Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Investigation Group

• 27-11-2005 2:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Hi, the following is a copy of an article I wrote about a paranormal investigations group I hope to set up called the Paranormal Investigations Bureau - PIB -

The Paranormal Investigations Bureau
    A reader has asked me some questions about my propsed venture so I will try to answer them now. I'm in Co. Wexford, Ireland near a city called Enniscorthy, the PIB will search for recruits to help in investigations and will try to affiliate itself with other organisations such as the PRAI - Paranormal Research Association of Ireland - and the NIPRA - Northern Ireland Paranormal Research Association -; later, the PIB will try to affiliate with other global organisations in America, the UK etc.

Of course, the PIB will not charge for investigations but in the initial stages, I will be asking for website donations to help fund the organisation to cover costs and expenses. Experts in analysis and other scientific practices will be needed but anybody with a belief in the paranormal will be quite welcome to join. Also recruits will be known as agents, to tell you the truth to me anyway, a 'PIB Agent' sounds a lot better than a 'PIB Member' and will be required to carry a photo ID card.

I also hope to acquire an office space for the organisation because I wouldn't be able to operate it all out of my bedroom through this computer. I also hope to acquire some equipment such as digital cameras, instamatic cameras, camcorders, night-vision goggles, EMF detectors that kind of thing.

Anyway, I hope answered your questions.

Readers of this - the original posting is here (http://www.blogit.com/Blogs/Affil/?119457/Blog.aspx/mysteryaddict/) on the site called blogit.com have been in support of this and I was womdering if anyone had any tips to help set up this group? Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

How old are you?

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭segarox

23... why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭elusiveguy

Zillah wrote:
    How old are you?

I was wondering the same...

why would you want to know how old I am?

I asked because the entire plan sounds so...immature. I don't mean that in an offensive way but calling it the "Paranormal Investigation Bureau" and having the investigators be called "agents"...its all so 15 year old boy.

I fear no one will take it seriously.

• Advertisement

I'm not offended, I thought it sounded cool y'know. That's just the way my mind works... I guess I was trying to throw in a sense of offciality there.

segarox wrote:
    I thought it sounded cool y'know...I guess I was trying to throw in a sense of offciality there.

I fear that going with an impulse on what seems "cool" and trying to sound official don't quite mix well...

Have you considered Roleplaying Games?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭solas

Zillah, at this stage I don't think I should have to be warning you about having a hostile attitude toward new members.
    segarox wrote:
    I wrote about a paranormal investigations group I hope to set up called the Paranormal Investigations Bureau
    have you previous experience in dealing with the paranormal, or what attracted you to this field.

I really wasn't being hostile.

I've no investigation experience but I've read a lot about UFO's, Ghosts, Monsters and such, also I've been interested in investigating paranormal activites for a very long time now.

I'm going to go college soon to pursue a career in journalism and I think that will help in my interests.

• Advertisement

Zillah wrote:

I found that hostile

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

I have to agree with Zillah on the naming of the 'bureau' and 'agents'....

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=bureau

See, it's largely associated with the government, such as the American Federal Bureau of Investigation, of which you are sure to attract comparisons since the name of your organisation is so similar.

Good luck to you and your new investigation group, perhaps you can write about your findings, but I'd consider changing the name...

I didn't mean it in an 'FBI' sense, I meant it in a 'group' or 'organisation' way

Well how about the Paranormal Investigation and Research Institute, you're all right though I did sound too childish; however, I would still insist on each member carrying a photo ID card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

may i ask why?

so as to show people that members would be genuine investigators and assure witnesses that we're having them in case they be afraid of having the utter piss taken out them. besides some groups in the states do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

will ye take it easy on the guy for god's sake,weather or not he is experienced or the name sounds stupid etc someone has an intrest in something we should support and encourage and advise as best to our ability how would u like someone taking the mick out of ur idea
    ps not directed at anyone just a feeling im getting from the thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Zillah wrote:

I find it insulting,
    really on behalf of most of the rpgers I object.

Oh and Enischorty is a town not a city, if you want to go investigating why
    not try retracing the trail of death where people where slaughtered by
    cromwell and buried where they fell.
    OR spen a night up at the Olart echo chamber.

theres aquite a few folk around here who organise investigations on occasion, nothing too formal just a gathering of people, maybe you could attend one of their future events just so as to get an idea of what goes on.
    Best of luck with your journalism and who knows, maybe in a few years time we will be reading one of your books on the subject.

;)

thanks loads solas

• Advertisement

Thaedydal wrote:
    I find it insulting,
    really on behalf of most of the rpgers I object.

You misunderstand. I am a roleplayer. The only reason I mention it was because the impression I got was that some of it might have been derived from a desire to have the opportunity to roleplay paranormal investigation "agents".

But yeah, good luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I had a look at your "manifesto" (for want of a better word) as it were and while I think the idea has some potential, the idea of calling the members "agents" doesn't quite work for me, and the idea of "office space"... while it's nice and all, I dunno how feasable it would be to do. In all the paranormal organisations I either helped to found or I'm a member of, they never asked for any money, other than the money used to pay the location owners for upkeep and such. Other than that, we usually operated out of our own pocket, with regards to getting there, be it by bus or train, or chipping in for fuel costs if you're sharing a car. All this said though, I'd say the id cards would be pretty feasable, just so you have proof regarding who you are, in case you're ever investigating public property, due to the fact that a group of people in somewhere like a cemetary is awfully suspicious to a passer-by who may end up calling the guards or police (depending on where you investigate).

The idea of agents though sounds a little computer-gamey to me, and I can't help but think that whenever I think of the word agent, or even operative, it reminds me of the game I have in the works, which ironically, takes a little from my experiences of the paranormal, though that's just me. I'm also a Computer Games student, so that could be another influence. Either way, if youever need to talk about setting up a paranormal organisation, while I don't consider myself an expert, I do like to think that I have some experience with doing such things, however good or bad it may seem. :p

On the note of investigations.... anyone want to do another investigation sometime next year? It might end up being in Charleville again, but what I might actually do is see what other locations are available to investigate. Naturally, you guys can suggest a place... which reminds me, I need to get those forums I registered ages ago up and running properly... I'll have to wait another week before I can work on them, as I'm having internet problems at home at the moment, but they should pass soon.

I had let my childish side get the better of me there and I apologise to all of the people who've posted on this thread. I still like the idea of calling it the Paranormal Investigations Bureau or the Paranormal Investigation and Research Institute and I'd still wanna keep the idea of ID Cards but let's just say... I've really grown-up and copped on

segarox wrote:
    Paranormal Investigation and Research Institute

That sounds much more reasonable, but im fairly sure an institute is a place, as in you could "go to the institute".

segarox wrote:
    I had let my childish side get the better of me there and I apologise to all of the people who've posted on this thread.

It's cool. There's nothing wrong with that happening, though it's just a matter of when to let that inner child out to play. :)
    I still like the idea of calling it the Paranormal Investigations Bureau or the Paranormal Investigation and Research Institute and I'd still wanna keep the idea of ID Cards but let's just say... I've really grown-up and copped on

The PIRI sounds better really in my opinion, and I'd say definately go for the ID cards, as they're pretty useful in many aspects, so people know you're prettyserious about what you're doing. I'm sure with the advent of the PRAI, people are more open to the idea of paranormal investigation...

Kennett wrote:
    Either way, if youever need to talk about setting up a paranormal organisation, while I don't consider myself an expert, I do like to think that I have some experience with doing such things, however good or bad it may seem.

Well I would like to hear your advice, no matter how inexperienced you might think it'd sound

When I get myself settled down within the next few days, I'll be in more of a position to offer help and stuff...

cooling... thanks a lot man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

I would be interested, im based in Dublin, i also know of a few others that might be interested, myself and a few others run UFO-Ireland.com (sorry bout the site, been to busy to update it) but we also deal with paranormal cases aswell.

Drop me a mail at info@ufo-ireland.com when your setup and looking for people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭plonk

Cool idea hope it goes well for you
    love to be part of it but in galway

For anyone whose interested, I'll be starting the group next summer when I relocate to Dublin to go to college

plonk wrote:
    love to be part of it but in galway

well, i've been toying with the idea of having 'Liasons' y'know members in other counties running their own investigations and getting in touch with the Dublin members if they really need help.

segarox wrote:
    cooling... thanks a lot man

Do you have MSN, Yahoo, GoogleTalk or AIM?

I'm on Yahoo but I won't have the Yahoo Messenger until the weekend. My Yahoo name is tazizcool

segarox wrote:
    I'm on Yahoo but I won't have the Yahoo Messenger until the weekend. My Yahoo name is tazizcool

Okay, I'll add you tomorrow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

I would also be interested in setting up a group that deals with the paranormal, that investigates it. I think to have gained considerable knowledge in paranormal areas, so I could be of help.

What do people think of the name 'Paranormal Investigation and Research Organisation'?

Hmm... I'd say it's not bad at all.

That sounds cool.

Um...is that Mulder in your avatar?

Zillah wrote:
    Um...is that Mulder in your avatar?

Yes. Problem with that?

• Advertisement

No no.

Just, well, it kinda lends credence to my earlier theory...

Zillah wrote:
    Just, well, it kinda lends credence to my earlier theory...

Oh come on, just because I like The X Files and I have a picture of Mulder for my avatar you're drawing onto that conclusion... I got one word for you, coincidence!

So what if he likes the X-Files and wants an avatar relating to it?

Hey Im not criticising, I just thought that it kind of validated my earlier theory that a lot of this was because he wanted get the chance to play a supernatural investigations agent or some such.

But you say its a coincidence? Alright then, it is.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

The last name sounds good, your original suggestion would cause more p-taking, not less I reckon. Anyway good luck with it, regardless of what you call it, it sounds like a worthwhile thing to start, and I hope it goes well and you learn a lot. Im based in your area so if I can ever be of help let me know. I am interested in the paranormal as all the regulars know, but more the kooky side rather than the 'scientific' side;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

KatieK wrote:
    The last name sounds good, your original suggestion would cause more p-taking, not less I reckon. Anyway good luck with it, regardless of what you call it, it sounds like a worthwhile thing to start, and I hope it goes well and you learn a lot. Im based in your area so if I can ever be of help let me know. I am interested in the paranormal as all the regulars know, but more the kooky side rather than the 'scientific' side;)

The name is ok (though I think a bit too long but anyway), it's a good start.

Such a group would require the help of anybody who's interested in it. Right now, it looks like as if a group is created, so if you wanna join.......

I am also a man of science, I often try to explain things from a scientific point of view. But you also have to accept that there could be something beyond the explainable, which can not be proven or explained by science. However, I am a man of science, but also I have a profound knowledge in many areas of the paranormal.

You'd be welcome to join.

zillah wrote:
    Hey Im not criticising, I just thought that it kind of validated my earlier theory that a lot of this was because he wanted get the chance to play a supernatural investigations agent or some such.
    I used to have a scully fbi badge.

i miss that badge

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

segarox wrote:
    I got one word for you, coincidence!
    An x-files fan who believes in coincidence :eek: They got to you didn't they ...
    :)

There seems to be much more interest in this kind of thing than I ever thought there would be. The boards seems to be full of people interested in doing investigations or starting groups. And that's just people who've found there way here, there could be many times more who haven't. The only slight problem with this is that there could be too many groups, well not 'too many' as such but it's kind of less efficient with every body seperated, altough I can see why people would want their own groups to be free to do whatever they wanted whatever way they think is best. I wonder if some kind of co-ordinating group could be a good idea, nobody would actually be tied to it, but it would be a way for the various groups to coordinate and share information and resources. I'll think about it for the next few days and maybe pop some kind of proposal up on the forum see what ye all think.

Would anybody object if I called it the Central Investigations Agency ? :v:

stevenmu wrote:
    I wonder if some kind of co-ordinating group could be a good idea, nobody would actually be tied to it, but it would be a way for the various groups to coordinate and share information and resources.

I suggested something similar not too long ago actually... great minds think alike, eh? ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Yeah, I saw your post on the Kerry thread after I posted here. I'd started working on an online investigations database after charleville, but listening to all those hours of (empty) static drove me slightly insane so I never really finished it off :) I'm feeling up to it again now, so if you're interested I might throw some ideas together and we can see about organising something ?

• Advertisement
Advertisement