Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend nights out in dundalk - over 20?

Options
  • 26-11-2005 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭

why are most of the pubs in dundalk turning into over 20s at the weekend? Courtneys, harveys, moes (when it reopens), and obv the older ones..Parkes, Danes
    and the nightclubs at the weekend, vicars, amber, ridleys, silence.? i know that vicars for example let in under 20 years olds (myself included) but is it actually legal to have over 20s age limits?
    its a bit annoying if we go out with our friends who are not known in the town, and if they are stopped, then thats it..no entry?? just something i noticed over the summer!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

Because they're all owned by just a few people....old people, who prefer not to have the bother that comes with a late teen crowd. The younger crowd tend to scare off the older seemingly more moneyed crowd that these owners prefer to cater for...
    I quit going out in the kip that is Park St a long time ago...got refused too many times at various premises using ID, or the old "regulkars only" chestnut, as an excuse (I was over the 21 limit at the time)...I call it the Ridley's effect. Doormen in the town centre are far too clannish....if one takes a disliking to you or your group, chances are you won't get into any of the places (maybe this has changed; I CBA to find out).

As for the legal side...AFAIk they can set the rights of admission as they see fit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Dundalk Online

yeah i know what you mean wertz, as far as i know they are employed by a doorman company... its so irritating but as i always say "stupid bastards, wont let me in :eek:, lets go to corbetts/mcmanuses!!"

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭flynnser19

so so true!!vicars is over 18's really like but its the only place to go at the weekends.i love it and all but it wud b nice to have the choice.ridleys is a joke even if ur 21 apparently!!and this phrase of "the camera doesnt like ya" is so horrible my brother gets that all the time jus coz he has a shaved head and he's far from a rough fella!!he sounds like a saint if dey knew him lolol.dundalk need to wise up coz dey do have a college down d road full of ppl under 20 so its not like ders a lack of under 20's!!??

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭kittenz

i am shocked that you say courtneys wont let people under 20 in, i was there on saturday night, and the majority of the crowd there were 18-20 year olds.... havent noticed myself in the clubs, am usually a bit too drunk to notice the different ages there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

well i dont usually get stopped in courtneys but i have been; and they have turned me away for not being 20 (im a month off my 20th) :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33 astonvilla

dundalk cailini am shocked that anyone gets stopped going to courtneys, parkes does be fine about ID most the time very rare they would stop ladies.....

there is good lot of decent pubs likes of phoenix and russels and beerkeeper that dont really care bout ids either so ya still have good choices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

well i dont usually get stopped in courtneys but i have been; and they have turned me away for not being 20 (im a month off my 20th) :rolleyes:

I was in courtneys a few weeks ago and there were a few secondary school guys that I recognise there. I doubt they were 18.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

wrecks my head to be honest. sometimes not a bother, wouldnt even need the id, but other times.. me and my friends have never caused trouble or anything like that, we go out in dundalk every weekend! (well before i went to france of course :D) ive often met my 18 yr old cousin out, drunk as a skunk, after being in some of the places i get refused from :mad: :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tIS hImSelF

I'm no longer asked for ID but I did use to get asked all the time
    The Beerkeeper is very very strict when it comes to ID, I inderstand that now because it has one of the best crowds in the town.

Ridleys can go well overboard sometimes, but the lads down in amber are not that strict. Amber is actually not a bad night club - if only they can get a bit of a crowd in it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭CmX

Stay away from pubs that don't like "the look" of you.
    They're usually not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 swan_dive

Quote "...most the time very rare they would stop ladies..."

Its true that when going into most places you have less of a chance of being carded if you have a pair of tits on you. Even if its a women carding a women, and it may be even subconsciously, but ladies do get asked less. Perhaps its because people think they're are less dangerous and less likely to start trouble, or they're being honest, or they're hot and so they get by.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

i never got stopped in courtneys either and i look really young, is parkes/silence over 21 on sun night cos i know aload of students that go out and they never get stopped for id

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I'm no longer asked for ID but I did use to get asked all the time
    The Beerkeeper is very very strict when it comes to ID, I inderstand that now because it has one of the best crowds in the town.

Ridleys can go well overboard sometimes, but the lads down in amber are not that strict. Amber is actually not a bad night club - if only they can get a bit of a crowd in it
    Ridleys is one of the best run nightclubs in the country to be honest.. As much as I resented there policy at the door when I was younger, its a god send now..

Never seen a fight in the place in about 1000 visits...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Ridleys is one of the best run nightclubs in the country to be honest.. As much as I resented there policy at the door when I was younger, its a god send now..

thats all well and good but its unfair to tar every young person with the same image

• Registered Users Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭The_Bullman

I've seen a few fights in the place, but dealt with quickly.

Personally I think Ridleys is a total kip but I'll agree that it is well run, and pulls in a great crowd (myself included :p)

Advertisement