Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Manga collection

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Saruwatari

Ah, I'd love one of those individually-numbered-and-oh-so-awesome hardcover Akira books. Theres some on eBay too actually...

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

What manga out of your collection would you recommend the most, Scratch? I'm open to anything if it's good.

You may regret this, but here we go :P :

-'Genshiken' from Del Ray.
    Probably one of the best and most insightful comics dealing with fans themselves. It's just hiilarious, the characters are well-written and it's addictive as hell. 8 out of the 9 volumes have been released.

-'Planetes' from Tokyopop.
    It's been a really long tim since I read this but it stilll sticks in my mind as one of my favourite series. It's a sci-fi manga dealing with the crew of a ship which is effectively a rubbish collecting service. (Space-garbagemen in other words). The focues here is on character development rather than action. It's quite poignant in places. The art is lovely too. 5/5 volumes have been released.

-'Berserk' from Dark Horse.
    Beh, there's so much already written about this series. It's pretty much a fantasy manga set in some kind of medieval-esque time and place. It's pretty gritty, violent as hell and really goddamn compelling. In fact, you're probably familiar with this if you#re into manga, so I'll shut up now. It's up to, I think, 17 volumes in English out of about 30.

-'Oldboy' from Dark Horse.
    Well, this is kind of an acquired taste I think. It's very light on dialogue, but the artwork is excellent, though again, some may find it hard to get used to. You may have seen the filme of this. The manga is quite different in places, and certinaly worth checking out even if you've seen the movie. If you haven't heard of the movie, but you're into crime-centric comics, check this one out aswell. 6/8 volumes out so far.

-'Hunter X Hunter' from Viz.
    This is probably my favourite shonen title on the market. It's pretty popular so I'm sure you've heard of it. I like Togashi's artwork, and this series is addictive as all hell so...check it out if you're sick of 'Bleach' and 'Naruto'. 15 (I think) out of twenty-soemthing volumes are out in English.

-'Banana Fish' from Viz.
    This is a shojo series that started in the 80's that appealed to nearly as many males as it did females, because of it's action-centric storyline and just general kickass-ness. Wow, that's a retarded sentence. Anyway, it's just a great story with fascinating characters, so check it out if you're looking for a good older series. There's hints of a gay relationship between two of the central characters so avoid if you're an extreme homophobe I guess. The whole series is out in English.

-'Monster' by from Viz.
    Definitely one of the best titles being put out today. Just get it.

-Pretty much all tiles released by Viz in PULP magazine. This was a mag which started in 1999 I think, which had some fantastic series in it, taht there's no chance would be licensed these days. 'Short Cuts' by Usamaru Furuya, 'Heartbroken Angels' by Masahiko Kikuni, 'Dance 'Till Tomorrow' by Naoki Yamamoto (A personal favourite), 'Bakune Young' by Toyokazu Matsunaga, 'Black and White' by Taiyo Matsumoto. Actually, Vis are releasing the latter in one 600-page or so collection soon enough, keep an eye out for that.

Whew. A coupla others: 'Parasyte' (New edition from Del Ray), 'Crying Freeman' (New edition from Dark Horse), 'Blame!', 'Eden', 'Nodame Cantabile', 'GTO', 'Cromartie High School', 'Kurosagi Corpse Delivery Service', anything by Junji Ito, anything by Osamu Tezuka (particularly 'Buddha', 'Ode to Kirihito' and 'Phoenix'), 'Maison Ikkoku', 'Dragon Head', 'Fullmetal Alchemist', 'King of Thorn' (Great new series from Tokyopop, reminds me strongly of Lost, think they still have a coupla copies of the first volumes in FP, check it out)

OK, that's enough for a while. Hope this helps, sorry if I went a bit nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Hellsing vol. 1-7
    Negima vol. 1-14
    Death Note vol. 1-12
    Love Hina vol. 1-14
    Battle Vixens vol. 1-11
    Trigun vol. 2 (Hardback)
    Dragonball vol. 11

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

ordered angel cop 1-6 from amazon on thursday night :D....Hopefully it'll be here today ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Cheers Scratch. I'm well into Berserk (you guessed right :)) and Monster; both are my favourites. Up to whatever volume they are at in Englishland.

Hunter X Hunter was actually a manga I had my eye on so I'll take your word for it. Also I have never heard of Genshiken so I'll check that out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Scratch Acid

Alright man, good stuff. I haven't seen Genshiken in FP in a long time, I think there may be some volumes in the Third Place. Otherwise you're gonna have to get 'em online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

angel cop still has'nt come :( on another note i saw a trailer for wildarms looks good!i'll be looking to add that to my collection soon =D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Spoderman

Attempt at a list...in work so don't have anything definite to go by

A.I Love You 1-3
    Ai Yori Aoshi 1-16
    Air Gear 1-4
    Basilisk 1-5
    Battle Club 1-5
    Battle Vixens 1-11
    Battle Royale 1-14
    Because I'm The Goddess 1-2
    Chobits Vol 1
    Dears Vol 1
    Death Note 1-12
    Evils Return 1-4
    G.T.O 1-6
    Gacha Gacha 1-2
    GetBackers 1-14
    Ghost In The Shell (not sure of the numbers but at least 2 of the are GNs)
    Girls Bravo 1-6
    Junk Force 1-3
    Kami Kaze 1-3
    Lament of the Lamb 1-6
    Love Hina 1-16
    Mahoromatic 1-6
    My Hime 1-2
    Negima 1-8
    Ragnarok 1-2
    Remote 1-10
    Rose Hip Zero Vol 1
    Samurai Deeper Kyo 1-10
    Tenjho Tenge 1-14
    Welcome To The NHK 1-3

Probably stuff missing

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Zen 2nd

Got the 8th volume of Hellsing today, after such a long wait ^^

Finally got angel cop ep 1-6 from amazon on friday!Watched the first two eps this morning,and its good stuff so far =D

• Advertisement

got space adventure cobra and cyber city odeodeo during the wk in the post :D

Advertisement