Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

how to do it?

Options
  • 26-11-2005 2:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭

How does one do that "burnout" manouvre (not just a wheel-spin). where on a RWD or 4WD car , the car stays stationary but only the back wheels spin and start to smoke.

Ive seen manual AND automatic cars do this.

And before mods jump down my throat , im not planning on doin this or condoning it.

Just curious more than anything.

EDIT:
    heres what i mean: http://videos.streetfire.net/Player.aspx?fileid=6D4D49EB-A5DC-40E3-B20A-F6CC7CD0572A&kw=33&p=0

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

In my youth, the way lads did this was they installed a separate handbrake for the front wheels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭PlayaFlow

yeah , whatever trevor. ..tryin to be funny?

anyway , my theory goes you just floor it and hold the foot brake pressed as i think there maybe more brake bias towards the front locking them up.

or on cars with discs front and drums rear , it will be obvious that the front brakes will be stronger locking the wheels in place while the rear drums are weaker allowing the whels to spin.

Thats just my logical reasoning behind it .
    Am just curious cos my dad had a similar car , but i dont wanna put my theory to practice

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

For rear wheel drive you need a "line loc" or "roll control"- a solenoid that stops brake fluid returning
    from the front calipers, operated by a switch fitted to the steering wheel or gear shift.

EDIT: Don't try it on your Dad's car, you'll probably just destroy his clutch:p

pffff, ..57 views on the thread, and only 1 reply .
    .....and you call youself car people?!.

heres one you might be used to , oooh my punto is broke-ed , help me wawawa

:-)

j/k

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

JustinOval wrote:
    For rear wheel drive you need a "line loc" or "roll control"- a solenoid that stops brake fluid returning
    from the front calipers, operated by a switch fitted to the steering wheel or gear shift.

EDIT: Don't try it on your Dad's car, you'll probably just destroy his clutch:p

My dads is a C270cdi Automatic.
    I wont try it , but my mate has a beemer coupe , so i was gonna persuade him to try it first before i was gonna risk it.
    So anyway , what youre saying is you cant do it on a car uless it has the 'lin-loc'?

I can't see it doing the car any good, wise move to persuade somebody else to try it on theirs. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

As you guessed yourself,in a Rwd,you start the wheelspin off but as your foots coming off the clutch you put it onto the brake whilst teasing the accelerator so to speak to keep the wheels spinning.

hur_174500.jpg

Around $100 on ebay.com

JustinOval wrote:
    hur_174500.jpg

Around $100 on ebay.com

Don't bother. He's already said he doesn't like that answer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Wasn't there something about putting a steel bin lid under one of the back wheels?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭IDMUD

In an auto: Keep the brake pushed just far enough to stop you rolling forward and mash the throttle, firm up on the brake to keep you stationary, ease off on the throttle. Do this in 1st gear or 2nd, not in drive.

Manual: Rev it up and dump the clutch while moving your foot to the brake to stop you rolling forward.

Line locks are not necessary unless you have a puny engine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

PlayaFlow wrote:
    How does one do that "burnout" manouvre (not just a wheel-spin). where on a RWD or 4WD car , the car stays stationary but only the back wheels spin and start to smoke.

Ive seen manual AND automatic cars do this.

......]

Here's how I did it accidentally - at night.
    I borrowed the BiL's Ford Explorer - RWD. He lives on a hill, so the drive from his house to the road is about 45 Deg. at one part. About 1/2 way down the hill I remembered I had left the garage door open.. so I had to go dack, no place to turn, put it in Rev and tried to accelerate up the ever so slightly wet driveway......It inched it's way back up and it was only when the smoke came by the front of the vehicle I knew I was not only making little progress, but a lot of heat.
    He did not appreciate either the tyre or road wear one little bit.

So If you are in Cork and want to try out, find a steep hill, should not be difficult, slightly wet or damp, equally easy, Put the driven wheels uphill, let it roll a few feet downhill....rev up and drop the clutch, rev some more.

Alternatively, on teh flat, chock the non-driven wheels, pull/drive against the chocks, wet/lubricate a patch under the driven wheels to get them going...Rev and drop the clutch, put brick on accelerator, go for tea.

Light RWD vehicles, like Mustangs or Trucks are best for this. It also helps if you got the right tyres, as used for "sliding and gliding"

AMurphy wrote:
    He lives on a hill, so the drive from his house to the road is about 45 Deg. at one part.

Does he live on Mt. Everest?

IDMUD wrote:
    Line locks are not necessary unless you have a puny engine...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

testicle wrote:
    Wasn't there something about putting a steel bin lid under one of the back wheels?

Haha.Thats if you want to do doughnuts or "drift" a Fwd car!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Ernie Ball wrote:
    Does he live on Mt. Everest?
    Don't think so, but I'll ask.

cool thanks guys, good bit of info here and certainly cleared up any questions i had.

I definitley wont be trying it anyway , ..doesnt sound too healthy for the car really i honestly wouldnt have the hart to do it [ call it mechanical sympathy ]

....unless i got me a rental :D j/k

Advertisement