Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Wee Problem

• 25-11-2005 4:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

couldn't resist the title..

ok, so our downstairs toilet is 5 years old and fully tiled.

It smells of urine. Not coincidentally we have a 6 year old boy with pretty poor aim. :D

My wonderful wife has tracked down the source of the smell to the floor tiles. She reckons that the smell is coming from the grouting. I'm inclined to agree with her.

I'm thinking that the solution is to try bleaching the grouting but somehow I think that's not going to be the end of the problem.

Regrout and seal ?

Suggestions welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

shabbyroad wrote:
    Regrout and seal ?
    the boy or the tiles?

I'm really sorry...
    /me hangs head in shame :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭dools

To be honest, I would recommend boiling water, a bottle of Dettol (the blue one smells much nicer than the regular one) and a scrubbing brush and scrub the grout. This is what I do at home to clean the bathroom. I'd do it a couple of times and see if that improves it. I would'nt be inclined to use bleach - reminds me of the loos in work after the cleaners have been - just smells cheap and foul.

D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 9"solids

check that there isn't pee going in under the toilet at tile level.
    Maybe run some grout or silicone aorund the base also.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭shabbyroad

Wifey used bleach and a bit of elbow grease. That seems to have fixed the problem - it took a few weeks for the smell to become noticeable so perhaps that'll sort it.

The child has been beaten with a bit stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Bleach degrades into chlorine and salt over time. This is accellerated with heat. I prefer the smell of bleach over dettol. It you soak in bleach it kills all bacteria, then if you had a steam cleaner, hairdryer or just boiling water, it should degrade the bleach pretty fast to get rid of the smell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

Check that there is no buildup of nasty stuff around the mountings for the seats too. That tends to be a place where mis-aimed stuff ends up and festers.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

shabbyroad, scrub the toilet all around the bottom, the tiles the grout (use a scrubbing brush if you have to get into all the grooves) with a good strong mixture of bread soda and warm water. It gets rid of the smell of pee from anything. Believe you me, I know, I have a three year old that pee'd for Ireland in our house while training and a couple of rooms smelled like urinals (no offence intended whatsoever to all you guys - but you have no idea how bad that smell is as you don't seem to get it up the nostrils the way us women do!) and a strong breadsoda and warm water scrub (or just dry breadsoda on carpets overnight...hoovered up in the am) works wonders! Also put a cork from a wine bottle into the loo for him to aim at so that you won't have the same peeing all over the place again. Let us know how you get on?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Also put a cork from a wine bottle into the loo for him to aim at so that you won't have the same peeing all over the place again. Let us know how you get on?

Top tip Builderwoman, I'm impressed.

Of course we cant hover over the target, like a harrier jump jet, as can the members of your gender.:D :D:D

kadman;)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Builderwoman!

Point taken Kadman. Hopefully all cleaners of male public toilets will take note and implement a bread soda wash policy....would make flying past them a whole lot more pleasant for female harrier jump jets!!!!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Touchee...Builderwoman

Kadman:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement