Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Alfa 147 2.0 selespeed?

Options
  • 27-11-2005 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭

As some of you know the hunt is on for a car to replace my 1.8 alfa 156.

I want a highly specced car, and ive loved my alfa, hence something like the following has caught my eye :D

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=317576

all the spec i want and a 2ltr t spark, only problem is the selespeed gearbox, i hear they can troublesome, has anyone got experience of one and how do they work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Cyrus wrote:
    Nice car with a pleasing lack of modifications. Worrying number of owners for a 42000mile car, though.

Apparently the early selespeeds on the 156 suffered electronic gremlins. Anything on a 147 should be sorted, but I'm open to correction on that. I believe there's a software "patch" to smooth changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,060 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

indeed i was more posting that for illustration tho, as i dont want another silver car :)

its the spec im looking for tho but i dont want a selespeed if its gonna cost me a fortune to fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I've heard of numerous issues with the selespeed in the early 147s (i.e 2001/2).

I'm not 100% sure on causes/symptoms/solutions as one would not appeal to me, but probably best to speak to someone with some personal experience of it? There is a couple of owner forums out there which should get you set in the right direction.

nice choice ;)!

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭pbergin

Nice car with a pleasing lack of modifications. Worrying number of owners for a 42000mile car, though.

When I was buying a used 156 I checked was there any warrenty claims on the car. Alfa supply 1 year warrenty and a private insurance company supply the remaining 2 years. After phoning them I was sure the car was a gooden and never had any major work done to it (i.e. new engine).

Advertisement