Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Investigation Group

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭segarox

The Paranormal Investigation and Research Institute it is then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

segarox wrote:
    The Paranormal Investigation and Research Institute it is then

What's the difference between Investigation and Research though?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

To my mind 'investigation' (like experimentation) would be generating your own information or data, whereas 'research' would be searching for and making use of existing information. I'm sure a dictionary would prove me wrong, but that's the distinction I'd make anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

stevenmu wrote:
    I'm feeling up to it again now, so if you're interested I might throw some ideas together and we can see about organising something ?

Sounds like a plan... I'm game :)

I just want to wish everyone a happy christmas, one other thing seeing as how popularity is growing for the PIRI... I was thinking on moving forward the startup date to eitheir january or february

I was wondering if anyone had heard any reports of monsters or occultism because I'm interested un that kind of thing, investigating those type of cases is part of the PIRI cases, And another thing, if there is anyone from boyle, co. roscommon posting... please tell me is there anything worth investigating in the town?

KatieK wrote:
    The last name sounds good, your original suggestion would cause more p-taking, not less I reckon. Anyway good luck with it, regardless of what you call it, it sounds like a worthwhile thing to start, and I hope it goes well and you learn a lot. Im based in your area so if I can ever be of help let me know. I am interested in the paranormal as all the regulars know, but more the kooky side rather than the 'scientific' side;)

Would you like to join up?

I'm putting together a 'Meet The Team' page on the website and if anyone is interested, mail me at fwmulder@eircom.net and all I'll need is a photo and a small description of yourself something along the lines of -
    The Paranormal and the Unexplained have always interested me and last summer, after reading loads of books on the subject, I decided to begin an investigation group. Unfortunately, I've never had experience in the field of investigating but I am armed with a curious mind and an inquisitive nature
    - and also tell me if it's okay to put your e-mail address on the page.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭BadAcidStudios

I suppose the next step is to find a derilict fire station to set up office.

Seriously, i think in this case a bit of constructive criticisim is needed. The whole thing just sounds like a teenagers fantasy. Im interested in the paranormal but to worry about the name of your organisation, photo id cards for your agents and chasing monsters it just sounds a bit of a fantasy to me.

Ok, so maybe that wasnt that constructive, sorry. I just think that your attitude is probably gonna be a bit too much for joe soap if you know what i mean. If you are doing it for your own amusment then fire away, go nuts. I just got the impression that you will want to make yourselves public with the view to investigate things for people. It just seems that the aspects of your new group you are discussing here are a bit trivial and childish. Sorry.

Im glad you have decided on a name though :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,633 ✭✭✭stormkeeper

I suppose the next step is to find a derilict fire station to set up office.

People actually do that? Damn, I've been going about this the wrong way!
    Seriously, i think in this case a bit of constructive criticisim is needed. The whole thing just sounds like a teenagers fantasy. Im interested in the paranormal but to worry about the name of your organisation, photo id cards for your agents and chasing monsters it just sounds a bit of a fantasy to me.

Point of contention about the photocards: you do need to actually prove who you are... even the PRAI had them when I was in there, so they're very much useful for proving your identity. And "chasing monsters"? Well, I'm not passing judgement on this... I'm gonna sit on the fence seeing as the term "monster" is a little ambiguous, to be honest. I've got nothing to say regarding the name... a name is a name, and can be changed...
    Ok, so maybe that wasnt that constructive, sorry. I just think that your attitude is probably gonna be a bit too much for joe soap if you know what i mean. If you are doing it for your own amusment then fire away, go nuts. I just got the impression that you will want to make yourselves public with the view to investigate things for people. It just seems that the aspects of your new group you are discussing here are a bit trivial and childish. Sorry.

Many ideas can seem childish at the time, due to the enthusiasm towards them. Generally what happens as the idea begins to take shape is that it becomes a little more realistic, and less embedded in "fantasy", as it were. Personally, I'm willing to stand on the side and see how this develops. I was actually entertaining the idea of forming a group myself, just so it's easier to conduct investigations, be they UK or Irish ones. As it stands, I'm more freelance, as opposed to anything else, even if I am a member of a group here in England.

A friend of mine suggested setting up a society for it at university as well... which I think might be an idea, but I'm going to give it some thought first, as setting up a society isn't an easy thing to do really.

• Advertisement

What you don't seem to realise BadAcidStudios is that I have really grown up, copped on and got some sense about the idea and that I'm a potential 'truthseeker'.

There's loads more to the paranormal than supernatural activity and extraterrestial activity, there's other phenomenon such as parapsychology (psychics & telekinetics), cryptozoology (monsters) and occultism (druidism(?), witchcraft, magick etc.) and I don't think there's anything wrong about wanting to look into those types of cases.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Parapsychology is the study of anything to do with superhuman mental capacity, so it crosses over into pretty much every area of the paranormal.

Cyptozoology is the search for animals not yet discovered, not "monsters". The very fact that you'd use to word "monsters" at all is off putting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭BadAcidStudios

segarox wrote:
    What you don't seem to realise BadAcidStudios is that I have really grown up, copped on and got some sense about the idea and that I'm a potential 'truthseeker'.

There's loads more to the paranormal than supernatural activity and extraterrestial activity, there's other phenomenon such as parapsychology (psychics & telekinetics), cryptozoology (monsters) and occultism (druidism(?), witchcraft, magick etc.) and I don't think there's anything wrong about wanting to look into those types of cases.

I didnt say there was anything wrong with looking into these things. Its just that when someone tells me they want to move to dublin to start college and at the same time set up an office in the city and get a group of agents together to search for the truth, it just seems to me that you need to take a step back and look at things realisticly. What experience do you have, you have an interest and have read a few books over the summer.
    Starting college isnt the easiest thing in the world to do, nevermind finding office space and organising a truth Seeking team and a website at the same time. I dont think you are looking at things properly. Whats gonna pay for the office, all the costs involved and the website. Anything you plan on doing could be done from your bedroom and internet.

These are the things you should be asking about here. Not "What should we call ourselves"

"Also recruits will be known as agents, to tell you the truth to me anyway, a 'PIB Agent' sounds a lot better than a 'PIB Member' and will be required to carry a photo ID card.

I also hope to acquire an office space for the organisation because I wouldn't be able to operate it all out of my bedroom through this computer. I also hope to acquire some equipment such as digital cameras, instamatic cameras, camcorders, night-vision goggles, EMF detectors that kind of thing."

If you have a genuine interest in this stuff why not join an already established group and see how things are organised. The truth is out there....:-)

Advertisement