Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The british and Irish Isles.

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

a message from the sensible not ultra sensitive people of ireland to the people of the rest of the world who are confused about term "british isles"

we live in the political entity of republic of ireland which is located on the geographical entity of ireland which is also within a geographical entity known as british isles and is also in a political and geographical entity called europe and the geograpical entity known as earth.the geographical entity that is the british isles was documented in the early centuries AD,the term seems devoid of any political signifigance except among a few muppets in ireland who see any reason to attack britain or anything connected to britain/england as a just cause and probably vote Sinn Fein.The vast majoruty of people in ireland have gotten over the geographical and historical legacy of living next to the island that colonised half the world a few hundred years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

,the term seems devoid of any political signifigance except among a few muppets in ireland who see any reason to attack britain or anything connected to britain/england as a just cause and probably vote Sinn Fein.

Are you calling the people who would prefer a name change muppets?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

seanin wrote:
    The French (and everyone else in mainland Europe/the world) call it 'La Manche'
    I call bullsh!t. The germans call it Der Ärmelkanal. I assume plenty of countries have their own names for it in their own respective languages. The english speaking world refers to it as the English Channel. I bet 99% of the folks on here refer to it thus.

Ok locking this now

Seen this type of discussion on this board many times and circles and wagons come to mind

I would remind posters to please be civil with one another.
    If I have to do any further reminding, action will be taken to remove the problem :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement