Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shamrock Rovers FC

13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Yes - Mid Table obscurity awaits
    Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Good to see Roddy gone. Look at his last 3 teams; Carlisle, City; Rovers; who wiull take him on now? :) The sooner that man is away fromt he league the better, he is a plague upon it.

i agree but i can see roddy getting another job within the league adn wuite soon as well. But hopefully clubs will have learned from rover mistakes and wont appoint him

Yes - Back and better then ever
    This is great in a way.

Kildare County v. Shamrock Rovers.

Deff going to go to that match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

No - Welcome to the Dead Zone
    ronoc wrote:
    This is great in a way.

Kildare County v. Shamrock Rovers.

Deff going to go to that match.
    Hopefully more people do like you, might get more people to experience/enjoy their local 1st division clubs if they get out when Rovers are in town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

KdjaC wrote:
    Longford ALL Rovers fans are barred not by me but by Longford they made the assumption ALL your fans are scum, i only used that as a basis to show that is a rather large element within the Rovers fanbase to cause trouble. Longford have specifically said ALL fans. I quoted the Star as saying "Rovers fans" not ALL fans. If you going to try and pick holes in an argument at least do it right.

Your first sentence makes no sense. Yes they made the accusation but yet again you are wrong. That fixture went ahead with a large Rovers following present. No there is not a large element within the Rovers fanbase likely to cause trouble. I have repeatedly told you that it is a minority:rolleyes: Just what part of that word do you not understand? Pick holes in an argument? Coming from you? Oh dear. There are so many holes in your argument you could drive Roddy's merc through them.

That was sickening and i think Gimmick summed up what happened there, a one off incidnet involving kids (kids under the age of 15) Not Adults who release DVDs of their actions. (Sadly there is one way for me and any of the other EL fans to end this long running argument about Rovers "casual" fans it only involves posting 3 clips of that DVD but its showing illegal activities and therefore i cant do it on Boards.ie )

I think you'll find that it wasnt a one off incident but accept that it was in the minority. See how I havent said that ALL pats fans are troublemakers? Did part of that DVD show the Womens side play in Europe?:rolleyes: Why dont you give me that DVD you love so much so I can view it?

Sadly i would like to agree the new board will do something about it but you dont bite the hand that feeds you (and that hand has fed them for a long time), and the fact within the 400 club are 5 people i know to be "casuals" as one gave me that dvd and the others are just dumbasses, i find it hard to believe that they will ban themselves. This is an ongoing problem in the league and its getting worse, bad stadiums, security and crowd control are all factors but the intent of some to cause trouble is evident. I base what i see on my own exp and its fairly simple i rring my kids to games but i have never brought them to a Rovers game and sadly altho i would like them to for good part of playing Rovers the atmosphere etc:, Pats, the police and stewards cannot gaurantee anyones safety when Rovers have their "casuals" in the ground or outside.

The trustees have banned 10 individuals. That is doing something about it. How many times have I said that at this stage? "Ban themselves"? Shows your knowledge. Read this slowly: The club is run by trustees who themselves are fans. The trustees, who I can guarantee you are not troublemakers, issued those bans.

The "casuals" are the ones who have kept the club going there is no disputing that fact, and now with relegation will they still be the ones going week in week out?

Oh so ALL Rovers fans are casuals? Oh dear. Notice how you ignored my question about wearing colours.....

And yes poor Roddy is gone from you and a step closer to us, and the million dollar question (actually 60kish ) did you get rid of him without having to pay him off?

This last statement proves that either you are a wind up artist or genuinely do not even have a clue what is going on in your own club. Your manager has signed a new contract. Your chairman has said that there is no way Roddy will manage Pats.

In answer to your last question yes.

DaveH wrote:
    According to TV3, Roddy Collins will constest the termination of his contract, and said the matter is now with his solictors. The Rovers board director wouldnt go into it, and said the reason for the termination was a "jigsaw" of events. I hope they have something on him, because Roddy is fairly ruthless in the bussines world.

Actually I dont hope they have something on him! Why should he be sacked? Give me the reasons. Rovers went down, granted but they had 8 points deducted, otherwise would have finished 8th, and also they lost half their team. How was he supposed to keep them up??

After all the gloated the Rovers did between 60's and 80's, its good to see them in Divison 1.

Oh yes we have something on him. In fact lots of things. It had nothing to do with relegation. He can contest all he wants. He hasnt a leg to stand on and he knows it.

Thank you for your support! We'll be back better than ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

KdjaC on the whole every point of your arguments was inaccurate, it lacks knowlege and depth, i've been running through this argumet with you a long while now.

A: you've a rule for rovers and a rule for pats. when rovers do something we're ALL branded by you, all called trouble makers etc. when pats cause trouble its kids, a minority etc you will not accept that it is a minority in our camp. this bothers me quite a bit because its WRONG

B: you never accept anyones point of view if its not the view you WANT to believe

C: You hate rovers and are biased in each and every way towards us, you have stated you hate rovers

D: some of the arguments you make are false, everytime your questioned you revert to i knew roddy was going all due respect so did most of the EL posters here it was coming.

E: you quote the star and hearld which on numourous occasions have been proved to be inaccurate

now back to rovers:

Pat Scully has been apointed our new gaffer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

This last statement proves that either you are a wind up artist or genuinely do not even have a clue what is going on in your own club. Your manager has signed a new contract. Your chairman has said that there is no way Roddy will manage Pats.

So if Mileson takes over total control which he wants, do you think that contract means anything?

Its seems that Rovers fans will only ever say a "minority" of their fans are troublemakers whilst the other fans on here and on foot,ie dispute this repeatedly. This is the 3rd thread that went on over 4 pages on the subject and each Rovers fan took the "minority" "provoked" line of crap excuse.

Suppose this will be put to bed until the next time Rovers lubbly fans wreak havok somewhere but doubt it be mentioned anywhere, Div 1 isnt really news to anyone.

Blu sonic , 2 incidents were mentioned about pats a total of 7 for Rovers ....hey at least you can win at something :D

kdjac

but regardless you still say "kids" "minority" etc. but we're all branded by you. double standards!

we don't watch your team like the hawks/vultures you seem to be so although it 7-2 i'm sure we could figure out a few more for the "saints" see if we could tarnish the halo, but strangly i couldn't be bothered

its a well know fact that the hoops are watched more vigourously by irish media on the basis

A: we had the 1st trouble makers true, i accept that
    B: y'all love to hate us which equates more paper sales.
    C: all in all either condemn all agros the same (as i do) ornotl,st becasthy'e kisetc still makshem trouble makers! remember thats the future of your club, as you said all our (to use YOUR words) "scum" are old and thats our past which we are endevoring to ween out of the club FACT 10 barred more to do

i bet "i 8 rovers" is still in attendance but no doubt if the shoe was on the other foot it wouldn't have been a "funny slogen" it would have been the most horrible thing anyone could have done on you don't try to say otherwise

Well most who have been on the other side of this "minority" would disagree and will continue to disagree.

kdjac

as would the people hit with stones in richmond funny that isn't it?

so are we all hooligans?

• Advertisement

blu_sonic wrote:
    as would the people hit with stones in richmond funny that isn't it?

so are we all hooligans?

Person and Stone, singular.

kdjac

can you proove that just i read in the sun and i heard down the pub that there were loads of stones and a few bottles

As far as I am aware, from reading eye-view reports after the incident, there was one stone and only the one person hit.

KdjaC wrote:
    So if Mileson takes over total control which he wants, do you think that contract means anything?

Its seems that Rovers fans will only ever say a "minority" of their fans are troublemakers whilst the other fans on here and on foot,ie dispute this repeatedly. This is the 3rd thread that went on over 4 pages on the subject and each Rovers fan took the "minority" "provoked" line of crap excuse.

Suppose this will be put to bed until the next time Rovers lubbly fans wreak havok somewhere but doubt it be mentioned anywhere, Div 1 isnt really news to anyone.

Blu sonic , 2 incidents were mentioned about pats a total of 7 for Rovers ....hey at least you can win at something :D

kdjac

Thank you for ignoring my points an admission in itself that you are clueless.

So if other fans on other message boards says its so then its true??? Oh dear oh dear you cant be that stupid. Wait.........

Do you not understand what minority means? MINORITY? And I ask you again do you believe that every man, woman and child who supports Rovers is a hooligan? You know its not a crap excuse because simply it is not an excuse.

Son you would argue with a signpost and are the kind of person who probably never stops drooling on the keyboard. Get out more:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You can debate football and football issues all you want but theres no need to get personal at all. You aren't making yourself any friends with your style of argument (attacking post and poster rather than just the post).

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You can debate football and football issues all you want but theres no need to get personal at all. You aren't making yourself any friends with your style of argument (attacking post and poster rather than just the post).

I'm not here to make friends:rolleyes: Tend to meet real people for that.

He has consistently attacked Rovers fans. Whats the difference?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

The majority of rovers fans seem to be nice people and there is a MINORITY that cause trouble. I believe that rovers will always be branded witht he same stick as there always seems to bew some sort of trouble following them and their minority of fans throughout the season so therefore all the fans are branded the same. btw im not a rovers fan by any means:p

mchurl wrote:
    The majority of rovers fans seem to be nice people and there is a MINORITY that cause trouble. I believe that rovers will always be branded witht he same stick as there always seems to bew some sort of trouble following them and their minority of fans throughout the season so therefore all the fans are branded the same. btw im not a rovers fan by any means:p

Sensible post. But the media spouting lies like the herag last friday certainly doesnt help.

BTW can see you're not a Rovers fan. You're a southampton fan:rolleyes:

Topics like this make me recall a conversation I had with a Rovers fan not 2 months ago. It was on the day of the Rovers - Bray game, and I was chatting to him for the guts of an hour. Long time fan, 20+ years going to every home game at least. Quite shocked by alot of what he said, especially when he said he distances himself from the crowds there because although many people say its a minority, maybe its just because of the size of crowds Rovers get- it seems like more, but from the mouth of a Rovers fan "There's just a hell of alot of scum that aren't worth associating with". Genuinely nice bloke, as I know alot of Rovers fan are (having been to loads of Rovers games, especially early 90's I used to go see them in the RDS when I couldn't get to Shels). But surely there's no denying there is a problem there. People can cry "minority" all they want, but from several experiences on the receiving end I find that hard to believe. Either that, or they just have soooooo many fans that it is a minority, but whatever it is it's too much. Banning 10 people is nothing, figures nearer 100 need to be seen in order to really put across an image that something is being done. And it wouldn't be hard to find 100.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yes it would because put simply there aren't 100 troublemakers. I go to the games, I know what's what and 100 is a vastly, vastly overstated number. The bannings have helped, and prove that the board is taking the issue seriously. However, the self confessed 'Rovers haters' will always continue to peddle half-truths, slander and downright lies, while conviently ignoring his own clubs problems.

Topics like this make me recall a conversation I had with a Rovers fan not 2 months ago. It was on the day of the Rovers - Bray game, and I was chatting to him for the guts of an hour. Long time fan, 20+ years going to every home game at least. Quite shocked by alot of what he said, especially when he said he distances himself from the crowds there because although many people say its a minority, maybe its just because of the size of crowds Rovers get- it seems like more, but from the mouth of a Rovers fan "There's just a hell of alot of scum that aren't worth associating with". Genuinely nice bloke, as I know alot of Rovers fan are (having been to loads of Rovers games, especially early 90's I used to go see them in the RDS when I couldn't get to Shels). But surely there's no denying there is a problem there. People can cry "minority" all they want, but from several experiences on the receiving end I find that hard to believe. Either that, or they just have soooooo many fans that it is a minority, but whatever it is it's too much. Banning 10 people is nothing, figures nearer 100 need to be seen in order to really put across an image that something is being done. And it wouldn't be hard to find 100.

LIES, SLANDER, HE WAS A BOHS FAN IN DISGUISE!!!!!!!!!!!

Pointless argument really, we go to games we the **** happening yet when its spoken here or in RL its a "minority". People ask for facts yet people who actually witnessed the events are treated as liars and still the minority card is played. (ps Gimmick told me it was one bottle one person, i was in McDs when it happened)

Sadly i have seen Rovers for 20 odd years with crowds of 400 to 22,000 this has always been a problem and always will be new board or old board by my count your on 6 boards since the 4 in a row side. Its never goona change people used to hate you for being the best now its the **** your fans cause. You will alwyas be hated now sadly its going to be a long time before its football related.

kdjac

100? are you all mad, i go to nearly every rovers game, i live and breath rovers there are no mare than 20 out and out hooligans and maybe MAYBE 30 more "hangers on".

those hangers on have a mob mentality and without the "leaders" just don't do anything. i think its an image thing at this stage we ad a rep for trouble and so everyone is a shamrock rovers voyeur waiting hoping praying for us to cause trouble, your gravly mistaken kdjac in the vast majority of yo post in regard to rovers, your fans are too busy throwning bottles and stones at spectators to watch the football, or too busy trying to provoke other teams into a reaction, and they do WANT a reaction (unfortunatly the hooligans are happy to proide said reaction) too be considered supporters,

unfortunitly your saints by name not by nature, now YOUR team are the hooligans of the eircom league, may you all carry the burden with your heads dipped in shame

shels, your "cashie" fanbase is growing as was seen vrs rovers in dailymount (to my shock)

ucd/dub city may you accuire some fans and then maybe you could be debated in a topic of hooliganism

Bohs as bad as rovers have ever been, i'm surprised they weren't the hated club but obviously as kdjac said we were hated for winning and now you need to find something to hate us for seeing as ou all need to hate rovers, seeing as bohs don't have a pedigree of winning such as ourselve they obviously went under the radar - they've spit on stewarts and throw bottles at them wheres the shock wheres the out-rage? indeed

blu_sonic wrote:
    shels, your "cashie" fanbase is growing as was seen vrs rovers in dailymount (to my shock)

Did you see about 50 Rovers fans coming flying around to our exit and starting trying to attack the old lads and folks with their kids?! Security barricaded us in, and we were snowed in under a hail of bottles and stones - stuck between barriers and 10ft concrete walls!

To the outsider, to get a fair representation of Rovers fans, the best bet is to take the midway point between the words of Rovers fans themselves, and those who hate them. Those that hate them tend to exaggerate slightly, and those in love with them play it down.

blu_sonic wrote:
    100? are you all mad, i go to nearly every rovers game, i live and breath rovers there are no mare than 20 out and out hooligans and maybe MAYBE 30 more "hangers on".

those hangers on have a mob mentality and without the "leaders" just don't do anything. i think its an image thing at this stage we ad a rep for trouble and so everyone is a shamrock rovers voyeur waiting hoping praying for us to cause trouble, your gravly mistaken kdjac in the vast majority of yo post in regard to rovers, your fans are too busy throwning bottles and stones at spectators to watch the football, or too busy trying to provoke other teams into a reaction, and they do WANT a reaction (unfortunatly the hooligans are happy to proide said reaction) too be considered supporters,

unfortunitly your saints by name not by nature, now YOUR team are the hooligans of the eircom league, may you all carry the burden with your heads dipped in shame

ucd/dub city may you accuire some fans and then maybe you could be debated in a topic of hooliganism

Bohs as bad as rovers have ever been, i'm surprised they weren't the hated club but obviously as kdjac said we were hated for winning and now you need to find something to hate us for seeing as ou all need to hate rovers, seeing as bohs don't have a pedigree of winning such as ourselve they obviously went under the radar - they've spit on stewarts and throw bottles at them wheres the shock wheres the out-rage? indeed

Blu leave it. Pointed out ad nauseum the facts but rainman has his own agenda. Your IQ will decrease trying to have a conversation with him. Its raining now that's Rovers fans' fault:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

Yes, i think they will, but it will be a good while before they will be in contention for the title. Good luck all the same.

• Advertisement

Did you see about 50 Rovers fans coming flying around to our exit and starting trying to attack the old lads and folks with their kids?! Security barricaded us in, and we were snowed in under a hail of bottles and stones - stuck between barriers and 10ft concrete walls!

To the outsider, to get a fair representation of Rovers fans, the best bet is to take the midway point between the words of Rovers fans themselves, and those who hate them. Those that hate them tend to exaggerate slightly, and those in love with them play it down.

yet again the shrinking violet routine. i did see it i accept that there could have been up to 50 cashies labeled hoops, but the new shels cashies were getting into the mix, women and children? i can't say for sure but i boubt that, maybe someone caught in the middle but cashies usually like a fight, i imagine women and children give little fight. ps. this was the match that the rovers 400club trusties board banned some people from our club (or whatever ground were in) i believe!!

Scullys Warning:
    Kilkenny chief issues Scully warning

December 2, 2005

Kilkenny City chairman Jim Rhatigan has warned new Shamrock Rovers manager Pat Scully that he is entering the lions’ den after leaving the Cats to take up the vacant manager’s position at the Hoops.

Former Rovers, Shelbourne and Arsenal defender Scully was appointed to the Shams hotseat on Thursday after one season in charge of Kilkenny City.

But Rhatigan feels that Scully should be aware of the high expectations which will be placed on him in his new position.

He told the Irish Sun: “It is a different world when you move on from here. We’re basically a family club with a moderate support base, the same can’t be said for Shamrock Rovers where the expectations will be high.

“When Eamonn Gregg left us for the Bohemians job in 1990 he had just enjoyed a great season and he found the move to Dalymount a different story altogether.

“I’ve no doubt that Pat has what it takes to succeed in management but he should be aware that things won’t be the same at Rovers.”

he could be right!

blu_sonic wrote:
    yet again the shrinking violet routine. i did see it i accept that there could have been up to 50 cashies labeled hoops, but the new shels cashies were getting into the mix, women and children? i can't say for sure but i boubt that, maybe someone caught in the middle but cashies usually like a fight, i imagine women and children give little fight. ps. this was the match that the rovers 400club trusties board banned some people from our club (or whatever ground were in) i believe!!

It was right after the game, after we'd been held back. And the old lads and families were up the front waiting to get out, the gates opened and the "cashies" came flying around. The security slammed the gates shut and locked us in, while we were hailed under an assortment of items, noone was stuck outside AFAIK. Of course there were other fans there, but the people who would have been getting beaten were the people at the front - who were the ol' lads, and dads with kids etc.

jesus i didn't see that but i do believe you, as you'd expect i don't associate with the cashie element so i wouldn't have been involved in that, but i do belive that the board took action soon after this match. thats not football nor is it fans of football, they are only connected to srfc through a thin veil oflies and deciet, and i think as a football fan you can see through that and see it as a minority of the shamrock rovers fanbase, and a minority we are trying despairitly to ween out. inaction by the 400clubs predecessors are the cause of this. i as a shamrock rovers fan extend my deepest and most heart felt apologies to you and hope that it doesn't cause you to see them as the representitives of a proud club with a rich footballing tradition

I think most people realise that the people there aren't real Rovers fans, more scum looking for a fight - you could bet the people responsible wouldn't be at a Finn harps game etc. It's good to see that some action was taken over it, one of the main problems alot of people had with Rovers is that they've never been seen to take any action before, which is almost as bad as condoning/encouraging it. Credit due to the 400 club! At least there's been some changes in that regard, which can only help to redeem the name of the proudest, most famous club on the island. It's a real shame that some eejits feel the need to drag the name through the mud!

:)

• Advertisement

i'm very nervous about the trips to limerick and athlone, the cashies will be out in force and no-doubt the local trouble makers will want to make a name for themselves. as will the so called "dundalk cashies" a point that sarge already pointed out, but maybe us in the D1 for a season will invigorate an otherwise lifeless league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

What a wonderful insightful advertisment for the Eircom League this thread is. It would make you wonder why it is so poorly supported in this country.

the vast majority of irish games have no trouble, i'm sure milwall and leeds cashies love to have tea and biscuits pre and post games, the difference is we who go to the matches see the warts and all element of football, but the vast majority of prem supporters in eire are armchair supporters and hence can't comment on the hooiganism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

blu_sonic wrote:
    the vast majority of irish games have no trouble, i'm sure milwall and leeds cashies love to have tea and biscuits pre and post games, the difference is we who go to the matches see the warts and all element of football, but the vast majority of prem supporters in eire are armchair supporters and hence can't comment on the hooiganism
    Not to mention it's better policed over there, where all incidents are far removed from the grounds and happens down back alleys close to the stadiums, where it is all pre-arranged.

You think that if a load of Liverpool supporters made an impromptu raid around the the away end at Anfield and threw rocks at United supporters you wouldn't hear about it? And Liverpool wouldn't be adequately punished?

blu_sonic wrote:
    Exactly. I'm extremely sure a very high percentage of Premiership supporters over here don't go to (m)any games, and therefore don't see anything but the football and Andy Gray etc. Many of the teams will face this sort of nonsense on a regular basis. Luckily for the English game, the police over there seem to at least make an effort! :)

And thats what alot of this thread has been pointing out, that it is nonsense and unacceptable; whether in Tolka Park, Elland Road, or the Nou Camp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

No - They'll be the nearly boys of the 1st div
    blu_sonic wrote:
    i'm very nervous about the trips to limerick and athlone, the cashies will be out in force and no-doubt the local trouble makers will want to make a name for themselves. as will the so called "dundalk cashies" a point that sarge already pointed out, but maybe us in the D1 for a season will invigorate an otherwise lifeless league

Don't you ever say that dundalk supporters cause hassle at games , they have not done the only time i seen dundalk supporters fight in games is amoughest ourselves , we dont hassle away fans or cause hassle when we go away. Fans used to come into the shed not a bother for some slagging . What i said earlier rovers WILL NOT cause hassle in oriel cause then know better !

Also i have never got in hassle down in limerick and ive no doubt i have been down there as a away fan then anyone here. Get you "facts" right.

i never stated any of it as a fact, i said i was nervous about it. you told me that thedundalk cashie would be out for rovers you said that to me, i NEVER knew anything about dundalks fans. i never stated anything as fact

blu_sonic wrote:
    i never stated any of it as a fact, i said i was nervous about it. you told me that thedundalk cashie would be out for rovers you said that to me, i NEVER knew anything about dundalks fans. i never stated anything as fact

I said too you that , the supporters would take the rovers messing same as other teams , but anytime rovers have come to oriel in last 5 season there hasnt been trouble once and i dont expect it either both sets of fans HATE each other but yet respect each other !

i don't hate dundalk, as far as i know neither does any of my mates, the only team we "hate" is bohs same as man u and city or pool and the toffeemen

• Advertisement

The Muppet wrote:
    What a wonderful insightful advertisment for the Eircom League this thread is. It would make you wonder why it is so poorly supported in this country.

Whys that, because of the massive amounts of violence at eL games?

I've been to many many many eL games and have never so much as seen a fight, and that isn't a word of a lie. My dad had is car window smashed outside Dalymount once but it was parked a good distance away from the ground so I'm assuming it had nothing to do with football.

There is no violence problem, as far as I can see, with Shelbourne. Fans of other clubs feel free to argue their own cases but I've had no bad experiences myself. Come along to a big game in Tolka next season and you'll be converted!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Whys that, because of the massive amounts of violence at eL games?!

Because being pelted with bottle and stones would not be idea of a night out.
    MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I've been to many many many eL games and have never so much as seen a fight, and that isn't a word of a lie. My dad had is car window smashed outside Dalymount once but it was parked a good distance away from the ground so I'm assuming it had nothing to do with football.

There is no violence problem, as far as I can see, with Shelbourne. Fans of other clubs feel free to argue their own cases but I've had no bad experiences myself. Come along to a big game in Tolka next season and you'll be converted!

I have no doubt that they are ordinary decent fans attached to all clubs and the sort of behavior highlighted here is by a minority but when that minority numbers 50 or more in a crowd of a couple of thousand that is quite a significant percentage of those attending.

When/if Shels move to Swords they will be local to me then and I may well attend their matches and see for myself.

The Muppet wrote:
    Because being pelted with bottle and stones would not be idea of a night out.

I've never witnessed anything like this at Shels. That, of course, does not mean that it doesn't happen in the league, but it is honestly a lot rarer than this thread might have you believe.
    The Muppet wrote:
    When/if Shels move to Swords they will be local to me then and I may well attend their matches and see for myself.

Fair enough.

too true im a shamrock rovers supporter (who if you believe the hype are the devils of football) and never seen a fight, i've seen the possibility of one starting but not been in the thick of one, edge of one nor seen one honestly. for me its the most exciting form of football, local seeing people that you may know or know of on the pitch etc, seeing true passion 1st hand.

now i accept that uk football supporters are as pasionate about their clubs but seeing it all happen in the flesh week in week out is riviting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Its are rare event these days to see any violence at a game. Maybe a few people throwing shapes.

but antway to return to the footballing element of the culb, as has been posted in the el transferes page a few players released. the biggest shock of all is Barry murphy (young player and player of the year outright) has been asked (suposidly) TO TAKE A PAY CUT, THIS COULD FORCE HIM OUT OF THE CLUB, he's building up quite a rep and is being touted by many as the best young goalkeeper in Ireland!!, second only to Mick D in cork overall, longford (cluchie bohs) are in for him as is a few others, rumours are abound that scully is going to loot the kilkenny squad, it looks like it will be all new faces in santry next season

Advertisement