Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The british and Irish Isles.

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,804 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

thegent wrote:
    At last, you surrender.
    :rolleyes:

thegent wrote:
    Did I overestimate you? You can stretch intellectually can't you?
    2 week ban

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭Zaphod B

So is anyone actually going to respond to the suggestion, posted here several times by several people, that the Irish sea also be renamed? What? It's not a valid analogy? Ah, I forgot something is only valid when it supports your argument :D
    FTA69 wrote:
    Yeah. Simply spiffing. Do you think they'd loan me a cup of sugar?
    Yes, but poisoned English sugar. With English smallpox. The bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 underpantsgirl

Doesnt realy phase me but when we have good bands they like to say they are from the british isles, but they are just jealous!

gent got a bit smartassed but he gave as good as he got. oscar bravos picture is in bad taste also

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

The strange thing is that I keep hearing the term 'British isles' on Irish Radio usually on the shipping forecast or in relation to farming! I say strange because some of you say that Irish people never use the term - but they do!
    as do Aer Lingus, as do shipping companies, as do people on the other side of the World in NZ + Auz, becuase you see - the whole World recognises the Term 'British isles' and I have to say that its not a problem for me even though I am Irish. I dunderstand fully that the term is in relation to Geography only and nothing to do with ones Nationality and to be honest, anyone who thinks otherwise really needs to buy an Atlas for Christmas -
    (for detail see my previous post #22).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Zaphod B wrote:
    So is anyone actually going to respond to the suggestion, posted here several times by several people, that the Irish sea also be renamed? What? It's not a valid analogy? Ah, I forgot something is only valid when it supports your argument :D

I wouldnt mind the Irish sea being renamed, not in the slightest. If people from the Isle of Man or Britain feel its an exclusive name then id be happy to change it. The 'Irish and British Sea' or something. After all, im not from a country which likes forcing its identity onto other countries ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

oscar bravos picture is in bad taste also

How so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

RuggieBear wrote:
    How so?
    Because the user is not loathed by everyone, quite a few agreed with the poster, it was a misleading post.

gurramok wrote:
    Because the user is not loathed by everyone, quite a few agreed with the poster, it was a misleading post.

but the actual picture?

The picture gives the impression that the poster was frantically at his keyboard replying 24/7 all alone in his viewpoint which is not true

• Advertisement

gurramok wrote:
    The picture gives the impression that the poster was frantically at his keyboard replying 24/7 all alone in his viewpoint which is not true

and that's bad taste?

Yes, it makes as if the poster is some sort of paranoid and loathed(words of pic poster) nutcase with 4 hands hammering the keys of his keyboard with all 20 fingers trying to put across his lonely viewpoint which is a bit offensive.
    If not in bad taste, it was uncalled for imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

How's about we stick to the topic rather than going off on one about one of the gathering cards. There are various other outlets for that that no-one bothered to use. Or I could close it.

Incidentally what is probably my entire view on this has been posted here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭maccor

Gurgle wrote:
    who the hell are you?

I am me. pleased to meet you

& These are the Brittish Isles.

Geographically, we're Brittish.
    Nationality, someone Brittish could be English, Irish, Scottish or Welsh. Doesn't mean we're politically connected to the UK.

Canada is also part of America, dont hear them whinging that it should be called the continent of the united states of america and canada and mexico.

Canada is part of the americas is it not? North america is also part of the americas. Ireland is Ireland, not Great Britain. In fact northern ireland is also Ireland. Geogrpahically we're in Ireland not britain. The OP raises a valid point imho

Why should i believe someone's view on whats british who they cant even spell the word? (just wondering)

oscarBravo wrote:
    I take it you'd be in favour of renaming the Irish Sea, then?

i wouldnt mind - though it is the sea beside ireland. should they rename the english channel to something french or something? your line of reasoning seems a tad absurd to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭TheBigLebowski

maccor wrote:
    Canada is part of the americas is it not? North america is also part of the americas. (just wondering)

This is the point. Canada is called part of North America or The Americas but you wouldn't hear them saying "we want to be called something alse because we're not American" or "it should be called the north American and Canadian continent". No because it is purely geographical. How many times does this have to be said before it's understood?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Maskhadov

There is no reason not to call it the British and Irish isles. Its a progressive phrase and the reason it hasnt been changed is the simple reason that it wasnt taken up at political level.

maccor wrote:
    i wouldnt mind - though it is the sea beside ireland. should they rename the english channel to something french or something? your line of reasoning seems a tad absurd to me.

em I think it's beside Britain also...
    So maybe the Irish and British sea? And the English and French Channel?
    That could get ridiculous really.

