Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torrents & TV

• 25-11-2005 2:05pm
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I dont know if this is the right place so mods feel free to move it.

Whats the difference between downloading a torrent for a tv show from a friend recording the tv show and giving it to me?

Is it breaking the law to do both or what?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

No difference IMHO but both probably violate the legal rights of the people who made the program and so are (technically) illegal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

well, you could argue that your friend only copied the show of tv and gave it to you, he didn't make it available for another thousand people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

Both break copyright law.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,233 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

John R wrote:
    Both break copyright law.

I didnt really thinking uscing your vcr was breaking the law.

I wonder why there is such effort in trying to trace torrent users when people use there vcr just as much.

Its more than likely if you have pc you have a vcr.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

kearnsr wrote:
    I didnt really thinking uscing your vcr was breaking the lay.

I wonder why there is such effort in trying to trace torrent users when people use there vcr just as much.

because torrenst are like taping a programme off tv, than making 1500 copies of it, and providing them to people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,872 ✭✭✭segadreamcast

...and don't a lot of torrents lack ads too? Thus, depriving of advertising revenue.

(I don't watch torrents, so I'm not sure)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

You are allowed to record from TV/Radio, but can only keep the copy for 3 days of something like that.

John

kearnsr wrote:
    I didnt really thinking uscing your vcr was breaking the lay.

Using a vcr of itself is not illegal. Using it to copy programmes and then distribute them to others is.

People that use VCRs to pirate films and hawk them at car boot sales are targetted.

NoelRock wrote:
    ...and don't a lot of torrents lack ads too? Thus, depriving of advertising revenue.

(I don't watch torrents, so I'm not sure)

Even if they did have ads it wouldn't matter as the original broadcaster cannot increase their ad rates based on the possibility of X amount of net geeks possibly watching the torrents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 354 ✭✭RefulgentGnomon

It's far harder to track people using their VCR and lending it to a friend in the pub, everyone knows where the torrents are.
    You are allowed to record from TV/Radio, but can only keep the copy for 3 days of something like that.
    Shouldn't you be able to put it on the internet for three days then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

No.... I never said you were allowed to distribute. Using torrents for personal use is fine.... well finer then sharing it.

John

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,137 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Sharing copyright material is illegal. Downloading illegal shared files, is of course, also illegal.

Discussion of illegal downloads is not permitted on this forum, so I'm closing this thread. But I think the OP's queries have been answered.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement