Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fish Keepers ?

Options
  • 25-11-2005 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi ; here is a question for all fish keepers..

any of you built your own tank ? if so , how did it end up costing you ? i have no idea of the cost of Glass in Ireland .. but seeing the price of tanks around Dublin ; i m thinking about it ..

Currently have a 200L and i d like to upgrade to something bigger.. but the prices i m seeing in the shops are scaring me away :eek:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

Check out the buy&sell, can get some real bargain set-ups in there sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭ChrisM

It actually works out more expensive to build your own.It is suprising the amount of research actually goes into calculating the type of glass needed.The bottom piece needs to be thicker than the rest.The edges need to be bevelled and the glass can have no imperfections.Do you get normal or reinforced glass which is 5 times more durable but doesnt crack,just fails 100%.
    5 pieces are needed,2 front and back,2 sides and bottom.So thats 3 different sets of specs.Then a base is needed to hold the tank together aswel as silicone,which is cheap.
    I would recommend just buying a commercial tank and not bothering with a stand!!

Advertisement