Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need advice on a Shrimp Aquarium

• 25-11-2005 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

Hi all,

I went across all ten pages of this boards and didn't find anything so I'd just ask.
    We want to setup an aquarium with shrimp and wanted to hear about other Irish aquaphiles' experiances on this subject.
    I'd like to start a fresh water tank with one of these species : Amano Shrimps, Red Cherry or even a bunch of 'Ghost' Shrimps [or any shrimp i could find]. I have been looking a several petshrimp fan sites but now we are ready to get a bit more pratical.
    Of course I know I will have to cycle my tank for some weeks before i'd be able to put any in it, but I'd like to see what species are available in the shops around Dublin.
    Can anyone recomend me a place that sells live shrimps, the only pet shop I know around my area [Blanchardstown, D15] only has Marine [salted water] shrimps and the staff didn't seem very aware of anything other than fishes ... Maybe in PM to avoid advertising, don't know about how flexible the charter is in here about that ;)

DouD

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have an armoured shrimp. I haven't seen shrimp lately in any of the petshops I have been in (and I'm usually in 2-3 each weekend).

The shop in blanch don't usually stock shrimp. They have crayfish the odd occasion though. Wackers petshop in Parnell street is good for that kind of stuff. They also have a shop in Donnaghmeade, but the one in parnell street has a far wider selection of stuff. Give them a call first.

I'm not sure how exciting a tank full of shrimp is going to be .. you will rarely see them, if at all becuase the hide!! I mean really hide!!
    Is that all you plan to put in the tank?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Petstop in Blanchardstown Cntr occasionally stocks freshwater shrimp.

I'm in there EVERY weekend, and they have then seldom, maybe once a year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

They've had them twice in the last couple of months, must sell out fast:)

Must leave my number with them so, would love to know when they have them. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 doud

Hey,

thanks for the pointers, i'll be sure to check that out. Yeah Blanchardstown's petshop told me they stock them, but I always look in an empty tank.
    bubby wrote:
    I'm not sure how exciting a tank full of shrimp is going to be .. you will rarely see them, if at all becuase the hide!! I mean really hide!!
    Is that all you plan to put in the tank?
    My understanding is that depending on the type of fish you have in, the shrimp are more or less active, the curious fish [not the shrimp-hungry type] is enought to keep them hidden, the little shrimp are quite shy. If it doesn't turn out as interesting as we expect, we will always have the option to add some fishes in anyway.

DouD

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Mmm shrimp yum yum.

doud wrote:
    Hey,
    My understanding is that depending on the type of fish you have in, the shrimp are more or less active, the curious fish [not the shrimp-hungry type] is enought to keep them hidden, the little shrimp are quite shy. If it doesn't turn out as interesting as we expect, we will always have the option to add some fishes in anyway.

Very true Doud. Thinking about it now, it would be an interesting project.
    Let us know how you get on with it.

B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 771 ✭✭✭whiteshadow

you can get amano shrimp, cherry shrimp and ocassionaly others like armoured shrimp in fishfx in dun laoghaire. add loads of plants and they'll be happy as larry.

http://www.fishfx.net

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 doud

Thanks,

Will let you guys updated with project status [ once live shrimps have been introduced - who cares about plants ;) ]

DouD

• Advertisement
Advertisement