This is the point. Canada is called part of North America or The Americas but you wouldn't hear them saying "we want to be called something alse because we're not American" or "it should be called the north American and Canadian continent". No because it is purely geographical. How many times does this have to be said before it's understood?

you obviously dont know many canadians then. they want nothing to do with america.

Maskhadov wrote:
    There is no reason not to call it the British and Irish isles. Its a progressive phrase and the reason it hasnt been changed is the simple reason that it wasnt taken up at political level.

Beacuse it's not political.

• Advertisement

em I think it's beside Britain also...
    So maybe the Irish and British sea? And the English and French Channel?
    That could get ridiculous really.

thats the point i was trying to raise. the irish sea is between england and irelan - its called the irish sea. the english channel is between france and england, so really its the french that should be complaining. also it bears absolutely nothing to calling a whole bunch of islands 'british' - as 'british' in all intents and purposes in the real world means 'english' .. and clearly we arent.

maccor wrote:
    you obviously dont know many canadians then. they want nothing to do with america.

And they have nothing to do with America politically. But they also have enough cop on to know that if you are part of the North American continent does not make you "An American".

put it like this - what would a canadian think if you told them they lived in the USA? thats the same as telling me I live in the british isles.

Beacuse it's not political.

I meant, it takes a political decision to change it. Its very simple, The PM of the UK just has to refer to it with a new phrase and hey presto we are "The British and Irish Isles". Its that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,078 ✭✭✭✭LordSutch

How Many times do you have to be told - The British & Irish Isles is just too long, as is the Irish and British Sea hence the British Isles, the Irish Sea, and the English Channel - maybe you want to start a petition to change the name of that to the French & English Channel? I am seriously getting board of this thread - its just going round & round - see Post #22 for the truth.............

maccor wrote:
    put it like this - what would a canadian think if you told them they lived in the USA? thats the same as telling me I live in the british isles.

Erm no it would be the same as telling the canadian he lived in North America.

ArthurF wrote:
    How Many times do you have to be told - The British & Irish Isles is just too long, as is the Irish and British Sea hence the British Isles, the Irish Sea, and the English Channel - maybe you want to start a petition to change the name of that to the French & English Channel? I am seriously getting board of this thread - its just going round & round - see Post #22 for the truth.............

Well if its too long why do they use almost the exact same phrase for the lions ?

The British and Irish Lions

The British and Irish Isles

exact same number of words. its only two extra words... it will only take an extra 1-2 seconds to say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

maccor wrote:
    ... also it bears absolutely nothing to calling a whole bunch of islands 'british' - as 'british' in all intents and purposes in the real world means 'english' .. and clearly we arent.

British is the nationality of people from England, Wales and Scotland, English is just ... erm ... England. That seems quite a bit different to me, or did I miss something.
    maccor wrote:

If you told a Canadian that they lived in the USA then they would quite rightly tell you that you are wrong, and I think the second part that you should have used there is:

"thats the same as telling me I'm British"

And if your Irish then your absolutely correct to tell them they are wrong.

However, if you were to tell a Canadian that they lived in North America then you would be correct, and that would be the same as telling somone who lives in Ireland that they live in the British Isles.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 seanin

ArthurF wrote:
    maybe you want to start a petition to change the name of that to the French & English Channel?

The French (and everyone else in mainland Europe/the world) call it 'La Manche'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

Maskhadov wrote:
    The british and Irish Isles.

I think we should start a campaign to change the offical title for the isles of the north west coast of mainland Europe to be re named "the British and Irish Isles". Everyone still refers to it as the "British Isles" even though we left the United Kingdom in the early part of the last century. Even on maps today the "British Isles" is still used and it shouldnt be.

The BBC is guilty of using this term as well and it is incorrect. If France were an Island beside Britain then it would be called the French and British Isles or vise versa.

I think the term belongs to the last days of the british empire and things have changed a great deal. I accept that we share many common values and traditions between the two islands but our own identity should be recognised seperately.

The IRFU was successful in renaming the "British Lions" to the "British and Irish Lions". So politicans can follow suit!!

Yae or nae ?
    I always find these arguements about placenames ridiculous. Why change a century's old name to suit some sensibilities. Its like that campaign to have the Persian Gulf renamed as the Gulf of Iran.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement