Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This Government is a disgrace !

Options
  • 25-11-2005 8:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭

Never in the history of Ireland has such a travesty been tolerated, It is time for Irish men and women to take to the streets and have "a green revolution" this government is sitting idly by and allowing hundreds of Irish ferries sailing jobs to be replaced by cheap outsourced labour, they are destroying the health system of Ireland with Harney's neoliberal pro capitalist agenda only today a report has said that the few hospital beds the government say they have delivered are actually trolley and couches, what next i suppose they will define the chairs in the waiting rooms of A&E as beds.

They are a thundering disgrace and Fianna Fail should bow their heads in shame to even call themselves republicans, They are undoing everything good in this country and if Connolly and larkin were alive today they would shoot the current government as quick as they shot the tans. They are driving this country on a race to the bottom with slave bonded labour and cutting jobs while costs spirals out of control, It is high time that they were replaced with another broad ranging coalition, It happened sometime back in the 1930's i believe. If something isn't done soon the country will descend into Civil War. Fianna Fail and the Pds are quite frankly nothing short of traitors to this country. They have the telecommunications side of this country in a sh*t since they privatised Eircom, Like can you get broadband, bet ya can't like myself. Did you receive a letter lately posted about a month ago, They are destroying all public essential services and only watching to throw them out the vultures of private enterprise. As i speak there is a Hidden Agenda, by the Pds to Privatise, the ESB, CIE, The education system, and increased outsourcing of Civil service jobs.

We as a nation can not allow this government to carry on any longer they will bring to the country to its knees when the housing bubble bursts early next year. Ireland's "boom" is based on Construction and when that goes bye bye Ireland, we will be faced the prospect of Emigrating out while our country is taken over by Slavonic eastern Europeans. We voted no to this and they broke the rules and had another referendum. It is the priority of every man, woman and child of this nation that our forefathers died after an 800yr struggle to liberate. How dare Fianna Fail and the PDs try and privatise the Country.

They have wasted billions of euro on nonsensical spending and as Pat Rabbite said, Deloitte and Touche were delighted and touched. Stand up and be counted and take the battle to them. There is many things that can be done, I myself attended my Local Fianna Fail cum man and rose the roof about privatisation and the other travesties this government has carried out. A topic that was discussed was Waste, The Fianna Fail delegates were proposing getting Private Operators to carry out the essential job of collecting the garbage of my community. I gave them a mouthful and they could only agree with me.

This is the biggest issue Ireland will ever face and unless we as a society do something about it. It is our children and their Children that will ultimately pay the price.

This government must be stopped and speedily replaced.

Privatisation will ruin Ireland. and it will be every man for himself like the lions den of America.

Comments

Paragraphs

• Registered Users Posts: 20,992 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Ah it's not worth reading anyway, look who posted it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

netwhizkid wrote:
    Never in the history of Ireland has such a travesty been tolerated, It is time for Irish men and women to take to the streets and have "a green revolution" this government is sitting idly by and allowing hundreds of Irish ferries sailing jobs to be replaced by cheap outsourced labour, they are destroying the health system of Ireland with Harney's neoliberal pro capitalist agenda only today a report has said that the few hospital beds the government say they have delivered are actually trolley and couches, what next i suppose they will define the chairs in the waiting rooms of A&E as beds.

They are a thundering disgrace and Fianna Fail should bow their heads in shame to even call themselves republicans, They are undoing everything good in this country and if Connolly and larkin were alive today they would shoot the current government as quick as they shot the tans. They are driving this country on a race to the bottom with slave bonded labour and cutting jobs while costs spirals out of control, It is high time that they were replaced with another broad ranging coalition, It happened sometime back in the 1930's i believe. If something isn't done soon the country will descend into Civil War. Fianna Fail and the Pds are quite frankly nothing short of traitors to this country. They have the telecommunications side of this country in a sh*t since they privatised Eircom, Like can you get broadband, bet ya can't like myself. Did you receive a letter lately posted about a month ago, They are destroying all public essential services and only watching to throw them out the vultures of private enterprise. As i speak there is a Hidden Agenda, by the Pds to Privatise, the ESB, CIE, The education system, and increased outsourcing of Civil service jobs.

We as a nation can not allow this government to carry on any longer they will bring to the country to its knees when the housing bubble bursts early next year. Ireland's "boom" is based on Construction and when that goes bye bye Ireland, we will be faced the prospect of Emigrating out while our country is taken over by Slavonic eastern Europeans. We voted no to this and they broke the rules and had another referendum. It is the priority of every man, woman and child of this nation that our forefathers died after an 800yr struggle to liberate. How dare Fianna Fail and the PDs try and privatise the Country.

They have wasted billions of euro on nonsensical spending and as Pat Rabbite said, Deloitte and Touche were delighted and touched. Stand up and be counted and take the battle to them. There is many things that can be done, I myself attended my Local Fianna Fail cum man and rose the roof about privatisation and the other travesties this government has carried out. A topic that was discussed was Waste, The Fianna Fail delegates were proposing getting Private Operators to carry out the essential job of collecting the garbage of my community. I gave them a mouthful and they could only agree with me.

This is the biggest issue Ireland will ever face and unless we as a society do something about it. It is our children and their Children that will ultimately pay the price.

Privatisation will ruin Ireland. and it will be every man for himself like the lions den of America.
    Funniest rant ever :D

Honestly a lot of what you said is just plain retarded. No civil war is forthcoming, the Celtic Tiger was not based on construction, the country is not about to be taken over east europeans etc.

What exactly about privatised garbage collection would have Connolly rolling in his grave?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

netwhizkid wrote:

Don't blame me, I voted for Kronos

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

but there's simply no point now!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Hmmm...ruled by the existing government or people like your good self.

Sad to say, I'd pick this government..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

only problem is that the crowd you replace them with would be even worse...the day SF get into power is the day I emigrate..can agree with the above rant..all politicians all think that they're above the law and that they know best..they'l ignore all the experts advice etc and in the end make a complete f>ckup..eg. Port tunnel..now this is where the politician that decided this should have his head slapped again the roof till either he dies or the roof goes up a few inches.
    I'm beginning to think that this democracy crap is never going to work..95% of people are just too corrupt or would be easily coerced into having the easy life instead of helping their fellow man..

so roll on the Revolution

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

Do you seriously think privatising CIE is a bad thing?? How many times has your Bus been on time in the last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

This place is such a kip, thats why tens of thousands of eastern europeans have come here to live, college graduates dont have to leave their conferrings and get straight back to their jobs abroad, interest rates are so low, unemployment is practically unheard of, inflation and national debt are at all time lows.....yes this place is a disgrace.....

• Advertisement

Kazujo wrote:
    Do you seriously think privatising CIE is a bad thing?? How many times has your Bus been on time in the last year?

The problem with privatisation is that a private company would likely only service the more profitable routes. I think stricter regulation is needed and also CIE needs those new buses that the government promises. Also GPS should be installed so people can keep track of where buses are actually going.

I'd also love to know what goes on with most "out of service" buses. I've seen a lot of buses switch to "out of service" on their way to the city centre when they're actually taking the usual route and could easily have taken passengers along the way.

Timetables also need to be updated. Many of the timetables that are printed on shelters and dublinbus.ie are out of date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

OK, Despite being a raving left wing bleeding heart liberal(TM) and as anti-Fianna Fail as anyone else, I'll try to anser some of your points:
    netwhizkid wrote:
    this government is sitting idly by and allowing hundreds of Irish ferries sailing jobs to be replaced by cheap outsourced labour
    This government can do sfa about it.Minimum wage does not apply to working at sea. If it was to be applied, its no skin off Irish Ferries' noses to go register the boat in Kuala-Lumpor and pay their taxes there .
    The answer to that is for us, the customers, to not use Irish Ferries.
    At All.
    They will sink into bankruptcy within a year, and the lesson will be learned by anyone thinking similar thoughts.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    they are destroying the health system of Ireland with Harney's neoliberal pro capitalist agenda only today a report has said that the few hospital beds the government say they have delivered are actually trolley and couches, what next i suppose they will define the chairs in the waiting rooms of A&E as beds.
    More private clinics & hospitals -> more public beds available for those who don't have health insurance. About ****ing time!
    netwhizkid wrote:
    They are a thundering disgrace and blah blah blah.
    :rolleyes:
    netwhizkid wrote:
    They have the telecommunications side of this country in a sh*t since they privatised Eircom, Like can you get broadband, bet ya can't like myself.
    Can, have, very reliable. Nowhere near as fast & cheap as in european countries with population centres in the tens of millions but not bad for a geographically distributed city-state population like ourselves.
    Would'nt have anything if they didnt finally privatise the great white elephant of Eircom and let it totter along at massive costs and no attempt at efficiency for another couple of decade
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Did you receive a letter lately posted about a month ago, They are destroying all public essential services and only watching to throw them out the vultures of private enterprise. As i speak there is a Hidden Agenda, by the Pds to Privatise, the ESB, CIE, The education system, and increased outsourcing of Civil service jobs.
    With the exception of the ESB, the public sector / civil service in Ireland doesn't work as is. For every 1 civil servant who works hard all day, theres 10 who whinge about benchmarking and sit around doing nothing all day. Lets see how they get on when their pay raises depend on performance rather than seniority.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    when the housing bubble bursts early next year.
    €10 says it doesnt happen :D
    netwhizkid wrote:
    Ireland's "boom" is based on Construction
    No, the construction boom is based on the country's economic performance.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    we will be faced the prospect of Emigrating out while our country is taken over by Slavonic eastern Europeans.
    Hey, lets round them up into gas chambers, that hasn't been done in a while.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    The Fianna Fail delegates were proposing getting Private Operators to carry out the essential job of collecting the garbage of my community. I gave them a mouthful and they could only agree with me.
    Privatisation isnt the problem with rubbish collection, its awarding monopolies to private companies. Give any company a monopoly, they're going to exploit it. It should have been opened up to competition nationwide.
    (Of course we shouldn't be paying waste collection at all, but the corrupt lying scumbags in government give all our taxes to incompetant consultants.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Bloodychancer

Stark wrote:

I'd also love to know what goes on with most "out of service" buses. I've seen a lot of buses switch to "out of service" on their way to the city centre when they're actually taking the usual route and could easily have taken passengers along the way.

Its off topic here but if you post the question in Commuting and transport I would be glad to answer it .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Lots of people seem to be criticising the governments handling of the whole Irish Ferries situation, but I'd like to know what these people think the government should be doing ? It's a private company free to hire and fire who it likes, and if I'm not mistaken they're not even technically an Irish company. The government can't just march in and start giving them orders, any more than they can march into your house and tell you what to eat for dinner. I remember hearing something about the Soviet Union collapsing, I must have missed the part about it reforming here in sunny old Ireland afterwards :rolleyes: .

To me the real travesty here is that port workers are going to blockade ports preventing ships from docking, and denying Irish citizens entry to their own country.

Personally if I was in power, I'd have the people who have taken over the ships in Wales arrested under international piracy laws, and I would use tear gas on anyone trying to blockade an Irish port. People have a right to protest sure, but not at the expense of other peoples freedom of movement and ownership of property rights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

stevenmu wrote:
    Lots of people seem to be criticising the governments handling of the whole Irish Ferries situation, but I'd like to know what these people think the government should be doing ? It's a private company free to hire and fire who it likes, and if I'm not mistaken they're not even technically an Irish company. The government can't just march in and start giving them orders, any more than they can march into your house and tell you what to eat for dinner. I remember hearing something about the Soviet Union collapsing, I must have missed the part about it reforming here in sunny old Ireland afterwards :rolleyes: .

To me the real travesty here is that port workers are going to blockade ports preventing ships from docking, and denying Irish citizens entry to their own country.

Would you feel this way if your own employer (presuming you have one) decided to give you your marching orders only to be replaced by €3.60 an hour bonded labour. If Irish Ferries are not prepared to act in a decent way like the people of the country they are serving they should get out as they have no right here then.
    Personally if I was in power, I'd have the people who have taken over the ships in Wales arrested under international piracy laws, and I would use tear gas on anyone trying to blockade an Irish port. People have a right to protest sure, but not at the expense of other peoples freedom of movement and ownership of property rights.

Nobody is blockading an Irish port although imo they should be, Pirates rob ship as was recently demonstrated off the shores of Somalia. Nobodies movement is being curtailed, it is not as if the Unions will be isolating Ireland, Have you heard of the Aeroplane? It was invented 102 years ago by the Wright bros.

Ownership of property rights?
    Did somebody thing try to take your property recently? I never heard of any property rights being taken away by the disenfranchised Ferry workers who would be replaced by bonded labour. Like the Eastern Europeans are as much victims in this as are the Irish. Quite basically if you can't argue properly don't bother.

The fact is good paying jobs would be cut for what? Capitalist Greed, How could anyone justify this, and if the government will have the balls to stand up to Irish Ferries and take them on, they are the rulers of Ireland, Not capitalist greed. If Irish Ferries are not happy with operating in Ireland, they can go to India or some other place where hundreds regularly drown on overcrowded ships as it is in these sort of conditions Irish Ferries would like to have here. I was thinking of actually buying a car from England soon, thank goodness for Cork-Swansea, because I’d drive a donkey cart before supporting these tramps at Irish Ferries, (the management, not the innocent workers involved)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

netwhizkid wrote:
    if Connolly and larkin were alive today they would shoot the current government as quick as they shot the tans.

Connolly and Larkin never fought in the war of independance. Connolly was executed in 1916.
    netwhizkid wrote:
    It is high time that they were replaced with another broad ranging coalition, It happened sometime back in the 1930's i believe.

