Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool scarf at Old Trafford

• 25-11-2005 11:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭

I've heard reports that a Pool fan has put an LFC scarf among all the United shirts and scarves at OT, and a Spurs fan has done the same. As a United fan I'd like to say fair play for showing due respect. It's good to see one of the games true legends being appreciated by football fans everywhere.

Today is not a day for club rivalry.

Tomorrow though is another matter :rolleyes:

Anyway fair play.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Green_Martian

I was watching Skysports News this evening and i seen a Man City flag on the ground outside OT.

I would have to agree with you and say leave club rivialary aside for one day to morn a True Legend, and tomorrow is another day.

Lets hope the lads beat West Ham on Sunday for him

RIP George

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I really do hope all the Man City fans observer the minuets silence tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 header

to all the oppossing fansoff manunited who done this thanks guys:o :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭evilhomer

Dub13 wrote:
    I really do hope all the Man City fans observer the minuets silence tomorrow
    They will no doubt. As much as he was their "enemy" they still had to respect and admire him as a player, anyone who doesn't is a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Interesting to note that Celtic will be taking a different approach to clap through the minutes silence.
    Many believe there was some concern as to how a minutes silence would be observed for a Belfast protestant in Celtic Park... although this reason has not been officially mentioned.
    Looks like there's always going to be a minority that will have other feelings and will not wish to show respect. :(
    However, I do think a clap/cheer is a great idea... it's a way to show appreciation and thanks for his talent brought to the game from the fans / players / officials in a ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

George never mentioned politics in all his years. So why should Celtic boo him?
    Its not like he played for Rangers etc.

And I agree, the way the Italians applaud at a minutes silence is by far the best tribute to anyone, a minutes silence is very morbid. But they can be intensly powerful; I remember when Sir Matt Busby died, the minutes silence for him was unreal.

George wasn't exactly the silent type. ;)

DMC wrote:
    George never mentioned politics in all his years. So why should Celtic boo him?
    Its not like he played for Rangers etc.
    I never said they all will.... just said there'll always be a minority, and there's more reason for that ignorant "minority" to make themselves heard there due to his background.
    It only takes a handful of bigoted idiots to ruin something like this, and I guess they decided not to risk it.

Agreed, there's always one. Lets hope the people around them at any match today and tomorrow tell them what to do.

I mentioned this on the other thread, but didnt seem to get feedback: perhaps this thread is more fitting as it's more about tributes etc..
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/irish/4374631.stm
    It really was one of his biggest wishes.
    As talks for an Eng Vs Irl friendly are already underway (March next yr looking likely), perhaps a slight change in plan could make a one-off happen.
    Say Roy Keane captaining an all-Ireland squad out against England in Old Trafford as a mark of respect for Besty.
    Best wrote:
    "I just believe in trying something. If it doesn't work, at least you've tried. I just hope it happens in my lifetime."

Of course you'll get the statue etc... but this could be one heck of a tribute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

whiskeyman wrote:
    Interesting to note that Celtic will be taking a different approach to clap through the minutes silence.
    Many believe there was some concern as to how a minutes silence would be observed for a Belfast protestant in Celtic Park... although this reason has not been officially mentioned.
    Looks like there's always going to be a minority that will have other feelings and will not wish to show respect. :(
    Best is one of the few people that would good reception on the Falls or Shankill. There are plenty of Celtic sites, some secterian, some not. There's one that is completely proud of being secterian and not one person mentioned Best's religion. The may not like the fact that he ruined his second chance but its no different with any other set of fans.

I don't think the minute's applause has anything to do with a risk of being booed by a minority. Jock Stein got a minute's applause earlier this season. It seems to be a new thing at Celtic Park.

BTW - Anyone caught booing would be banned from CP for life. If you're caught saying 1 bigotted word at any match you're banned for life.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Best is one of the few people that would good reception on the Falls or Shankill. There are plenty of Celtic sites, some secterian, some not. There's one that is completely proud of being secterian and not one person mentioned Best's religion. The may not like the fact that he ruined his second chance but its no different with any other set of fans.

I don't think the minute's applause has anything to do with a risk of being booed by a minority. Jock Stein got a minute's applause earlier this season. It seems to be a new thing at Celtic Park.

