house outside, so he can go in there for a lie down. Maybe you could consider something like that if you have the space? It'll at least give him the chance to rest somewhere semi-out of the elements whilst outside.
    I reckon he'll choose inside over outside most of the time. Maybe he needs a little encouragement every now and again!

Advertisement