Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just announced - George Best is dead

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

i hope the rangers fans do likewise but i duobt it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

DMC wrote:
    Celtic are to have a minutes applause, instead of a silence...
    They had a picture of Best with a Celtic jersey on the big screen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

he certainly was one of the most naturally gifted footballers of his generation and will be sadly missed..George Best RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

Man City or Liverpool fans or both did not observe the minutes silence for George,disgusting :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

jonny68 wrote:
    he certainly was one of the most naturally gifted footballers of his generation and will be sadly missed..George Best RIP.
    Thought you were banned for a week? :confused:

Not a good showing at the Man City Vs Liverpool match - the minutes silence only turned into around 19 seconds as a few idiots booed and shouted... and those annoyed shouted back.
    Must be very annoying for those Liverpool and City fans that genuinely wanted to show their respect and are now left ashamed by a few gobsh*tes.
    Just shows the best thing to do would have been a minute of applauding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Which makes me think what we will have at Upton Park tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jonny68 wrote:
    Man City or Liverpool fans or both did not observe the minutes silence for George,disgusting :mad:

Thats a poor reflection on themselves and not the Club they support. Every club appears to have a moronic element amoungst their supporters who have no respect for theselves never mind anyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Must be embarrassing for proper Man City and Liverpool fans.
    The silence was broken at Fratton Park too, not by disrespect but by chants of "There's only one George Best."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

R.i.p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I'm just watching this mornings soccer am (i record them all because I work saturdays) and it's 45 mins in. Thing is they havent mentioned Besty once, Now i missed the first 4 mins but they were going through the segments that are to be on the show so I dont think I missed anything. It's a bit of a bad showing from a football show, especially one on the channel he worked for.

Of course this isa bit redundant if they do have a section, but I thought it would be one of the main segments.

*EDIT* they just kind of mentioned it in passing and a bit rushed as they were headign to a break. THey stuck up a pic with 1946 -2005 under it for about 5 secs then went to the break. I really expected more. *EDIT*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

whiskeyman wrote:
    Just listening to BBC5live tribute show.
    Made the point how Best always loved the idea of an "all Ireland" soccer team.
    Imagine Keano captaining an all Ireland team against England in Old Trafford next year.
    Some tribute that would be.... and could well happen as talks for a Ireland Vs England friendly are in talks anyway.

Unfortunately our friends up north are already giving out about this and are totally opposed to the idea. The President of the IFA came out in favour of it, but unfortunately there are many who still won't hear of it. George Best himself advocated the idea of an all-Ireland soccer team. He also said, on one of the radio clips I heard on Friday, "There is no difference between north and south. We are all Irish." He got fans from both sides of the divide up north and it made no difference to him. Yet even in honour of his memory some can't put all that aside and allow even the idea of an All-Ireland team to suggested for a one-off match. It should be a permanent arrangement, but then that is another debate.

It is amazing what some of them are saying and the narrowmindedness of it. Even the name of the supporters website says a lot about the way they think. Check it out by going into www.ourweecountry.co.uk and into the supporters forum and then the View From The Stands section. You'll find a thread in there about it.

George Best was a great footballer. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Flukey wrote:
    Unfortunately our friends up north are already giving out about this and are totally opposed to the idea. The President of the IFA came out in favour of it, but unfortunately there are many who still won't hear of it. George Best himself advocated the idea of an all-Ireland soccer team. He also said, on one of the radio clips I heard on Friday, "There is no difference between north and south. We are all Irish." He got fans from both sides of the divide up north and it made no difference to him. Yet even in honour of his memory some can't put all that aside and allow even the idea of an All-Ireland team to suggested for a one-off match. It should be a permanent arrangement, but then that is another debate.

It is amazing what some of them are saying and the narrowmindedness of it. Even the name of the supporters website says a lot about the way they think. Check it out by going into www.ourweecountry.co.uk and into the supporters forum and then the View From The Stands section. You'll find a thread in there about it.

Whatever about a permenant all Ireland team, but I can't see why anyone could have an objection to a one off, or a limited, lions style, anual game. It hurtsno one and the sectarian heads don't really have a case seeing as all other sports are already competed by an "island of Ireland" team as opposed to two separate teams.

Especially if it were a kind of george best testimonial.

They are afraid of the slippery slope and people saying "That was good, we should do that all the time." They have the same objections when it comes to even suggesting an all-Ireland league or cup.

It's the old "not an inch" mentality. England were supposively looking for a friendly against us next Spring, so this would have been ideal. Why not have an Irish 11 play against England, either in Old Trafford or Windsor Park? What more fitting tribute could there be? George Best united people in the north, in Ireland and beyond, so why can't some people put their petty-mindedness aside for 90 minutes to allow this honour to the man? The man himself would have had no objections to the idea, so in honour of him, why not?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

Kingp35 wrote:
    Room service arrived and after a brief conversation with the man the porter asked him "George, what went wrong with your life?"

George looked at the bathroom door and thought about the body beyond it, he looked at the bed and saw the cash, he looked at the bottle of Bolly in his hand.

"Wrong?"

Man can we get it right. Straight from his autobiography "George, where did it all go wrong?". I'm no Utd. fan. I'm a football fan like many. There is no doubt that one of THE greatest footballers ever to grace this earth has left us and I am saddened like all of you. We will miss you George. You brought joy to our hearts no matter where our loyalties lied and truly transcended the game and the politics of the game. A genius knocks on the pearly gates tonight. Let him in and rejoice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

header wrote:

Explain.......

Why wouldn't they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

header wrote:

It doesn't matter what or who the club is, or peoples hatred for one club or another,, that'll all be forgotten for a minute and they'll unite in mourning the legend that was George Best!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Stekelly wrote:
    I'm just watching this mornings soccer am (i record them all because I work saturdays) and it's 45 mins in. Thing is they havent mentioned Besty once, Now i missed the first 4 mins but they were going through the segments that are to be on the show so I dont think I missed anything. It's a bit of a bad showing from a football show, especially one on the channel he worked for.

