Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C++ mini question

Options
  • 25-11-2005 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭

Hello I need a bit of help with a programme I basically have to assign a value for tax, which I have done here
    tax = (.2*200) + (.4*hightax_pay) - tax_credits;

which is working perfect except I need another bit which says it can never be negative, as in in the instance where tax credits exceed tax,
    so what should I enter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Being totally honest, I'm not giving this too much thought but the first thing that comes to mind:

Store the (.2*200) + (.4*hightax_pay) calculation as a variable {a}; and do a comparison to tax_credits {b} before you do the total tax calculation.
    ie.
    pseudo-code:
    if(a < b) 
    { 
      // i.e. {b} = tax credits, and exceeds {a} - exit gracefully
      // exception handling
    }
    else 
    {
      // otherwise, the calculation applies as normal..
      a - b;
    }

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

Yes thanks my mind just drew a blank thats perfect, also one final question I have to output four variables at the end of the program on the one line with spaces, how do I do that, eg.
    cout << employee_no << gross_pay << net_pay << tax;

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭silverside

cout << "your wages are " << wages << " and you pay tax of " << tax << endl;

should work

No I can't have any text, just the figures that's the problem, its an assignment for college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Sandals wrote:
    No I can't have any text, just the figures that's the problem, its an assignment for college.
    Then delete the text...

cout << " " << wages << " " << tax << endl;

• Advertisement

Then delete the text...

cout << " " << wages << " " << tax << endl;

Your The man.

Advertisement