Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ferguson losing the plot?

• 25-11-2005 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭

Alex Fergusons reason for not pursuing Ballack
    "He is similar to players who play in that position for us already like Wayne Rooney and Paul Scholes and we want to target players in other positions.

"The biggest problem for us is numbers. We have been operating with a lot of young players in the team and we badly need a stronger squad.

"That is why we are targeting a couple of other positions."

He is saying that United need to target positions other than the central midfield, that they already have Scholes so why would they want Ballack?

He is making absolutely no sense to me, without a doubt the centre of Uniteds midfield is the one place that definitely needs improvement with Keane gone and Scholes being so out of form. The only other central midfielders at the club are Smith and Fletcher.

I hope that this doesn't mean that we are stuck with Smith, Fletcher and Scholes in midfield as Ferguson sees nothing wrong with it.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Maybe Ballack realised going to United would not be the most wise choice for his career and backed out of any possible deal and now Ferguson is just making excuses? Seems more likely to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

Its really hard to say with the Ballack/United situation. I'm not 100% sure but I dont think ballack is that industrious as a footballer. He wont give you a massive competitive edge I dont think. And I think he prefers to attack more than anything else. There is a guy sitting on the bench at Real Madrid called Thomas Gravesen that will solve everything. I really do think he is the answer. But as the last poster said. It is more likely Fergie went for Ballack and was told no thanks. I have a feeling Manchester United's days of attracting the Very Biggest and best players to united are over. But If there is one person to prove everyone wrong..

Its Fergie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

I reckon it's more spin from Fergie. He's trying to "crowbar" smith into some kind of keane role, a bad move imo. Smith is probably one of the best natural goal scorers I have seen and on recent form, he does not seem to be up for the "Keane" role.

A better candidate would be Rooney. Strong, fast and skilful. An ideal replacement for Keane.

Fergie is just playing the "we don't need hm card", like he did with Veron and Ronaldinho, with differing results. I say if Ballack said he would be interested, Fergie would go for him.

My guess is that Ballack is waiting to see if how the Manu season goes up t the Christmas. If they look as if they won't qualify for a CL place next season, which is likely, well then he won't move to them.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

like he did with Veron

Explain, Veron did sign for United?

Why would it be likely that United will not qualify for a CL place, they are in 3rd now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

You think Ballack is worried United won't get in to the CL?
    Yeh sure thats the reason :)

I'd imagine this is fergie playing his games, like he did with Veron and Ronadlinho also.
    If Ballack is interested, and is willing to go to United, he wil be signed.
    I however agree with Fergie that while Ballack would be a great player to get, the DMC is much much much more important to fill now that Keano is gone, and I imagine, as Fergie has already stated, it will be filled in the January window.
    After that he can look at Ballack

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

masterK wrote:
    He is saying that United need to target positions other than the central midfield
    There are 11 different positions in football, especially in Ferguson's teams. Attacking midfielder and defensive midfielders are 2 different players so just because Ferguson doesn't want another attacking midfielder doesn't mean he doesn't want a central midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Hobart wrote:
    I reckon it's more spin from Fergie. He's trying to "crowbar" smith into some kind of keane role, a bad move imo. Smith is probably one of the best natural goal scorers I have seen and on recent form, he does not seem to be up for the "Keane" role.

A better candidate would be Rooney. Strong, fast and skilful. An ideal replacement for Keane.

Fergie is just playing the "we don't need hm card", like he did with Veron and Ronaldinho, with differing results. I say if Ballack said he would be interested, Fergie would go for him.

My guess is that Ballack is waiting to see if how the Manu season goes up t the Christmas. If they look as if they won't qualify for a CL place next season, which is likely, well then he won't move to them.

What are yo talking about???
    Smith a natural goalscorer??
    Rooney as a replacement for keane???
    Ballack has played for Bayern in the CL this year so it wouldnt matter to him about United not qualifying as he is cuptied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Sajan wrote:
    There is a guy sitting on the bench at Real Madrid called Thomas Gravesen that will solve everything. I really do think he is the answer.

I agree I think he is a fantastic player and would be ideal for United. As an Arsenal fan I would love to have Wenger make a move for him.

yop wrote:
    Explain, Veron did sign for United?

Why would it be likely that United will not qualify for a CL place, they are in 3rd now?
    Yea,

Veron did sign for united. However, before his move from Lazio, Fergie was quoted as saying that they did not need him. Same as Ballack. He contended that scholes, keane, becks etc... where more than man enough to keep the midfield as was. He also said Becks was not for sale.

Fergies spin merchants are well known. Look at the leaks et al from the Keane saga.

As for my point on the CL. Manu are strugling at the moment. They look as if they might go out at the group stage. They do not have the team to win the CL, this season, and will struggle in the league to finish 3rd/4th imo.

Ballack has been quoted as saying that he wants ti go to a team that can win outside of the domestic titles (I'm paraphrasing) and this hints at only a small number of teams, such as chelsea and barca to name just 2. I suppose I'm being a realist here, and if Fergie thinks he can win domestic or Euro titles with a midfiled as it is, he is kidding himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

I think Gravesen would be a great player for Utd to go for. He's no Keano but he's got a lot of qualities we badly need right now. Like the joke says: Did ya hear who Utd's new sponsors are, polo mints cause they have something in common with the club, a great big hole in the middle.

RIP George Best.

• Advertisement

What are yo talking about???
    Smith a natural goalscorer??
    Rooney as a replacement for keane???
    Ballack has played for Bayern in the CL this year so it wouldnt matter to him about United not qualifying as he is cuptied

Thats my opinion. He had 14 goals in 37 apps for Leeds in his European career (came on as a sub 7 times) which is a fairly good record.

As for my point on Rooney. I know his position is striker/in the pocket, I just think that his build, football nouse, strenght, speed etc.. would lend greatly to a position as strong midfielder. Just a thought, nothing else.

As for Ballack being cup tied, I was refering to Manu qualifying next year, not this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

i think after years of losing the plot - Ferguson.. is coming round.

when he signed veron (a attacking midfielder) - Man Utd started to play a 4-5-1.. to accommodate veron..

beckham-veron-keane-scholes-giggs

it didnt work... he couldnt drop scholes

by signing Ballack he would have to do the same thing... a striker/scholes losing out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think what Fergie is saying is as another poster mentioned, we need a defensive midfielder more than an attacking one. If anything Smith would be easier to mould into an attacking midfielder surely? I think scholes has been off the boil for a while now and maybe time to replace him....I dunno if Ballack is the man to do so but surely he'd strengthen any midfield or squad for that matter. Maybe with the money that would be invovled Fergie is thinking he could try to prise Gattuso away from Milan, unlikely as it maybe...i think this style player is more the type we need and will be after in january and the summer. An organiser is needed accross midfield, Ballack may give that to them but he is similar to Scholes in the way he gets forward... United have a long way to go before we can be the team we once were, and maybe for fergie its down to priorities and a defensive midfielder has to a priority, I think alot of us agreed at the start of the season we needed another central midfielder, a big name. Surely now with Keane gone and miller on loan, we need at least 2/3 Central players, a defensive one beign the priority. Remember, the best teams are built on strong defenses...

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I would have thought, seeing United in action this season that what we need is a creative midfielder. I mean, how many clear cut chances did we get against Villareal the other night? None. We need Ballack, end of story. Scholes isn't up to the task any more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭MisterAnarchy

United should have bought Van Bommel but messed it up.
    They will no doubt make a hash of trying to sign Ballack,an excellent player and instead sign some bargain bin clown.
    Darren Fletcher is hopeless.
    He isnt a Premiership player ,not to mind Man Utd.
    He just runs around aimlessly like a kid,expending vast amounts of energy doing nothing as is too winded to create anything.
    As John Giles said 'he doesnt have a creative bone in his body'
    He is crap ,my dog is a better footballer than him.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

He is not the only player at man utd thats poor at the minute.
    Scholes hasn't played well for the last two seasons.
    United need to look at a replacement for both Scholes and Keane. Ballack is a fantastic box to box player and can be the driving force in a team, something that united have being lacking lately. I'm not saying he is the best defensively but he is good enough to trouble most midfileds in the world.

the fact is you can't replace Keane, you can only partly fill the gap. The same happens when a great player leaves any team.

Not too many clubs out their want to sell defensive midfileders that are champions league standard. Thats why they are so expensive. The fact that Chelsea bought three of the best is making them a bit hard to find too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I heard on football elite on the Soccer AM all sports show that he has already agreed a deal with madrid. Not excactly uber reliable but there you go.

Any he wouldnt sign for united. Cant see him taking the step down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

evilhomer wrote:
    He is not the only player at man utd thats poor at the minute.
    Scholes hasn't played well for the last two seasons.
    United need to look at a replacement for both Scholes and Keane. Ballack is a fantastic box to box player and can be the driving force in a team, something that united have being lacking lately. I'm not saying he is the best defensively but he is good enough to trouble most midfileds in the world.

the fact is you can't replace Keane, you can only partly fill the gap. The same happens when a great player leaves any team.

Not too many clubs out their want to sell defensive midfileders that are champions league standard. Thats why they are so expensive. The fact that Chelsea bought three of the best is making them a bit hard to find too.

Totally agree!!

Surely this should be called "Fergie Lost the Plot!". He has done nothing with the clubover the past few years and seems intent on signing rubish players who really would struggle to get a place in the starting lineup with Villa (I'm looking at you Djemba x2)

Hisobvious failings in the transfer market has been added to by the failings of his trust in the youth setup at united which, although there are signs of quality coming through in the future...the likes of fletcher should not be allowed near th pitch. He's utterly useless.

Scholes can't tackle. His passing has been awfull and he doesn't seem interested in playing most of the time.

A new midfield pairing is required, DMC and AMC. Ballack would fill 1 gap...Graveson would surely fill the other, but then you've got to look at the future (which Chelsea seem to understand) and sign younger players int he same mould. Ballack and Gravasen are both 30ish and would really only give 3 -4 years of top flight football. A massive overhaul is needed. Players need to leave as weell as come in. Keane was right in EVERYTHING he said.

Fergie should go back to scotland and take fletcher with him.

BEST - The worlds first playboy.......you will be sorely missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

It hurts my brain trying to wonder why alex didn't quit those couple of years ago. We are now in a position where nobody can see a long term solution to manu's recent failings. I can't wait to get the rest of this season over with and some sort of clear out happens. Maybe they can win the FA cup to give ferguson the last hoorah he's been wanting to go out on, even though its not another CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'd imagine United will have it hard to attract players until Ferguson is gone. After all, any player arriving will know that in a year or so the manager will be leaving and everything at the club could change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

IMO Ballack is a replacement for Scholes (but why they extended his contract after the way he played for the last 2 seasons is beyond me). Everything at United the last couple of years is a reaction to events instead of part of a plan. This is where Fergie has lost the plot (and the dressing room).

We don't need a defensive midfielder, we already have a very good one who can read the game well has good technique and physique, is good taking the ball upfield. But on the negative side he doesn't win headers in his own box and has problems concentrating on the field for 90 minutes. We need a replacement for him in his present position. Step forward Rio Ferdinand.

Now is the time to go out and buy his replacement when nobody is looking!

Sorry, there is a creative midfielder joining the club in january, he is callled John Obi Mikel.

PHB wrote:
    Sorry, there is a creative midfielder joining the club in january, he is callled John Obi Mikel.

That still might not happen. http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=328577

Besides why would you want a player who blatently wants to go to Chelsea? If I were a manager and I seen a player try that hard to get out of a contract would I still want him? No. He will never give you 100% on the pitch.

Not to mention you can't start to rely on another player U21. you need a midfielder who is already experienced in europe and has plenty of league experience too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Thats right! Look at Juve, most of their players have been brought in because they have the experience along with the hunger to achieve more. Have they ever been worried that a transfer might not work out? Not half as much as with ManU. Every year, new transfers come in and nobody is sure how well the money was spent. Heinze was one of the few pleasent surprises and so might Park(not sure yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭homerjay540

PHB wrote:
    John Obi Mikel is 18 years old. he is not coming as a first team player. (I assume thats what you were getting at) hopefully in a few years he will be good enough to take over from scholes but we will have to wait and see how he turns out.

btw, all this talk about defensive midfielder/attacking midfielder and regular midfielder is pretty irrelavent. a good midfielder can do it all - roy keane 4 or 5 years ago. the term defensive midfielder only became important to united when ferguson realised that keane couldn't do everything, so he told him to sit back a bit and not go forward so much. the problem with ballack is like Sajan said earlier, he is not industrious enough (anytime i've watched him anyway) - a bit like veron. if united are going back to 4-4-2, i think that they need somebody who hasn't got any problem covering all the ground - going forward and getting back. although it would never happen, i would love to see Xabi Alonso in the center of midfield alongside scholes.
    the other two players i would like to see join are Joaquin (replace giggs next year) and Shay Given (van der saar won't be around for an aweful lot longer)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Is the Obi Mikel situation any closer to being resolved? I've heard nothing on the matter in the last month.

John Obi Mikel is 18 years old. he is not coming as a first team player. (I assume thats what you were getting at) hopefully in a few years he will be good enough to take over from scholes but we will have to wait and see how he turns out.

btw, all this talk about defensive midfielder/attacking midfielder and regular midfielder is pretty irrelavent. a good midfielder can do it all - roy keane 4 or 5 years ago. the term defensive midfielder only became important to united when ferguson realised that keane couldn't do everything, so he told him to sit back a bit and not go forward so much. the problem with ballack is like Sajan said earlier, he is not industrious enough (anytime i've watched him anyway) - a bit like veron. if united are going back to 4-4-2, i think that they need somebody who hasn't got any problem covering all the ground - going forward and getting back. although it would never happen, i would love to see Xabi Alonso in the center of midfield alongside scholes.
    the other two players i would like to see join are Joaquin (replace giggs next year) and Shay Given (van der saar won't be around for an aweful lot longer)
    Xabi has a long contract with the pool, great player imo. Shay won't be coming...fergie's plan is for van der sar to play for 2 years (the length of his contract) and then Tim Howard to come back in. Tim is a VERY good keeper, just look at his first season. He needs to settle a bit better and I reckon when VDS retires Tim'll be one of the best in the prem.

Keane could go box to box yes but he was always classed as aDMC, because his best abilities where defensive. He's not a creative player int he same vein as scholes or veron and I don't think that the split between DMC and AMC came only inthe past fw years. Scholes is an attacking midfielder and with Keane, a defensive minded player, sitting in beside him united had a complete midfield. Now there is nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

sprinkles wrote:
    Shay won't be coming...fergie's plan is for van der sar to play for 2 years (the length of his contract) and then Tim Howard to come back in. Tim is a VERY good keeper, just look at his first season. He needs to settle a bit better and I reckon when VDS retires Tim'll be one of the best in the prem.

I don't see this hapenning. Howard was dropped for a reason. This may be Ferguson's plan but he's got too much blind faith in his players and it's costing the team. On top of that Ferguson will be gone by June so it doesn't matter what his plan is.

sprinkles wrote:
    ...Tim is a VERY good keeper, just look at his first season. He needs to settle a bit better and I reckon when VDS retires Tim'll be one of the best in the prem...
    I agree that tim is very tallented and a great shot stopper (similar to bosnich in those respects, i think) but the problem is his concentration. if i were planning on putting him back into team after VDS retires, i would loan him out to another premiership club next season, for the whole season to get some idea of weather his consentration has improved or not (although there then is the issue of the pressure for playing for united) rather than just putting him into the team for the 06/07 season.
    sprinkles wrote:
    ...I don't think that the split between DMC and AMC came only inthe past fw years. Scholes is an attacking midfielder and with Keane, a defensive minded player, sitting in beside him united had a complete midfield. Now there is nothing
    yes, roy was considered more defensive minded and everybody knows scholes' ability in attacking situations. what i was trying to get at was the fact that roy was very competent when he went forward and likewise for scholes in defensive situations. this in comparison to ballack (as this thread was started) who i would consider to be lacking when it comes to the defensive part of the game.

and yes, i know that there is no chance of alonso moving to united. as for given i know it would be unlikely as he is actually looking for a new contract there. i still think that it would be nice to get him tho.
    a few people have been mentioning gattuso in this thread also. if the glazers were willing to put up the money then that would be great.

• Advertisement

Dr J wrote:
    I don't see this hapenning. Howard was dropped for a reason. This may be Ferguson's plan but he's got too much blind faith in his players and it's costing the team. On top of that Ferguson will be gone by June so it doesn't matter what his plan is.
    Why did Tim sign a brand new contract, knowing fergie was bringing in a new keeper....he knows he's going to get a shot at being number 1 in 2 years time. He'll be good.
    yes, roy was considered more defensive minded and everybody knows scholes' ability in attacking situations. what i was trying to get at was the fact that roy was very competent when he went forward and likewise for scholes in defensive situations. this in comparison to ballack (as this thread was started) who i would consider to be lacking when it comes to the defensive part of the game.

Can you honestly say scholes is competent in defensive abilities. Waych him "try" and tackle someone next time. He gets yellow carded every game and narrowly misses getting sent off. He's a very very bad tackler and can't defend to save himself. That is why the pairing of keane and schole worked so well....he didn't have to defend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Sajan

First off I think that there is a huge under current coming out of Manchester United to Make Alex Ferguson the scape goat in regard to United's problems. And I dont think its fair that people have turned on him the way they have. Fergie Picks the team, Instructs tactics and acts as a motivator. As any manager would. But there is something more going on at the club. Its effecting everyone. I'm a Liverpool fan and am definitely sticking up for Ferguson here. I'm not too sure that he has lost the plot. I think that he is being made a figurehead in the general dimise of the club. And everyone at the club should have more faith and trust in a man that built United into the club that it is.

Sajan wrote:
    First off I think that there is a huge under current coming out of Manchester United to Make Alex Ferguson the scape goat in regard to United's problems. And I dont think its fair that people have turned on him the way they have. Fergie Picks the team, Instructs tactics and acts as a motivator. As any manager would. But there is something more going on at the club. Its effecting everyone. I'm a Liverpool fan and am definitely sticking up for Ferguson here. I'm not too sure that he has lost the plot. I think that he is being made a figurehead in the general dimise of the club. And everyone at the club should have more faith and trust in a man that built United into the club that it is.
    Weel looks like he has no plans to retire at the end of the season and he reckons he won't be buying anyone till the summer. uefa cup next season I guess.

Can you honestly say scholes is competent in defensive abilities. Waych him "try" and tackle someone next time. He gets yellow carded every game and narrowly misses getting sent off. He's a very very bad tackler and can't defend to save himself. That is why the pairing of keane and schole worked so well....he didn't have to defend.

i'd still prefer to have scholes defending than ballack. scholes isn't a great tackler but at least he does harass the opposition and get stuck in.

How often have you really seen Ballack play?
    He gets back and defends just as much as Scholesy does, and is equally bad at it :)

John Obi Mikel is another youth player who will come through and add a creative spark. Our problem isn't in creativity, its in control.
    Scholes Smith and Fletcher aren't cutting it in midfield in terms of domination.
    I'd love to get Ballack, and he'd make a huge difference to United replacing Scholes, but at the same time, the last few matches have shown we really need a strong midfielder to boss games, like Gattuso, he'd be an incredible buy, but I dont know if we can get him.
    I trust fergie to make the right buy though

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Plan and simple he is trying to save face after admiting that he wanted Ballack to come to Utd.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:
    How often have you really seen Ballack play?
    He gets back and defends just as much as Scholesy does, and is equally bad at it :)

John Obi Mikel is another youth player who will come through and add a creative spark. Our problem isn't in creativity, its in control.
    Scholes Smith and Fletcher aren't cutting it in midfield in terms of domination.
    I'd love to get Ballack, and he'd make a huge difference to United replacing Scholes, but at the same time, the last few matches have shown we really need a strong midfielder to boss games, like Gattuso, he'd be an incredible buy, but I dont know if we can get him.
    Your clearly not basing your trust on his more recent buys :)

PHB wrote:

I wouldn't.

Yeh but I have a memory beyond 3 years, and I remember all of the thing he has done right, not to mention the signing of Ronaldo and Rooney in the last 3 years, Ronaldo being a special find(I rate Ronaldo as having greater potential than Rooney)
    Heinze was also a quality buy
    Also we have yet to see the impact of Saha, which I feel will be big, and still have great fate in him.
    Also the purchases of really good youth players over the last 3 years are starting to come to fruition, Pique and Rossi being the notable examples, but also homegrown Jones, the future Scholesy.

I have no reason whatsoever not to believe Fergie can fix it.
    Sure he bought DD, Kleberson and Miller and they all failed, but thats what happens sometimes, and I expect him to pick up the pieces.

p.s.
    If ballack wants to come to united, fergie will sign him. I think fergie just doesn't want to go after him and then not get him, which suggests to me he is definally on his way to real madrid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

PHB wrote:
    Yeh but I have a memory beyond 3 years, and I remember all of the thing he has done right, not to mention the signing of Ronaldo and Rooney in the last 3 years, Ronaldo being a special find(I rate Ronaldo as having greater potential than Rooney)
    Also we have yet to see the impact of Saha, which I feel will be big, and still have great fate in him.
    Also the purchases of really good youth players over the last 3 years are starting to come to fruition, Pique and Rossi being the notable examples, but also homegrown Jones, the future Scholesy.

Sure he bought DD, Kleberson and Miller and they all failed, but thats what happens sometimes, and I expect him to pick up the pieces.

p.s.
    If ballack wants to come to united, fergie will sign him. I think fergie just doesn't want to go after him and then not get him, which suggests to me he is definally on his way to real madrid.

I agree with you ther PHB. I have been critical of Saha but he did look very good in the last game he played for a play just back from injury. I hope he can stay injury free and get a run in the team.

My opinon on Ballack is that he is too old for United. Fergie will be looking for a Keane replacement around the same age as Rooney and Ronaldo. Ballack will be 30 next summer .

Every manage has made bad buys and replacing Keane was never going to be easy. I too have confidence that Fergi will find the right man for the position.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

i think a replacement around the ronalde/rooney age is too young. You need someone in their mid 20's (something like the age keane was). They would still be learning their trade but not from almost scratch if ya know what i mean.

• Advertisement

PHB wrote:

p.s.

Don't forget Veron, Bellion and Forlan (who has been unbelievable since leaving for Villereal) in that list of failures, I'm not saying Ferguson hasn't done good things for the club the young players that came through in the 90's were outstanding.

But the fact remains that he has bought more poor players then good ones recently.

Sure you can spend 12 million and 24 million on Ronaldo and Rooney, of course for that money you will get good players.
    But most players who have been bought in as replacments just haven't done it.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

Dr J wrote:
    I don't see this hapenning. Howard was dropped for a reason.

Have to agree. United bought Ben Foster this summer and loaned him out to Watford(apparently he is doing very well) for 2 seasons by which time Van Der Sar's contract will have expired so I would expect to see him in the team before Howard.

Also on Fletcher as one of the big problems with the midfield from a post I have in another thread

"went to see them play Chelsea and beside the goal he did nothing. He has no pace, cann't get past his man and is very weak in the tackle and gives the ball away more than any other player at united. I'm a big United fan and would rather see Ronaldo Smith Scholes and Giggs(when he is fit) in the middle. I have my own thinking behind why he is playing week in week out, I think(and I have no doubt that a lot of people may disagree with me) that Ferguson is doing his best to turn him into some sort of semi-decent footballer in an effort to give Scotland some hope for the future. Just my opinion but I cann't see any other reason behind it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

Dr J wrote:
    I don't see this hapenning. Howard was dropped for a reason.
    And the reason is because he was having a tough time, doesn't mean his career is over. Ferguson needed to take him out of the spotlight. He's still a young guy and 'keepers come under extra pressure at United, given their many failed attempts to replace Schmeical.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭merlinsmerryman

And the reason is because he was having a tough time, doesn't mean his career is over. Ferguson needed to take him out of the spotlight. He's still a young guy and 'keepers come under extra pressure at United, given their many failed attempts to replace Schmeical.

Good point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

i actually think ferguson has been unlucky in the transfer market. veron is a classic example. he really is a world class player but just couldnt cut it in england. forlan has turned out to be very good, therefore again just couldnt cut it in england. kleberson is a world cup winner with brazil and failed horribly. djemba djemba was seen as one of the brightest talents in france but couldnt cut it in england.

as im writing this i realise he may have been unlucky a few times too many. which makes his next signing of huge importance. i think he will sign a squad player in january and a big signing in the summer. these two signings will have a huge impact on where united go in the next few years.

im hoping the great scot can work some magic for us.

Veron, Bellion and Forlan

I don't consider Veron a failure
    Bellion is still unknown, but is about to break into the West Ham squad so we'll see, also he cost nothing.
    Forland was probably a failure, although he did pretty well when he actually played.

As for Fletcher, I think the guy has huge potential.
    The thing is, he is a defensive minded midfielder.
    So the really quality things he does doesn't have the same effect as say Rooney or Ronaldo.
    When Rooney and Ronaldo do something magical it tends to result in goals, while when Fletcher does it, he stops goals.
    A great team player who contributes a lot.
    Going forward he makes quite a few mistakes, but its not the end of the world, thats not why he is in the team.
    He is in the team to help them win, and produces goals when it is required.
    p.s. he is only 20, and missed a year through injury. Going to be a quality player.
    That said, I'd still like to see him being trained in, and not forced to play every game.

Howard, Remember the first season? He was absolutely amazing. Won Goalie of the year. Just needs his confidence back, and will get it under VDS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

The Carling Opta scores illustrate United problems

GK in top 5
    2 defenders in top 5
    2 forwards in top 5

I have my own thinking behind why he is playing week in week out, I think(and I have no doubt that a lot of people may disagree with me) that Ferguson is doing his best to turn him into some sort of semi-decent footballer in an effort to give Scotland some hope for the future. Just my opinion but I cann't see any other reason behind it."

i tend to share your scepticism there.
    PHB wrote:
    As for Fletcher, I think the guy has huge potential.
    The thing is, he is a defensive minded midfielder.

i haven't personally seen a lot of this. to me he seems to be as good/bad/indifferent on the wing as in the center. it is hard to rate a player when he is so young but i am not very confident about him. i have no doubt that he will be a premiership quality player but i don't think he will ever be good enough to hold down a regular place in the man u team. the problem is that ferguson has to play him as he currently has no alternatives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

ziggy67 wrote:
    BTW i don't know anyone in Scotland who rates Fletcher, everyone seems to think he is crap--->average.
    hasn't he captained scotland? somebody, somewhere must like him.

• Advertisement
Advertisement