Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC

• 26-11-2005 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭

Never die, we'll never die!

so will we bounce back?

Will Shamrock Rovers Bounce Straight Back From The 1st Div 36 votes

Yes - Back Up, Back down, Back up, Back down etc.
    0%
    Yes - Back and better then ever
    8%
    -oRnein9-[Deleted User]DoctorEdgeWild 3 votes
    Yes - Mid Table obscurity awaits
    27%
    super_furryCorben DallasGuy:IncognitoAngelofFireThe InsiderHippoblu_sonicapplehunterTheBigLebowskimchurl 10 votes
    No - Welcome to the Dead Zone
    19%
    MrJoeSoapTöpherSteve_oeirebhoyRoarRossonerod22ontour 7 votes
    No - They'll be the nearly boys of the 1st div
    25%
    20 Times 20 Times_blank_Dub13KevIRLTrampaspaconnorsciaran76bullrunnerpp_me129 9 votes
    No - maybe in 5 years
    19%
    Thanx 4 The FishrovingroverradiospanBig EarsKingp35Juan PabloCorkMan 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Depends on so much. Who will manage us? What players will we keep? Who will replace those who go?

We'll have the biggest budget in the league and the biggest support so it will remain to be up to the playing staff to do their part. We have to try and keep the heart of the team - Molloy, Treacy, Murphy and Rutherford, along with the younger emerging tallent like Cathal O'Connor and Cathal Sweetman. If we get a manager that knows the league like Scully, I can't see why we won't be straight back up.

With any luck we'll be parading the Division One title in Tallaght stadium on the first day of the 2007 season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

imagine!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I would expect Rovers to come back up. they will still have a big budget by 1st division standards, and a promotion could give them a lot of momentum for their rebirth in Tallaght in 2007.

On last night, I thought Rovers played into Dublin City's hands by playing the long ball. Rovers played like a stereotypical 1st division team and came out second best.

Sweet revenge for Dublin City and their supporters though. They almost deserved it after the disgraceful way that Tony McGuire behaved last year with the Roddy collins mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

If Scully gets the job, I see Rovers back the season after next, if not, it'll be a few years.

It alkl depends really on the Roddy situation. Will he quit (doubt it), or will he be sacked, something which Rovers cannot really afford.

Dark day for the eL that Rovers are replaced by some mickey mouse outfit like Dublin City. Crap ground, no fans, no prmise, and Dermot Keeley. What an utterly loathable club.

i think we've found a loop-hole in the roddy afair to sack him and save our cash, i saw pat scully at both play-off games observing the situation? i'm from crumlin as is he, i know where he drinks and i might just drop in a have a chat with him lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

blu_sonic wrote:
    i think we've found a loop-hole in the roddy afair to sack him and save our cash, i saw pat scully at both play-off games observing the situation? i'm from crumlin as is he, i know where he drinks and i might just drop in a have a chat with him lol

Scully to Waterford from what I hear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

The Star wrote:
    Quick action by the garda prevented several hundred Shamrock Rovers fans from attacking Vikings fans

May they rot in Division 1, you will not be missed.

kdjac

they went on the pitch: true
    they went too the rovers players: true
    they raised their scrafs: true
    they sang green flag: true
    the marched towards the city fans singin: true
    they attemped to attack them: FALSE
    the garda charged them: true
    they backed off instantly: true
    The star renound for its classy reporting: FALSE

ps: i heard it was tony cousins job anyway not scully

A group of your fans wearing stone island or whatever theyre wearing these days ran over with hoods or caps and scarves covering their faces definitely looking for trouble. The guards chased them back so they got the kids to storm over with them but the guards again chased them away

Yes but when did certain posters ever let facts get in the way of attacking Rovers?

• Advertisement

Anyone have any proof of Rovers doing anything wrong?

Anyone actually eyewitness any trouble?

Anyone actually talking to anyone who said they saw such?

Unless you can answer at leastone of the above questions with "YES", stop speculating, making up and general old woman gossiping and get a life. :rolleyes:

Yes but when did certain posters ever let facts get in the way of attacking Rovers?

Are you referring to Bohsman facts, Blu sonics facts or The Stars facts ? :confused:

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    The Stars facts ? :confused:

Thats an oxymoron surely?

I'm referring to the same people who use any excuse to attack Rovers and their fans, and those who latch onto every piece of internet or tabloid hearsay in order to fuel their anti-Rovers agenda.

I'm referring to the same people who use any excuse to attack Rovers and their fans, and those who latch onto every piece of internet or tabloid hearsay in order to fuel their anti-Rovers agenda.

Some people deserve it.

kdjac

Some people deserve what?

If people are attacking Rovers fans over their violent tendencies to cause **** at any game they play, maybe they deserve this anti Rovers agenda that has befallen them.

Me i hate them since the 80s having to hear them whilst winning the 4 in a row, then after that Rovers casuals have brought shame to the club whilst those running the club and others supporting it have waived any reports of trouble or problems by blaming anyone but themselves. Leaving the situation to get worse and worse season after season. Im amazed noone has been killed or seriously hurt with their antics

So maybe they do deserve this Anti Rovers agenda thats about, one for being successful which is normal in football, but mainly because of the casuals who support them and the **** they bring to matches.

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭EFC-4eva

sad time for me...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

EFC-4eva wrote:
    sad time for me...

At least you'll be used to it come May when Everton are dropping into the Championship...

gimmick wrote:
    Anyone have any proof of Rovers doing anything wrong?

Anyone actually eyewitness any trouble?

Anyone actually talking to anyone who said they saw such?

Unless you can answer at leastone of the above questions with "YES", stop speculating, making up and general old woman gossiping and get a life. :rolleyes:

I was at the game in the section of the ground that Rovers ran for and except for the guards doing their job for a change there would have been serious trouble

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    If people are attacking Rovers fans over their violent tendencies to cause **** at any game they play, maybe they deserve this anti Rovers agenda that has befallen them.

Me i hate them since the 80s having to hear them whilst winning the 4 in a row, then after that Rovers casuals have brought shame to the club whilst those running the club and others supporting it have waived any reports of trouble or problems by blaming anyone but themselves. Leaving the situation to get worse and worse season after season. Im amazed noone has been killed or seriously hurt with their antics

So maybe they do deserve this Anti Rovers agenda thats about, one for being successful which is normal in football, but mainly because of the casuals who support them and the **** they bring to matches.

kdjac

but your agenda is to attack rovers at every given juncture, maybe the phrase "people in glass houses souldn't throw stones" pats aren't as spotless as you make out, infact if they had more support they'd be a force to worry about, "i 8 rovers" et all, lets put it right "bohsman" regardless of what you say i woun't belive you as a "Bohs Man" i doubt your neutrality on any issue involving SRFC hence my scepiticism, as is everyone a sceptic of mine being a hoop, (swings and round-a-bouts) i was there as i've stated the crowd marched towards the city end but never ran never were abusive the garda got twitchy (i don't bame them) and charged in,

by the way you might as well just say "i hate rovers becuse i'm jealous of the club they were, their history, amount of fans and potential", just a shame pats will NEVER reach the dizzy heights that we were and will be used to

ps i wear my scarf over my face am i a hooligan? it was freezing after all!

pps: roddy will be gone on monday so say the 400 club, you heard it here 1st, unless trevor molloy takes a wage cut he'll follow him out the door too

blu_sonic wrote:
    by the way you might as well just say "i hate rovers becuse i'm jealous of the club they were, their history, amount of fans and potential", just a shame pats will NEVER reach the dizzy heights that we were and will be used to
    o

The Dizzy heights of bottom of the 1st division? I am quite happy to have seen Pats win 4 and a half league titles in my time as a fan, altho a cup win would be nice.

And i dont attack Rovers at every opportunity i think i handled my glee on friday quite well :D

And yes shockingly enough when you win stuff people hate you, its mad this rivalry in football lark!!!!

Anyway still doesnt make Rovers fans being prevented from attacking Dc fans any way untrue. Just the usual Rovers fans with [insert blame on others here] excuses.

kdjac

i don't hear you going after the bohs/shels/pats casuals etc. just us hoops, the contempt that you hold us in for being sucessful is pityful. and i didn't blame anyone i said your lying you weren't there your taking a questionable newspapers account of a non event (a newspaper chasing fans and readership) and calling it gospel!

i've never seen any post about the bohs fighting and throwing "golfballs" at jason byrne, where's your condemnation there??

i hear it'll cost shels 50k every season that we aren't in the EL words of Pat Fenlon, so if thats shels i presume its similar in bohs and pats i guess richmond will be a lonely place next year no home fans no away fans, maybe with any luck it'll go the way of milltown,

blu_sonic wrote:

i hear it'll cost shels 50k every season that we aren't in the EL words of Pat Fenlon, so if thats shels i presume its similar in bohs and pats i guess richmond will be a lonely place next year no home fans no away fans, maybe with any luck it'll go the way of milltown,

Costing us 30k a year but DCfc in talks to use Richmond for home games till Whitehall is redone. The Irony is delicous.

I care not for Bohs fans throwing crap at Shels fans, when they play us is all i care about. And I have never had a problem with any away fans in Richmond other than Rovers fans. Bohs fans are always good fun on the Camac side, Cork fans also, The Shels fan is a nice bloke too.

kdjac

so why do you care about a rovers dub city game that has nothing to do with you?

KdjaC wrote:
    The Shels fan is a nice bloke too.

Which one? Me? Einsturzende? SeanSouth? Slash/ed? TheJollyRodger?

How many Pats fans on boards.ie these days?

i think he means the shels fan in general is a nice bloke

Hehe, no he doesn't.

blu_sonic wrote:
    so why do you care about a rovers dub city game that has nothing to do with you?

It relegated Rovers DUH!!!!!

This whole everyone hates you thing just doesnt sink in with you.
    Hehe, no he doesn't.

:p

kdjac

• Advertisement

i mean the supposed trouble? (if you don't care for the trouble boh's caused at shels)

blu_sonic wrote:
    i mean the supposed trouble? (if you don't care for the trouble boh's caused at shels)

Oh dearie me :(

Again i dislike Rovers fans as they cause **** when playing us, Bohs and Shels fans dont. So i dont care what they do or dont do. What i dislike is your casuals so as i pointed out ......
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by The Star
    Quick action by the garda prevented several hundred Shamrock Rovers fans from attacking Vikings fans

May they rot in Division 1, you will not be missed.

/this is where you say "noone likes us we dont care"

kdjac

and as i pointed out you form of referance is flawed its the star ffs!!

i find your childish attitude laughable, its people like you who try to find the negitivity in other EL clubs that keep the league on its arse, no wonder every laughs at the EL. I'm just pointing out your double standards your like that kid in school running to the teacher at every oppertunity "rovers did this, rovers did that" half is lies a quater is hearsay and the truth in it is greatly fabricated, point in case your very own st pats in richmond (car) park a few weeks ago, you pinted out the rovers trouble making element but failed to admit the "fans" from pats who ran across the pitch to start the trouble

blu_sonic wrote:
    and as i pointed out you form of referance is flawed its the star ffs!!

i find your childish attitude laughable, its people like you who try to find the negitivity in other EL clubs that keep the league on its arse, no wonder every laughs at the EL. I'm just pointing out your double standards your like that kid in school running to the teacher at every oppertunity "rovers did this, rovers did that" half is lies a quater is hearsay and the truth in it is greatly fabricated, point in case your very own st pats in richmond (car) park a few weeks ago, you pinted out the rovers trouble making element but failed to admit the "fans" from pats who ran across the pitch to start the trouble

Again you seem to find that Star lied when people who were there (that i know) and some posted here that Rovers fans tried to attack DCfcs fans. It must be every Rovers fan duty to shift the blame to others. Sadly that only works on people who dont really know what your like. Vs us 1 guy witha humourous top provoked about 50 people. yes i see your point totally.

kdjac

Now you're just talking rubbish. Following the match in question your supporters invaded the pitch, a group of which sauntered over to the Rovers supporters unhindered the stewards. One of them wearing an "I hate Rovers" shirt taunted and gestured at the Rovers support. That was the cause of a slight scuffle. But of course it's 'humourous' when your mob do it.

Compare the actions of Saint Patrick's 'supporters' to Cork's when they travelled to Dalymount for a crucial game for both sides. There was no segregation, no trouble and both sets of fans applauded each other after the final whistle. I wonder how evil Rovers managed that?

You've made your naked hatred of Shamrock Rover quiet apparant, so it's pretty obvious that there's going to be no rational debate on this.

humourous? thats 1 out look a fool looking to start trouble is another way of looking at it, i'm sure he was thinking, "hmm i'l just plod on over to those nice rovers fans and show them my jersy, i'm sure those nice chaps will be as amused as i am by it", and yeay it was just him on his own thats right sure in st pats land, there were plenty of your lads doing what we were ment to be doing last night at that game so save me your
    KdjaC wrote:
    1 guy witha humourous top provoked about 50 people.
    that totally inaccurate and as you were not at the srfc dcfc match you don't know what your harping on about i saw the game i was at the ground i stood up on the railings on the far side of the oitch to see what was going on there wasn't a "charge" save from the police, who as i said previously can't be blamed for it

• Advertisement

Funny eh?

Pats "casuals" or whatever they are called are kids no more than 18, dumb ass kids. But your casuals are grown men who only go to the games for one reason.

Funny you mention Cork, what happened when you went to Cork? Was it all playfulness and handshakes all round, oh no a a 5 page thread on foot.ie said otherwise but of course Cork fans started it , Rovers just defending themselves etc etc insert bull**** excuse etc etc

What i find funny if the repeated denials from rovers fans that they have a really big problem. Thankfully i dont have to see this problem for at least 2 years unless we get you in the league cup, so fare-de-well rovers sadly wont be missed in any way.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Funny eh?

Pats "casuals" or whatever they are called are kids no more than 18, dumb ass kids. But your casuals are grown men who only go to the games for one reason.

still trouble makers, if they can't hack it they shouldn't get involved, it down to you the more senior fans to stop them.

what that pic looks like a load of bohs fans to me, it says bohs on the flag

at least we wont be in richmond (car) park (bar a cup game) where we get attacked by the locals, hemned into a fire hazard and blamed for everything that goes wrong, i guess 2007 after parading the Div1 title around tallaght will be the next time we meet again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 219 ✭✭air_vent

blu_sonic wrote:
    still trouble makers, if they can't hack it they shouldn't get involved, it down to you the more senior fans to stop them.

what that pic looks like a load of bohs fans to me, it says bohs on the flag

at least we wont be in richmond (car) park (bar a cup game) where we get attacked by the locals, hemned into a fire hazard and blamed for everything that goes wrong, i guess 2007 after parading the Div1 title around tallaght will be the next time we meet again

Here here.

That pic was Bohs fans, look at the flag!

Rovers will be back with Tallaght and a new cup to our name,

No if only the Eircom league and Garda , clubs and fans could fix this aggro balls teh eircom league could get rolling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

That picture was Rovers casuals with a Bohs flag that was stolen from Dalymount, earlier this season. The BSC flag of course, nice to see Bohs going nuts to get it back tho, well, sickening actually! :o

From where I was on Friday, it looked like some of the Rovers fans were trying to get over to DCFC fans (also on the pitch) but the police seemed to keep everyone at bay. Why else do you charge onto a pitch after just being relegated? lol :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I don’t think Shamrock rovers will go straight back up , people are making the argument that they might have the same finances and a big budget . This doesn’t guarantee promotion or success, as Dundalk found out the hard way you can have the biggest squad highest wages this alone will not take you up.

Another question i have asked myself is how are they going to have a huge budget? They don’t have a home so they are paying RENT wherever they play, They wont be able to charge premiership admission fees now, they wont get the same level of support at the matches I know this from watching Dundalk in the premier and then 1st division, Another factor going against them is they wont get the same level of sponsorship!

When you take all these factors into consideration you see that the shamrock rovers will not be able to maintain a premiership team in the first division, and if they try then the long-term future of the club would be affected if they failed. What they must do is get back to their roots and get that wage bill down.

Its a shame about the Roddy Collins affair, you guys can’t afford to sack him or keep him. I hope he quits but he wont he will wait for the handout if he is sacked.

See you guys at Oriel next season I look forward to it, eh imagine the two most successful clubs in league of Ireland playing each other in the 1st division, How things change. In saying that can you imagine Dundalk and rovers first game of the season at Oriel Park. There would be 5000 at it easily. What other premiership team can say that?

• Advertisement

if it was the rovers fans was this pic reported and so getting them banned???

Everybody ahs a role to play!

air_vent wrote:
    if it was the rovers fans was this pic reported and so getting them banned???

Everybody ahs a role to play!
    It was promoted on the SRFC Ultras website, as a proud moment seemingly. It was Rovers fans, with a stolen bohs flag, in Longford. Lol.

Whether or not it was reported I don't know, but they probably wouldn't have been banned anyways. Maybe it was overlooked because they gave the flag back.

However, those are the people that give Rovers a bad name. They are not proper fans, but they and others like the portray a bad image of the club, yet nothing has been done at any of the instaces of troubel to weed them out.

I spend 10mins writing a great reply only for you guys to talk about flags :eek:

It's an important point! :)

i was hoping to get into a arguement over the issue :)

it is indeed. Its stuff like that holding back our league some what!!!

But the post was excelent and enjoyable.

better than the bickering thats happening in this thread for the past while. Kudos

Rovers have no major worries financially as they are debt free after coming out of examership. The 400 club now has over 500 members who, on average, pay €40 a month towards the running of the club - giving them roughly €20000 a month. The move to Morton Stadium will see the rent come down dramatically from the €4500 we're currently paying our bitterest rivals for the use of Dalymount.

Sponsorship will take a hit, but we can still expect at the very least 1000 fans paying on the gate, so it will just be a matter of cutting our cloth accordingly.

Collins will be shipped out in the very near future with his contract being torn up for gross misconduct - the reason for the current suspenions is that the board are doing everything by the book in order to deny him any legal comeback.

I really hope you are right; I for one don’t want to see you guys go the way Dundalk did. It is only now that we (Dundalk) are getting ourselves back on track lowering the wage budget, bringing through our own players. Working with a budget that is not beyond our means.

Listen don’t be too sure about your fans, The reason im saying this is from my experience of watching the downfall of Dundalk and ive seen all the bandwagoners coming to the CUP games when the big teams are playing and then disappear.

I hope you get the Collins situation sorted that is key at the moment and getting the right man in to do the job, Dundalk have done this and i have full faith in john gills appointment, he will develop and bring forward the club. In fairness Collins will hold out and wait to get the big pay out from the club.

For a better League of Ireland, what i hope to see is Dundalk win the league and Shamrock rovers to win the playoff. That way the two biggest clubs in the country will be back where they belong.

Im so looking forward to you guys coming to oriel park this season, its still amazing fact that there will be over 5000 at the game if the two teams get off to a good start. Id love to see shels , cork etc pull that crowd in IF They had to play first division football , its just a hypothetical remark ;)

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    That picture was Rovers casuals with a Bohs flag that was stolen from Dalymount, earlier this season. The BSC flag of course, nice to see Bohs going nuts to get it back tho, well, sickening actually! :o

From where I was on Friday, it looked like some of the Rovers fans were trying to get over to DCFC fans (also on the pitch) but the police seemed to keep everyone at bay. Why else do you charge onto a pitch after just being relegated? lol :)

they were consoling the Rovers players even thats clear to see on Setanta, they sang and WALKED towards the dcfc fans as much to say we'll be back, read the lyrics to the song:

Never Die We'll Never Die
    We'll Keep The Green Flag Flying High
    And shamrock Rovers Will never Die
    We'll Keep The Green Flag Flying High

its a song about pride, many fans were crying and in shock singing it, we were showing that we we lost on the night but that we will never be beaten, its our rep that makes people think that whatever we do means trouble.

point in case a rovers "fan" jumped on the pitch with about 15 mins to go when he came back to the stands it was to boo's ans howls, (you can hear the chants of who are ya on setanta) he was repremanded by the senior fans and promply martched to the nearest garda/stewart actions aplauded by the faithful (again heard on setanta with cheerio)- these arent the actions of lunitic hoodlums,

yes there is an element (as ther is in most irish clubs) that are there for the wrong reasons but i think that in general most of the EL posters here like to shade over there own mis-givings and highlight the antics of a few so called Hoops, it paints the whole league in a bad light.

ps, i don't recognise 1 of those guys in that pics and i know who the trouble makers are for rovers, (they've all been banned froim home games) non of them in the pic do i know, they are gypos not hoops

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Rovers will be fine imo. They have some of the most loyal fans in the country and also their finances are now well and truly under control so they can take care of others now such as getting rid of roddy

• Advertisement
Advertisement