Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Re: How To Store A car Over Cold Winter Mths

Options
  • 26-11-2005 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭

Hey!
    I have a 12yr old petrol Golf 1.4 which due to some financial fupax it looks like i won't be able to insure it untill early next yr, what with xmass and new yr.
    So shes gona be lying up outside for some time and was hopeing to get some advice as to what steps i should take to make sure its going to be in pmo when i get around to getting it insured. As of late its been quiet cold and from what i hear and read its gona be a cold winter.
    Kbannon and IrishRover provided some really good sites www.carbibles.com/engineoil_bible.html and http://www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm which answered a lot of questions but also left me with some new ones, some practical advice needed pls.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Protection from the elements is going to be the key.

Do you have access to a garage/storage or will the car have to be left outside?Anyone ive known to store a car for winter months has put a coat of polish on the car but not buffed it,then covered the car with an all season cover and its done the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

ye i've pretty much done the external things! ye its gona be exposed to the elements so theres little else i can do from that point.
    Its fluids im worried about, should i fill the tank to avoid condensation! brakes, clutch, coolant, and above all engine oil, should i change the oil?
    its pretty black so could do with a change along with some engine flush and a filter i guess but should i put back in the 15w 40 im using at the moment or should i use a thicker or thiner oil at this time of year.
    Should i start i up and down or would this do more harm than good.
    I want to look after this car as i like golfs especially the older mk2 and 3s
    and i like this car a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭johnplayerblue

Also i need 4 wheels/tyers as im getting rid of alloys and the local scrap yards don't have any for a golf at the moment and what i should have asked was would any wheels with the same dimesions do the job? to my mind the answer would be yes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

Well a car is going to suffer in not used for a prolonged period even if its stored in a garage. All I can suggest is to obviously have antifreeze in it, keep the battery charged up, don't put on the handbrake - keep it in gear and put some blocks nesar the wheels, Keep the tires inflated properly and start it up at least once a week and move it as much as it can be moved on the driveway.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

What I would do...

If your going to see the car everyday, start the engine until it warms... Get the juices flowing.

Next step.. ON PRIVATE ROAD IF YOUR NOT INSURED. Drive it about slowly... ie up and down your drive.

Make the sure coolant is a 50/50 of water/antifreeze

Check all fluids regularly, check tyre pressure (make sure to roll them, back to 2nd step)

My sister did this and the car was perfect all winter (it was 'stored' all winter 2 years ago)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Its fluids im worried about, should i fill the tank to avoid condensation! brakes, clutch, coolant, and above all engine oil, should i change the oil?
    its pretty black so could do with a change along with some engine flush and a filter i guess but should i put back in the 15w 40 im using at the moment or should i use a thicker or thiner oil at this time of year.

Yep theres no harm in filling up on juice to avoid moisture build in the tank.I wouldnt be too keen on using an engine flush on a 12year old car especially if its high mileage.

There may be glog sealing parts of the engine and running the flush will clear it and may give you leaks.Theres no harm in gicing it a service but id be inclined to wait untill before you intend driving it again to do so.

I dont think theres much need to go for a lower/higher viscosity oil for the time of year either

Advertisement