Of course this isa bit redundant if they do have a section, but I thought it would be one of the main segments.

*EDIT* they just kind of mentioned it in passing and a bit rushed as they were headign to a break. THey stuck up a pic with 1946 -2005 under it for about 5 secs then went to the break. I really expected more. *EDIT*

You must have missed more than 4 minutes. They talked about George Best for the first 10 minutes of the programme and showed a brief clip of when he was a guest on their show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

Does anybody have any clips of him to download?

Would be great to see some of them again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Flukey wrote:

i see no narrow-mindedness in what there saying,and i agree with most of them,northern ireland v man utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

header wrote:

What a stupid, idiotic statement.
    Have you been brainwashed to think that Rangers fans and the club are so evil that they would not show respect for George Best. A man who hailed from the same area (East Belfast) where Rangers would be most supported club and who played for the country that shares thousands of fans with Rangers.

county wrote:
    i see no narrow-mindedness in what there saying,and i agree with most of them,northern ireland v man utd

I agree, what association did George Best have with the Republic of Ireland, none if I recall. If there is any tribute game let it between the two team he was famous for playing with NI and Man. Utd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

header wrote:

As you can see from alot of Statements from the North Best was one of the biggest people to actual get both sides of the community to unite!! was never anything about religion with him and seeing as he would have supported Rangers more than Celtic I dont know why you would come out with this.....shows that some people dont actual research anything

I agree, what association did George Best have with the Republic of Ireland, none if I recall. If there is any tribute game let it between the two team he was famous for playing with NI and Man. Utd.

Was it in this thread or another that Best was one of the people that wanted a Utd Ireland....also when he was asked he never said he was from Northern Ireland....he said he was Irish....simple as that......why everyone has to seperate Rep from Northern is part of the problem with this country and one of the reason we will never see a United Ireland team.....Best seen himself as Irish and not just from part of it but from the whole of Ireland!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

George Best RIP

Its sad to see that George has passed away, before his time. Whilst not unexpected, you always had a feeling that he would somehow escape from the last chance saloon. However, this time it was not to be.

As other commentators have said, he hit the scene at an early age of 17 and brought football to many who had only a passing interest before that. He was a celebrity who extended outside of the football domain, when before that football players were only known in footballing circles.

An undoubted talent, a natural, a chance of genes. In another era, whether now or 100 years from now in the future, who knows what footballing sporting achievements he would have reached. An entertainer, on the field and off, yet someone that did have in his private life, perhaps, a less than happy existence. This was the dichotomy of George Best.

His adulation at an early age affected his life and his lifestyle for the rest of his years. Other footballers, talented and less so, have been able to "manage" themselves, to realise that they are ordinary people at the end of the day and to make their way in the world after football, or on the fringes of it.

George on the other hand, whilst not multi-personality per se, wanted to remain a hero, a blaggard, a scoundrel, a ladies man, one of the boys when in the public and media gaze, yet when in private came more back down to earth, was "softer", more in touch with his feelings, the real George as Alex, his wife, fell in love with, and wanted to not just be one of the boys but to be an ordinary one at that.

Its claimed that at times he suffered from major depression, and no doubt there is some of that related to his alcohol consumption, a lot of it unnecessary. George will always forever be remembered with mixed viewpoints, as he brings with him to his grave not only footballing memories, but questions as to the "what might have been", if only he hadnt been "married to the bottle".

He leaves us with memories of his skills and goals, a lot of them recorded, but he also leaves other people in his life with less happy memories. Whilst a hero, not one without flaws, serious flaws, which he was unable to conqueor. Perhaps that "talent" gene affected him in other ways, who knows, and many talented people are flawed, so who's to say if one was not possible without the other.

redspider

Did George Best play at St. Pats at the very end of his career? Someone said it today i was wonderin were they takin the p*ss?

• Advertisement

It's news to me. I'm pretty sure he didn't though.

Teams:

1963-1974 - Manchester United: 466 games, 178 goals, (Lge 361/137, FA Cup 46/21, Lge Cup 25/9, Europe 34/11)
    1974-1974 - Jewish Guild: 5 games
    1975-1975 - Dunstable Town (friendlies)
    1975-1975 - Stockport County: 3 games, 2 goals
    1976-1976 - Cork Celtic: 3 games, 0 goals
    1976-1976 - Los Angeles Aztecs: 24 games, 15 goals
    1976-1977 - Fulham: 47 games, 10 goals
    1977-1978 - Los Angeles Aztecs: 37 games, 14 goals
    1978-1979 - Fort Lauderdale Strikers: 33 games, 7 goals
    1979-1980 - Hibernian: 22 games, 3 goals
    1980-1981 - San Jose Earthquakes: 56 games, 21 goals
    1982-1982 - Golden Bay
    1983-1983 - Bournemouth: 5 games, 0 goals
    1983-1983 - Brisbane Lions: 4 games, 0 goals
    1984-1984 - Tobermore United
    1964-1978 - Northern Ireland: 37 games, 9 goals

Edit: just after noticing Jewish Guild as one of his teams! I must look into that....what a man:D

Yea that list seems right!! He got around didn't he!!

He also lined out for the Ford Open Prison as a player when he was in jail! That must have been hilarious. Imagine being able to say you played alongside Bestie...obviously leaving out what the team was.:D

Nunu wrote:
    He also lined out for the Ford Open Prison as a player when he was in jail! That must have been hilarious. Imagine being able to say you played alongside Bestie...obviously leaving out what the team was.:D

It'd be a great conversation starter!:D

Advertisement