Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Groody Bar

Options
  • 25-11-2005 2:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

There was a full page ad in the Post this week The Groody bar is opening on friday the 9th of december. Its 2 floors 2 bars an offie and it does food aswell. Ill have to check it out when it opens:D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Rozie

Yeah, thanks to the courtesy bus it might actually get quite a crowd... might be worth checking out at some stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭eljono

It's a pity it won't be open for Christmas Daze, it would have been a nice alternative to over-crowded Stables

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

they put the sign up above the door today! i get excited bout these kind of things. going to go in on friday and ensure that everytime i go in after that the barstaff will know what 'my usual' is. i think that will be a bit of an accomplishment. :p

Ya, we live across from it and plan on making it our regular. The staff will know as all by the end of week 12 I'd say.

well, did anyone go saturday night? what did u think? i went for a few pints, bar staff obv still finding their feet. my friend got a smithicks in a tall fosters glass! (he's a barman, thats an unholy sin apparently). be interesting to see what kind of crowd will it end up being. lot of shirts. anyway-opinions if you went?

• Advertisement

My friends and I went Friday night and were impressed with the place. I think the upstairs will be good craic Tues/Wed/Thurs nights plus they'll have live music some nights too. Hopefully they get the license for the night club.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peteee

Was there last night wih a few mates. Lovely place. Was upstairs.

Bar staff not the best, but hopefully they'll improve, will hopefully go back soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,082 ✭✭✭Nukem

Buddy said he was there on Friday and said bar staff were poor too and that it was free drink so they werent even contending with money so he cant imagine on a busy night. Might stroll up tonight?

Is it a venue for bulbs?

good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Nukem wrote:
    Is it a venue for bulbs?

Was there last night with Petee and a few others. Had a a pretty good night. I'd probably head there for a bulbs alright. The bar staff were poor enough but I can forgive that given that they haven't been open that long. The Guinness was a bit watery aswell.

Anyway I'm off to try and recover from my hangover and reassure my liver that everything's ok and I'll never do anything like last night again. Well not until next week :)

Cheers
    Rory

• Advertisement

Nukem wrote:
    Buddy said he was there on Friday and said bar staff were poor too and that it was free drink so they werent even contending with money so he cant imagine on a busy night. Might stroll up tonight?

Is it a venue for bulbs?

Yup great idea.

I too am off to nurse my horrible hangover

thought it was u last night rory. ive been trying to narrow it down, i know of two
    be-trenchcoat-ed individuals in Ul so wasnt sure...
    im in the library curing my hangover with....Marxism! huzzah.
    as for the staff in groody bar thing, i think i was wrong being critical, it just opened after all...if they are still bad in 2 weeks tho...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Yeah that was me you saw last night. Was there with Peteee and 2 others. Marxism to cure a hangover sounds like fun :) Lol "be-trench-coated" I'll have to use that one more often.

The one barman upstairs was overworked, the girl who was helping him seemed to go AWOL every so often leaving him by himself. The place seems to have opened a little early, some bits and pieces left to be finished off. Other than that it was grand.

Cheers
    Rory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 car_girl

There last night. Bar staff were terrible but i suppose it's early days yet. Finding the ladies was fun-they really should but signs on the doors!

car_girl wrote:
    Finding the ladies was fun-they really should but signs on the doors!

lol, yeah that was funny...peeping in the door to see if you had the right one! Unfortunatly I got it right the first time :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

heh..I interpreted that as 'finding ladies was fun' :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭bounceymousey

I wonder if the bus going over to groody will always stay though! Or is it just a promotion to get people over?! But it is good, instead of going to the "overcrowed" stables most nites! They must be racking it in!

whats the story with the bus?

keevita wrote:
    whats the story with the bus?

A bus is a vehicle with 4 wheels that carries individuals from place to place. It is larger then a car. Some buses hold about 50 people. Unlike a plane, a bus cannot fly cos it dosent have wings and....

Wait....I misread taht...never mind :v:

Didnt know there was a bus. Is it the same as the brookfield/courtyard bus

ah, the mysterious tubular being is explained... i phrased that post sooo badly, and me an english major... i didnt know there was a groody bar bus, i know about the student villages bus, but im not allowed on them. presume this mystical tubular public movement system is the nitelink?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Where is this new bar that you are speaking of? (I left UL a few years ago so just wondering) :mad:

curragh birin. big development there now, tho the bar is the only thing thats open, soon to be an offie too if my squinting through railings vision is correct.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

agh ok

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

What sort of atmosphere is in the bar anyway? Is it a mostly student crowd or what?

Must mosey down there tonight for a pint or 2

students, and local, few old men. mixed bag. grand for a few pints and a chat tho, cos the night i was there the music was at a good level.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Indeed, 'tis as keevita said. Went there for a quick drinkie there tonight.

The bar's nothing special really, not too big, reminds you of some other non-descriptive bar you've visited at some point in the past and they haven't made a great job of the car park but it's an alternative venue, which can't be bad. There may have been music, didn't notice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 150 ✭✭Vuk

Not exactly a 'two thumbs up' there sceptre!
    More of a 'meh' moment, will have to see on Wednesday.
    Anyway back to the all nighter with my project!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

shut up Al, crazy bastid! :v:

• Registered Users Posts: 24 corrr

So, nearly 2 years on, what's the Groody Bar like?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

Too loud. :o

Advertisement