Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about tongue peircing!!!

Options
  • 25-11-2005 2:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭

I'm aware this has been done to death here at this stage, and I appologize for bringing the topic to the fore again, but with search down I'm unable to locate any other thread on the matter.

Anyway, here's the pitch.... I'm considering getting my tongue peirced but firstly I have a number of questions.

I'm not worried about the pain and that, I do however wish to know, roughly, how long does it take to heal?

How long will I have to eat stuff like, youghart, and mushed up bannana and all that sh!te??

What sort of after care is required??

Can the peircing be taken in and out once its healed??

Is it wise to consider getting a tongue peircing considering the fact that I train on Martial Arts??

Any answers to the above question would be much appreciated.

Memphis

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭braceface

I had my tongue pierced many moons ago in snakebite, they had an information leaflet that I picked up before getting it done that answered most of my questions. Drop in to places and ask questions, any decent place will be happy to answer.

Everybody's different, but I ate mush for about 2 days. You have to rinse with salt and water for about a week to keep it clean. I could take it out for 12 hours at a time (couldn't wear it in work).

don't know about the martial arts one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Shinners21

Have mine done a year now...

To be honest I didn't do the whole eating mush thing.. It was swollen for about 12 hours in total, I got it done at about 4 in the afternoon and just drank water and juice for the rest of the day, i had a packet of Chicatees (crisps) aswell... It wasn't half as bad as people say it will be.
    Aftercare wise I was advised to use mouthwash after meals (at least 3 times a day) I ws also advised not to smoke or drink alchopops or drinks with a lot of artificial colours in them until it had healed.
    Mine took about 3-4 weeks before the swelling had completely gone down but I didn't chage the bar for about 4 months...
    RE: The martial arts thing, I cant see that it would cause any problems once you are used to it and you don't go around with your tongue out..he he..
    You can also take ot out once it is healed but aparently it closes up really fast so I dont take any chances, max I have had it out for is approx 1 hour..

Hope this helps a bit... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

I had mine in for about 5 years.
    It was my first and favourite piercing. I can still remember coming home with a huge tongue and eating nothing but soup and popcorn for 3 days straight. Good times!
    I loved my tonuge piercing but it has completly destroyed my teeth, Ive had to get over 12 fillings thanks to that tongue bar and as much as I loved it I really regret getting it now because my teeth are in such a state.
    If you do get it done dont leave it in for any more than a year unless you wanna end up like me ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

I got my tongue done a few months ago. Didn't eat mush or anything solid foods for me since day one heh heh. Just drank loads of water with meals.
    After care, i rinsed with salt and water, and sometimes dilluted mouth wash. The swelling had completely gone down within one week and i changed the bar the same week. This might be considered to soon for some but i had no problems at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Thanks for all your replies people. Once I'm not eating mush and all that for any longer than about 5 days I don't mind.

Might get it done during the summer, when I have a few quid to have it done. Being a full time student i'm a bit skint at the moment.

By the way, how would the peircing effect your teeth? I don't understand.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Love

It can chip or break them.

I was wondering if anyone knew if this was still likely with plastic ones though...?

How in the name of God could a small little metal bar break/chip my teeth? That sounds like one of those wives tales on peircing to me!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

It can happen see here

It can happen see here
    Hmmmm.........

Thanks for that, I never would have considered it as a downside to a tongue peircing. I think I should really do a good bit more research into this before I go about getting it done!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭amazingemmet

You can get ptfe or acrylic balls that'll lessen the chance of that happening

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭Aimee_gleeson

Memphis no matter how may people you will ask they will all have a different opinion! I got mine done last feb had no teeth troubles at all. Was swollen and sore 1st day after i got it done! Rinsed my mouth with diluted mouth wash! You are told not to kiss anyone drink, smoke etc. I changed the bar on day 3 cause it was so big plus my tongue wasnt that swollen anymore all depends how you react to it! Was sore though dont get me wrong lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Panda Pogs xD

im getting mine done this friday xD my friends have it done and they use plastic/acrylic balls as to not hurt their teeth!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

plastic balls will not save your teeth. why would they? because they are softer? water is softer than rock, but the landscape will tell you that is not the issue. plastic balls are perfectly capable of eroding teeth and gums if poorly placed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Panda Pogs xD

Yeahh they do damage your teeth! But not as much as metal ones!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Pierced Off

Yes, plastic and acrylic do damage teeth. There is also the danger of cheap balls splitting and of swallowing the broken pieces. Also you shouldn't attempt to put plastic or acrylic near a fresh piercing as the chemicals used in the manafacture of these can be harmful when in contact with an open wound, which is essentially what a piercing is.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Yeahh they do damage your teeth! But not as much as metal ones!

well, if you mean accidentally biting the ball - the placement is poor.

Advertisement