BTW - Anyone caught booing would be banned from CP for life. If you're caught saying 1 bigotted word at any match you're banned for life.
    yeah, I knew CP were very strict, and hoped that this was just a side rumour.
    However, it's a brilliant idea and hopefully it can spread.
    No doubt that the minutes applause will get more coverage on tonights news coverage than the silence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Best was always an advocate of an All-Ireland football team. Interesting to see that Wolves and Southampton clapped through the minutes silence - it's a more fitting tribute for someone like Best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I heard the Man City fans booed. I hope its not true though. It'd be a very bad showing from them.

BBC say that the minutes silence was cut short at Man City.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

DMC wrote:
    BBC say that the minutes silence was cut short at Man City.:mad:

Was listening to TodayFM and it went on for about 20 secs.....sounded like the whole stadium was involved including the Liverpool fans....some stupid excuse was made that they where showing a video but everyone knew and Stapleton wasnt impressed at all!!

I was watching the match on Setanta, and it seemed like some Liverpool fans were chanting during the silence plus a few Mn City fans.............

Although when the ref blew up early for the silence the City fans were booing at the Liverpool fans

Lou Macri was no ompressed at all

Was also looking at Skysports and they went around the grounds and everywhere else there was pure silence

Everywhere else was impeccable.

Gkelly2002 wrote:
    I was watching the match on Setanta, and it seemed like some Liverpool fans were chanting during the silence plus a few Mn City fans.............

Although when the ref blew up early for the silence the City fans were booing at the Liverpool fans

Cant really tell which fans, and it doent really matter.... I'd say it just took a few to shout, then a few shouted back to tell them shut up.
    Everyone would have booed once the whislte went to show their disgust at those who failed to show respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

People telling them to shut up just makes it worse. There was a minute's silence in Celtic Park for the Madrid bombings and a few Barca fans started singing. The Celtic fans booed them and it seemed they were booing the silence. Just give them a silent thump. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It was impossible to tell who was at fault from watching in on TV but the commentator suggested that the ref would be ready to blow early if there wasnt silence.

• Advertisement

eirebhoy wrote:
    Just give them a silent thump. :)

Not that easy with segregation, but a pound coin is also effective*

*I'm not advocating violence.....

Just reading a United forum and it seems the minutes silence was also stopped early at elland road. Not surprised really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Dr Bolouswki

My mate was at the City - Liverpool game. It was the liverpool fans heckling - followed by noise from city fans telling them to shut up. When the whistle blew sadly early, the boo's about the behaviour rang out through the whole stadium.

I think the applause idea is much better, as it doesnt allow the idiots there little moment of dissent.

those liverpool fans are scu?

header wrote:
    those liverpool fans are scu?
    They're not Liverpool fans.
    Fans of any club would show respect.
    They're just mindless idiots.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bucks73 wrote:
    Just reading a United forum and it seems the minutes silence was also stopped early at elland road. Not surprised really.

It was actually at The Den, Leeds were away to Milwall todauy.

Kingp35 mentioned that on the Leeds thread, and I have to say I'm appalled at the behaviour of some of our "fans". I, like every decent Leeds fan, despise anything to do with the red team from Manchester. But Best was more than just a Man U player, he was a true legend, both on and off the pitch, and deserved proper respect.

I think the idea of a minute's applause is a great idea. It drowns out the idiots who boo through a minute silence, and also it seems more fitting that a great player should be applauded rather than a stadium falling quiet in his memory.

zaph wrote:
    I think the idea of a minute's applause is a great idea. It drowns out the idiots who boo through a minute silence, and also it seems more fitting that a great player should be applauded rather than a stadium falling quiet in his memory.
    yup - I was disappointed the crowd didn't start applauding the second the idiots started to shout at the Man City Vs Liverpool game.
    To have the crowd cheer and clap as a mark of appreciation is a wonderful thing... I hope it's done tomorrow at the WHam Vs Utd game.

zaph wrote:
    It was actually at The Den, Leeds were away to Milwall todauy.

Kingp35 mentioned that on the Leeds thread, and I have to say I'm appalled at the behaviour of some of our "fans". I, like every decent Leeds fan, despise anything to do with the red team from Manchester. But Best was more than just a Man U player, he was a true legend, both on and off the pitch, and deserved proper respect.

Didnt check where game was on but it is a pity a few idiots have to act like that. Agree that applause is the best way to drown these people out.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As Ray Houghton said on the liverpool fans who have been through so much should have more respect but they have gone and shown the world what a bunch of brainless idots they are, supposidly the "real" fans who travel away with the team.

Leeds and Man City you would expect nothing else, Liverpool should know better

• Advertisement

thanks zaph proves not all leeds fan are scu?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

The way they done it at portsmouth blew me away, absolutely awesome.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

header wrote:
    thanks zaph proves not all leeds fan are scu?

Hey, I've even heard that there are one or two Man U fans that aren't either :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

The reason a minutes silence is special is because it requires everyone to act in one way, showing solidarity.

Sure these idiots were screaming, but theres not a person in the country who doesn't scoff at the thought of them.
    If Man City can keep quiet during a minute's silence to a United legend, there is no reason why other fans can't, but it says leagues about the fans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭ianomccabe

i was at the liverpool man city game.
    There was some people from the liverpool end who shouted, group of kids from what i could see. There was also noise coming from other sides of the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Leeds, well what did we expect? We observed the minutes silence for John Charles but they showed they had no class. Even Carlton Palmer had a go at them!

Everton, once again great tribute, same as for Sir Matt Busby. Thanks lads

City:Bitterness showed through, but then again what can we expect from a club who has elements of supporters who still sing the Munich song, not realising that Frank Swift also died on that plane.

Pool: Hmmm I think there will be a lot of excuses not all are bad but there were enough yesterday. Look to Everton to see how to observe a minutes silence.

Oh well ceasefire over. As you were lads :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Well summarised Lostin, have to say that even with the amount of crap that has gone on between United and Arsenal that the fans were a credit to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

disgraceful for anyone to not pay respect to someone who has just died no matter who he is and who he has played for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

ui watched the everton newcastle match today and i thought it was just amazing. id say thats the way george would have wanted it instead of a minutes silence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

ianomccabe wrote:
    i was at the liverpool man city game.
    There was some people from the liverpool end who shouted, group of kids from what i could see. There was also noise coming from other sides of the ground

Kids from Liverpool voices must break very early! have seen a few times and mostly seems to be from Liverpool supporters and it aint kids!!! DISGUSTING!!!!

I thought the reception at Upton park yesterday was great.....well done to the Hammer's Fans much appreciated.

I think it was better to have a minutes appaluse than a minute of silence, as we want to remember George as the Genius he was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

yop wrote:
    Well summarised Lostin, have to say that even with the amount of crap that has gone on between United and Arsenal that the fans were a credit to them.

Yeah Yop you're right, I forgot to mention Arsenal. Fair play to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭redspider

As a Liverpool fan, the mess of the tribute minute to George on Saturday was not representative of Liverpool fans, nor Man C fans I'm sure. Ray Houghton and other media were reporting that it was booing etc and everyone thought that it was really bad for Liverpool fans to break the silence and show such disrespect, etc.

However, I'm hearing mixed reports, and there is no animosity against George Best from Liverpool fans. Some people are now saying that the 1 min applause appreciation, as had happened at other grounds, was the cause, as there was confusion as to if applause or the silence would be used. Fans etc were asking, why arent we clapping. Others are saying it was the many fans who werent in their seats that caused the noise and were unaware of the minutes silence taking place. Some said that some booing started to boo those that were making the noise, etc, which just adds to it, as booers then start booing booers, etc, etc and it snowballs. It was a shambles of organisation rather than anything sinister, and the ref blew up after 20-something secs, with most people left scratching their heads saying "that wasnt a minute, was it?".

The minutes applause would have worked much better in hindsight, but as others have pointed out, when there is a lot of grief, silence happens naturally. For many of the fans at the matches over the weekend, they did not have a lot of grief. In a way, they probably shouldnt have either, as in many respects, George's passing, even if early in his life, was not entirely unexpected.

But a person has died, and a "servant" of the game. I think in cases where a silence doesnt work at the first attempt, the stadium organised should try again. An announcer would have been able to arrange the crowd for a 2nd attempt and "shushing" wuld have worked. Maybe 30-secs to 1-min silence followed by 30-secs applause is the way to go for the future to show grief and celebration, rather than an either or. But managing large crowds at times like these may take more than one attampt for pin-dropping, flag fluttering, self-examination silence.

redspider

Advertisement