Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meanwhile, on a continent near you

• 25-11-2005 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

A friend's mail provider adds irritating signature ads, for example:

Nu 12 maanden gratis Live Eredivisievoetbal bij 20 Mb ADSL voor maar
    EUR 39,95 per maand. Bestel op www.versatel.nl/voetbal

Versatel's web site offers 4Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up (not 20) and free
    evening and weekend calls within the Netherlands for the monthly 40 yoyos.

How soon over here, I wonder?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

enno wrote:
    A friend's mail provider adds irritating signature ads, for example:

Nu 12 maanden gratis Live Eredivisievoetbal bij 20 Mb ADSL voor maar
    EUR 39,95 per maand. Bestel op www.versatel.nl/voetbal

Versatel's web site offers 4Mb/s down, 1Mb/s up (not 20) and free
    evening and weekend calls within the Netherlands for the monthly 40 yoyos.

How soon over here, I wonder?

Fairly soon actually. Rumour has it that NTL are going to upgrade to 5m and 8m very soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

NTL irritate me, the way they stick their cable & broadband services to cities only and leave us rural folk with no option (if it ever comes) to go with €ircon or one of its resellers as a DSL solution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

You can't really blame them in fairness. There's no way they could make money ripping up the roads in small towns to lay cables. WiMax and other wireless techs seem to be the only real hope for rual areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

I'm sure the government has enough money to lay down fibre optic all over the country. They should do that in my opinion...
    People will then look at Ireland and go "those lucky fu*kers in Ireland all have 1Gb connections!". I'd like that...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

I'm sure the government has enough money to lay down fibre optic all over the country. They should do that in my opinion...
    People will then look at Ireland and go "those lucky fu*kers in Ireland all have 1Gb connections!". I'd like that...
    Actually we have a very good fibre backbone. The problems is getting it from the backbone to the home.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

Unfortunately most voters would think spending €5bn on FTTH is insane in a country where nothing else works, like health, education, or roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Blaster99 wrote:
    Unfortunately most voters would think spending €5bn on FTTH is insane in a country where nothing else works, like health, education, or roads.
    €5bn isn't that big an investment to keep gamers happy... Furthermore, we're used to the problems with health, education, roads... It adds to the charm of the country! But we can't be messing with internet connection speeds! That's a big no no!
    I really think "fiber optic for everyone" should be made a priority so that the Irish people can b*tch and moan about the problems encountered in health, education, roads...

And now I will stop talking sh!te... Sorry, had a long and difficult week...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 enno

I really think "fiber optic for everyone" should be made a priority ...

If the Brussocrats won't let our state give the multinationals grant aid any more, maybe we should build a digital infrastructure to attract them — not just the "information super-highway" (we have that already), but plenty of "on-ramps" as well.

"Save real-estate, heat, light; let your employees telework over the best infrastructure in the world! Better productivity without the stress of commuting!" and so on ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,715 ✭✭✭marco murphy

Laguna wrote:
    NTL irritate me, the way they stick their cable & broadband services to cities only and leave us rural folk with no option (if it ever comes) to go with €ircon or one of its resellers as a DSL solution.
    Exactly, iam about.... 3 miles from an exchange boundry :(

Bring BB to rural areas:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭OfflerCrocGod

Bring BB to rural areas:(
    Move.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

not just the "information super-highway" (we have that already)
    LMAO, more like the information super-bothrín
    :D

Advertisement