Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ATM VC Congested - Now requesting info about leased lines

• 25-11-2005 4:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭

An office I administer is on 3mbit DSL and in recent times. (last month and a half) they have been receiving many connection drops. Sometime they could be out for up to 10mins. This is unacceptable as the business relies on emails etc.

It seems as though the virtual connection has too high a contention ratio. The only option I have is to ring Eircom. Where do I stand though? Should I expect them to put me on a less loaded rack or are they just going to try and fill me up with rubbish?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

Probably fill you with rubbish. They will probably say "Due to the nature of the technology...." Do you have a SLA?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭roamer

paulm17781 wrote:
    Probably fill you with rubbish. They will probably say "Due to the nature of the technology...." Do you have a SLA?

No SLA afaik. Ill try ringing them anyway because it is terribly bad today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

I would perhaps suggest that ATM VC's have nothing to do with your connection drops. What do your line stats look like?

Well the error thats showing on the router is ATM VC Congested. What exactly do you mean by line stats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Blaster99

If that's what the router says, then what's probably what it is. Line stats like SNR and line attenuation. It could be an intermittently poor line that's causing drop-outs. But if the router says ATM VC Congested, I would stick with that...

• Advertisement

Blaster99 wrote:
    If that's what the router says, then what's probably what it is. Line stats like SNR and line attenuation. It could be an intermittently poor line that's causing drop-outs. But if the router says ATM VC Congested, I would stick with that...

No the line is definitely fine. Its only been happening for the last month and a half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

Move to another provider that will give you no contention or very low contention.

If you absolutely need high 99% reliability and require an SLA in the order of a few hours, then look at a leased line type solution.

Snaga wrote:
    Move to another provider that will give you no contention or very low contention.

If you absolutely need high 99% reliability and require an SLA in the order of a few hours, then look at a leased line type solution.

mmm, I will definitely have to look at an SLA. Is there any providers of broadband in Ireland that offer this?

What are the options for leased line in Ireland and what kind of money would you be talking?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,860 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

roamer wrote:
    mmm, I will definitely have to look at an SLA. Is there any providers of broadband in Ireland that offer this?

www.leap.ie offers SLA's on their ADSL, SDSL and wireless products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Snaga

What kind of SLA's are these? Eircom provide a 5 day SLA or something similar on an unbundled copper pair. The wireless products im sure they can provide a much better SLA on as they own the infrastructure.

(I did check their website and ran through a few of their pdf's but couldnt find anything).

• Advertisement
Advertisement