Wrong again. The coalition government was in power from 1948-1951

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

netwhizkid wrote:
    Would you feel this way if your own employer (presuming you have one) decided to give you your marching orders only to be replaced by €3.60 an hour bonded labour. If Irish Ferries are not prepared to act in a decent way like the people of the country they are serving they should get out as they have no right here then.
    netwhizzkid i think irish ferries are actually only irish in name, they are registered in either bahamas or bermuda. there's nothing the government can do as it's subject to their labour laws not ours

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Originally posted by netwhizkid,
    Originally Posted by netwhizkid
    if connolly and larkin were alive today they would shoot the current government as quick as they shot the tans.
    I understood larkin was the founder of the Irish trade union movement. I never heard anything about him shooting 'Tans, or Connolly for that matter.

You do have some fair points but that doesn't mean that the government is a disgrace. What happened to them would've happened to anyone in their position IMO. They have been in office for 8 and a half years with Michael Noonan and Enda Kenny as leaders of Opposition. They became complacent. They have never faced serious crises likes in the Haughey era.

Most importantly though, all of my immediate relatives of working age have a job. 4% unemployment was partially created by FF/PDs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 Bloodychancer

stevenmu wrote:

Well they could introduce a law similar to the one in Scotland that insists that any company operating a ship on a regular route between a Scottish port and any other EU port must observe either Scottish Labour Law or the law of the other EU country.

If they are non EU ships I don't see any reason why we have to let them into Irish ports at all let them go and ply their trade in the Bahamas

Don't the Irish Ferries employees get free food and board?

• Advertisement

Stark wrote:
    Don't the Irish Ferries employees get free food and board?

Oh Christ their loaded*, How anyone could actually condone what irish Ferries are doing is quite simply baffeling.
    *Sarcasm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 218 ✭✭Cronus333

wow. you mix communism and fascism. well done!!! I didn't even think that was possible but there you go!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I was having a good read of this thread up untill this point:
    Gurgle wrote:
    Hey, lets round them up into gas chambers, that hasn't been done in a while.

:rolleyes:

I really am sick and tired of this kind of BS. As soon as someone has an issue with immigration, it instantly comes down to Nazis. Doesn't matter what kind of point is being made, it's always the same insinuations of fascism. Debate the issue? Why bother when you can just play the Nazi Card! :v:

Cronus333 wrote:
    wow. you mix communism and fascism. well done!!! I didn't even think that was possible but there you go!!!
    You’ve not read enough on the subject obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Freelancer

netwhizkid wrote:
    Oh Christ their loaded*, How anyone could actually condone what irish Ferries are doing is quite simply baffeling.
    *Sarcasm

By way of supporting Netwizkid, how many 15yo, know who stimpy is? Thats jus about the only thing in his argument thats worth merit.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭dRNk SAnTA

My 2 cents:
    according to irish ferries, their competitors have driven down their labour costs by hiring these foreign workers. If this situation continues then inevitably if changes aren't made the company will be in trouble, the irish workers will end up losing their jobs anyway and probably end up with a **** redundancy package.

someone suggested bringing in a law they have in scotland which insists on minimum wage standards. this could work, i dont know. but it would keep the cost importing/exporting goods artificially high in ireland. as a hugely trade dependent economy thats not a hot idea as it would further damage our cost competitiveness.

also, I don't accept your criticism of mary harney. the health service was a shambles well before she bravely took on the challenge of fixing it. She hasn't been in the post long and expecting immediate results is crazy. i'm not defending the government, i just don't think its right to criticise her in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Gurgle

I really am sick and tired of this kind of BS. As soon as someone has an issue with immigration, it instantly comes down to Nazis. Doesn't matter what kind of point is being made, it's always the same insinuations of fascism. Debate the issue? Why bother when you can just play the Nazi Card! :v:

Please give a rational, economic, plausible and non-xenophobic explanation for this comment from netwhizkid:
    netwhizkid wrote:
    we will be faced the prospect of Emigrating out while our country is taken over by Slavonic eastern Europeans.

Gurgle wrote:
    Please give a rational, economic, plausible and non-xenophobic explanation for this comment from netwhizkid:

Basically my comment is that Irish people may be forced to Emigrate from Ireland to say somewhere like America if the continuing amounts of Eastern Europeans are allowed to come here, They will work for peanuts, while Irish people would only laugh at such wages. As these people become more prevalent here, Wages will drop and we may have no option only to Emigrate to find high-paying easy jobs. By referring to Slavonic i meant as in the general Eastern European types because for i say Polish (they are the biggest minority of the eastern Europeans here) Basically if they will work some similar wages to ourselves and become unionised and throw off the shackles of letting themselves be exploited then grand, but having them undercutting our jobs is good for no-one.

netwhizkid wrote:
    we may have no option only to Emigrate to find high-paying easy jobs.
    Priceless. You can't make up naivety like that. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Ireland has a minimum working wage. Pretty much every unskilled job in Ireland is minimum wage. For higher paying jobs, competition for those jobs is usually based on skill and merit, not on who can undercut whom.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement