Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best car for Insurance Premiums

Options
  • 25-11-2005 1:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

Which car would be best for insurance premium payments? Id be a 22 male with full licence but not experience. But Im thinking it all really goes on the engine size (so 1 litre would be best) or do insurance companies prefer certain models over others?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I am also looking to hear people's opinions on this. Im a 22 male with no car driving experience, apart from a few lessons and i am considering buying a car in the next couple of months.

I have 4 and a half years no claims on motorbikes and a full licence but it counts for nothing unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

In general, it's the size of the engine that counts. The lowest two brackets seem to be < 1000cc and 1000 - 1200cc. Be aware that you won't get away with cheaper insurance by going for an older car. It would seem that insurers actually hike premiums for cars that are well on (and therefore lacking in security features and perhaps rife with defects). Certain cars will also have a bigger "boy racer" following, and some insurance companies will load you simply for buying these cars. Honda Civic hatchback for example (Afaik).

More often than not though, the particular models that get loaded tend to be out of the lower ranges, and tend to be >1400cc with letters like "T", "D" and "i" after the name :)

Just pick a load of cars you like and get some quotes online for them. You'll get a feel for what is and isn't in your price range.

Advertisement