Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Broadband in Drumcondra

• 26-11-2005 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭

Anyone have any comments on this? They are offering BB at €19 per month. Will it work here and what are the downsides?

Mille mercis

h

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭Auvers

Try http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=259 and search you willl find plenty of threads on this subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Heinrich

Not really helpful reply. I would imagine that there are people in Drumcondra who have or had this service and could give their views on the service.

I would have preferred a discussion rather than an invitation to trawl through threads which do not relate to my actual question.

Thank you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭snappieT

In general, the IBB product seems to be relatively well regarded in Dublin, and they are sure to refund you if it doesn't work out.
    Not based on personal experience, btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 rosiechecking

Heinrich wrote:
    Anyone have any comments on this? They are offering BB at €19 per month. Will it work here and what are the downsides?

Mille mercis

h
    My sister is with IBB in Glasnevin/Drumcondra area. No problems whatsoever with the product - except for the fact that they put the antenna on her neighbours roof and it took weeks and weeks of calls and numerous days off work waiting for them to come and move it.

Do you know how much she is paying ?. They have a deal for €19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 rosiechecking

She's been with them for a while now, but she's paying approx €36 a month. Sorry I can't comment on the €19 deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

snappieT wrote:
    In general, the IBB product seems to be relatively well regarded in Dublin, and they are sure to refund you if it doesn't work out.
    Not based on personal experience, btw.

Christ I havnt laughed that hard in a while.

Not going to get into it so i will say this. If it works then it works. If at any stage you have any problems prepare to rip your own hair out in frustration.

My 2 cents.

Btw, I am a very unhappy broadband customer

From what I can gather the IBB/Ripwave problems seem to be area specific! Some posters say it is crap whilst others appear to be satisfied. Hence the reason for the original post.

If the dissatisfied posters would indicate their location it may help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Heinrich wrote:
    Not really helpful reply. I would imagine that there are people in Drumcondra who have or had this service and could give their views on the service.

I would have preferred a discussion rather than an invitation to trawl through threads which do not relate to my actual question.

Actually, one of the (obvious) things that was pointed out is that your thread is in the wrong forum.

No need to be so cranky about it tbh.

Moving this to broadband.

Khannie wrote:
    Actually, one of the (obvious) things that was pointed out is that your thread is in the wrong forum.

No need to be so cranky about it tbh.

Moving this to broadband.

I do apologise for misposting my request. I do not see how I was cranky, I merely said that the poster was unhelpful. I was/am looking for specific feedback for a specific area and surely there are Drumcondra members who migh be prepared to offer his/her opinion.

Have a nice day.:)

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

Heinrich wrote:
    From what I can gather the IBB/Ripwave problems seem to be area specific! Some posters say it is crap whilst others appear to be satisfied. Hence the reason for the original post.

If the dissatisfied posters would indicate their location it may help.

I'm open to correction on this but I know quite a number of people on the same mast who have a totally useless connection and others who have a perfect connection. Yes, I did say on the same mast.

So I'd be weary of thinking it's mast specific. IBB is almost the only option for somewhere I'm trying to arrange broadband but I will not let them order IBB until every other company has said no, it's as simple as that. I'm trying to arrange it in Drumcondra by the way. I've read far too much on IBB either way to risk giving it to people who wouldn't have the technical know-how to deal with "when IBB goes wrong, again" and I don't need to add a hassle to my life either.

Padraic,
    I am very interested in your comments. I rang this bunch yeswterday and some chap with a Dutch accent told me that there was no "expert" available so he took my number and said he would get someone to call me. Nada for the moment...

I use Eircom since last April and have had no problems yet. My friend is waffling about getting BB and wants a good deal. Would you have any recommendations for a cheapie. He uses snail driven dial up and cribs about line dropping.

regards

h

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 2,094 ✭✭✭halenger

At the moment we've decided to try Smart. We'd probably have gone with BT but there are some issues with Eircom in the past which led us to explore all the wireless options - suffice it to say IBB were the only one and I put them firmly at the bottom of the list.

If Smart can't sort the phone line out with Eircom etc then we'll probably have to try IBB. They could be fine for all I know but it seems like they're a gamble more than anything. These people want a phone line available to them - the ability to make calls. If IBB is not cooperating then they wont be able to do that and wont be able to use the internet either. At 35 per month for phone/line rental/broadband Smart seem perfect, once we can get them and once they Whitehall exchange actually does go live in 2 days. That's our other problem, waiting on the exchange. They seem to be rolling out decently enough lately but I'll wait for confirmation before I'll be totally happy with the situation.

Smart seem like the best value, if you can get them. (in terms of DSL now) I'd go with BT after that - have them at home and can't really complain to be honest. If they're lucky enough to be able to get NTL then move them to the top of the list but they're not available in a lot of places yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Heinrich wrote:
    Padraic,
    I am very interested in your comments. I rang this bunch yeswterday and some chap with a Dutch accent told me that there was no "expert" available so he took my number and said he would get someone to call me. Nada for the moment...

I use Eircom since last April and have had no problems yet. My friend is waffling about getting BB and wants a good deal. Would you have any recommendations for a cheapie. He uses snail driven dial up and cribs about line dropping.

regards

h

If ya have eircom and its stable why would you play IBB russian roulette, Its so hit and miss I wouldent risk it to save a few quid. Ive heard no problems with that hi site I have even used it onece if only for a day or so but rember IBB is a gamble and even more so with the rip wave.

Advertisement