Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance premium reduction seems to have stalled

Options
  • 27-11-2005 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭

I got my renewal on Friday and it seems that a after a couple of years of good reductions in the premium it now is almost the same as last year.(BTW am at my max NCD for years and years)

Its €620 this year and I think it was €627 last year so I'm a bit disappointed cos I was kind of expecting to be sub 600.
    I tried a few of the online places and it seems to be about the going rate ok,except for Quinn D who want €828 LOL:v:

Anyone else notice this ?
    (With Allianz - comp on 2004 A4 TDI 130)

Seven Worlds will Collide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,404 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Road deaths have been rising over the last few years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭drdre

i was also dissapointed as my insurance went up nearly 700 euro. this was because i went from 1.0 to 1.4 but they said that its also because of increase in insurance in general. but after reading the papers and viewing the internet i thought it would go down. i will wait till next renewal and then i will do proper research as its becoming a joke now.we are paying them tooooo much money for insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The IIF said premiums would start rising if the government did'nt get its act together on fatalities and bent metal.

I gues this is a handy position for the IIF as they can rightly accuse the Depts of Justice and Transport of failing to reign in the maddess as they start jacking up rates. Yet the Motor Insurance Advisory Board is up and running and the insurance companies themselves are making exellent profits.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Am I the only one who thinks road deaths and fatalities are quite low when you consider the amount of cars on the roads, and the motley collection of drivers we have in this country.

Ideally of course no one should ever die on the roads, but what can the Government do, apart from reduce the speed limit to 5mph (and ideally have a man walking in front of every car with a red flag). The roads can be imporved greatly (and to give credit, they are a lot better than they were 5-8 years ago), but it wont stop a guy at 3 in the morning falling asleep at the wheel, or idiots driving dangerous. Traffic Corps and all are well and good, but what can they do on the thousands of miles of regional roads at 4 on a sunday morning.

Btw I got a got a quote for a car in the last week and it was €300 higher than an identical quote 3 months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

It makes me sick when people say 'Oh road deaths have gone up so much la de la'

Thats because there are a lot more cars on the road than there were this time 10 years ago so STFU N00B!

I'm sure if you took Road deaths : Cars as a ratio 10 years ago, and did the same for 2004/5/whatever the ratio wouldnt be that much different

(Excluding Donegal.. I just dont know what goes on up there)

• Advertisement

It makes me sick when people say 'Oh road deaths have gone up so much la de la'

Thats because there are a lot more cars on the road than there were this time 10 years ago so STFU N00B!

WTF? :confused:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2091-1869724,00.html

He suggested the government might be waiting until after the next general election before enforcing unpopular road-safety measures. “What’s more important — risking being unpopular for a while or saving lives,” he asked.
    That sounds so true. Theres few votes in road safety, a lot more in being a lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Victor wrote:
    That sounds so true. Theres few votes in road safety, a lot more in being a lad.

It is easy to blame the Government (and I dont particularly like FF/PDs)...
    • My uncle and another passenger were killed overtaking a truck, he struck an Audi more or less head on... didnt have a chance in a Clio. Try as I may I can find no reason why the Government or anyone else can be blamed for this.
    • My neighbour was killed when testing out his Carlos Sainz Celica on the back roads, hit a bump in the road and went airbourne. It was a horrible horrible thing to happen, but it was his fault, and no one elses.

From personal experience most near escapes I have had have been down to driver error (both by me and others). I dont know what can be done about this.

I think you are overlooking the wider context in which such incidents occur.

The government should make "Drivers-Ed" a manditory part of final year at school, govenment should see the police enforce the law, so ppl understand they actually do stand a chance of being caught, which in turn changes the attitude many have when behind the wheel.

The cases you mention may well have happened anyway - determinedly stupid drivers are bound to kill themselves or someone else but if it can shown that actions have consequences (while still alive) then fewer will die.

Thats already been proved with the dramatic fall in deaths in the 3-4 months after the penalty points were introduced, when the public realised the chances are getting caught were small the bad old ways returned and we're back to nearly 400 dead.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭curiosity

Same sus here. Got renewal last week from FBD (2 yrs with them), TP only; €346 (full no claims protection). Paid €343 last year. I drive a 12yo golf so I figured there was no point in comp if I could save a few quid.

Did some phoning, got some good quotes on comp (€367 AA, €330 topquote). When back to FBD, told them I had got better quotes, sadly they didn't budge.

So I should have comp insurance for around the same price as last years TP. Result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,409 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Its €620 this year and I think it was €627 last year so I'm a bit disappointed cos I was kind of expecting to be sub 600

I understand you're disappointed but the quote doesn't seem that bad if you take into account the insurance is fully comprehensive and your car is worth €30k

As others said, the decline in road deaths (and presumably injuries as well) has come to a halt or indeed is on the up unfortunately :(

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

curiosity wrote:
    Same sus here. Got renewal last week from FBD (2 yrs with them), TP only; €346 (full no claims protection). Paid €343 last year. I drive a 12yo golf so I figured there was no point in comp if I could save a few quid.

Did some phoning, got some good quotes on comp (€367 AA, €330 topquote). When back to FBD, told them I had got better quotes, sadly they didn't budge.

So I should have comp insurance for around the same price as last years TP. Result!

Interesting, a similar thing happened to me with FBD, my renewal was around the same as last years too, got another quote from the AA and went back to FBD and told them that I was getting it cheaper from the AA. I asked them could they match it? They put me on hold for about 20 secs and then told me no problem. Saved myself about €125. I prefered to deal with my local branch rather than the head office in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

unkel wrote:
    I understand you're disappointed but the quote doesn't seem that bad if you take into account the insurance is fully comprehensive and your car is worth €30k

It true OK Unkel, compared to what some,particularly younger drivers,have to pay.
    Just for the craic I did an online quote with Alllianz for a 1400 Focus and it was €505 which seems crazy altogether.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭PaddyFagan

I'd also recommend giving the AA a call (no on-line quotes) saved me a few hundred over the best quote I could get online.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,256 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

unkel wrote:

Would have to agree with this - there must be a point where your premium won't drop any further, and €620 seems like a reasonable quote given the car you drive. I don't think even my mother is paying much less than that, and that's on a smaller Audi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭jlang

I wasn't that impressed with the renewal quote I got from Hibernian - only 30 less than I paid last year but a couple of weeks and a couple of calls later had them down by 200. That matched what I'd got offered by FBD so I stayed with Hibernian. Although strangely enough, on the first phone call, they weren't budging at all.

Looks like you had a good deal last year so once you are already on max discounts, max NCB etc there's not much more that can eat away at the premium.

Victor wrote:
    Hmmm, but there is votes in lower insurance and seeing as only other people commit traffic offences .....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Aine Smith

I've been shopping around and I got a very competitive quote from Britton Insurances website www.brittoninsurance.com

Its bull****. With limited competition in this country's insurance industry most insurers have formed their own little niches.

Without real competition we will never see the cost of insurance fall. The road deaths excuse (as tragic as it is) simply does not cut mustard with the profit these companies are making.
    It is also a convenient way of shoving the blame on the government. And because people care more about saving lives than the cost of insurance premiums (rightly so) the issue of competition in the insurance gets side tracked. Guess who funds all those road safety adds.....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Aine Smith wrote:
    I've been shopping around and I got a very competitive quote from Britton Insurances website www.brittoninsurance.com

Yea,tried them got practically the same quote as I have now...with the same company !

There was also one around €570 but didn't have bonus protection for that price and was around the same price with it.

It's a bit complicated as within a week or two of my renewal I'm changing to a new Golf GTI so have to find out what they'll charge for that.(€784 with Allianz)

• Advertisement
Advertisement