Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best internet option for Dublin6/Rathgar. No contract

• 27-11-2005 12:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭

Posted this yesterday, wrong forum, sorry.

Ok, so this is for my sister, here are the limitations:

1. No NTL (while I've heard this is the probably the best, she's getting free cable from them and doesn't want to start paying for it!)

2. No Contracts unless you can stop them in the summer months, and then continue in september.

3. Upload speed must be at least 200+kbps. 512 is ideal. Minimum 2MBps down.

Price range-- no more than 50E.

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭doodio

oh, she'll need a line rental too.

Considering BT cause it's an extra tenner for the line. But I've heard it's one of the worst services to go with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,812 ✭✭✭Drapper

doodio wrote:
    oh, she'll need a line rental too.

Considering BT cause it's an extra tenner for the line. But I've heard it's one of the worst services to go with.

maybe a wireless service? its mobile and she might be able to take it with her over the summer? if that company has a serivce in you area

i don't think there'll be a suitable wireless service. all the ones i've seen are like 512K or 1MB down. And we'll be going back home to canada for the summer months : ) Back to no contention ratios, rediculous prices, line failures etc ;)

Thanks

doodio wrote:
    i don't think there'll be a suitable wireless service. all the ones i've seen are like 512K or 1MB down. And we'll be going back home to canada for the summer months : ) Back to no contention ratios, rediculous prices, line failures etc ;)

Thanks

well can't think of any ! unless you sign up for a telephone line !

Drapper wrote:
    well can't think of any ! unless you sign up for a telephone line !
    :) yep, she's willing to get a line. Just don't know what the best service would be with the price under 50.

BT has it for like 35-45E i think, including the line rental... are there any better alternatives to this?

• Advertisement

MAgnet ? www.magnet.ie basic service or SMart telecom

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Drapper wrote:
    MAgnet ? www.magnet.ie basic service or SMart telecom

I think it is mad to recommend a service like Magnet that is only starting up and which no body has any experience of. Smart at the moment have a 12 month contract.

Presumably your sister needs bb from say September to June. At the moment the shortest contracts are for six months - so she is going to be faced with starting a new contract each year when she returns and then cancelling it a month in advance before she leaves. She will be faced with line rental all year. Unfortunately it is hard to imagine this process running smoothly with our current isps:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The new speeds being introduced in the new year will take care of the speed requirements.

dub45 wrote:
    I think it is mad to recommend a service like Magnet that is only starting up and which no body has any experience of. Smart at the moment have a 12 month contract.

Presumably your sister needs bb from say September to June. At the moment the shortest contracts are for six months - so she is going to be faced with starting a new contract each year when she returns and then cancelling it a month in advance before she leaves. She will be faced with line rental all year. Unfortunately it is hard to imagine this process running smoothly with our current isps:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

The new speeds being introduced in the new year will take care of the speed requirements.

do these new speeds affect BT as well, or just eircomm? Think they'd be for both? What's the upload speed with BT?

The other thing is, she doesn't know if she'll be in the same house next september. she seems to move around a fair bit from year to year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

if eircom ugrade the speeds on their normal broadband offerings the offer is passed on to BT UTV and any other wholesaler of eircom's broadband (bt are effectively selling you eircom's product)

at the moment bt upload is 128k for both 1mbit and 2mbit. after the speed increases in jan. they will be 256k for the 1mbit(which is upgraded to 2mbit) and 384k for the 2mbit(which is upgraded to 3mbit).

Cremo wrote:
    if eircom ugrade the speeds on their normal broadband offerings the offer is passed on to BT UTV and any other wholesaler of eircom's broadband (bt are effectively selling you eircom's product)

at the moment bt upload is 128k for both 1mbit and 2mbit. after the speed increases in jan. they will be 256k for the 1mbit(which is upgraded to 2mbit) and 384k for the 2mbit(which is upgraded to 3mbit).

k, thanks. i think she's gonna go with this one. it's got a 6 month contact. that works out great for now. probably the 2/3mbit package.

if there's any other possibilities, please let me know.

thanks
    doodio

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭quaalude

I work in Dublin 6, and our broadband is from Clearwire: http://www.clearwire.ie/
    We've been using it a couple months now, and we've never had an outage.
    q

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭the Guru

they're are 2 options to her sat and fwa both in my opinion are crap but with IBB there are no contracts with Eircom and BT they're are 6 month contracts which if shes moving in the summer 6 months from now will be fine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,463 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I live in Rathgar ..

Smart are not an option..

NTL are not an option..

Metro not an option..

Your choices are simple..

Esat/BT do have ports in the local exchange ..but I wouldn't give that shower the steam off my píss ever ever ever again after SNL and by all accounts they havent become any more customer friendly since.

So you are left with Eircom or an eircom reseller..

Netsource gets my vote...but these days I think they only take on business customer..and well I'm happy to be still with them in the land of no cap..they dont seem to mind the out of normal business hours excess I sometimes do..

After that its take your chances, UTV used to be the champion of the little man ..but nowadays seem to be the only BB provider that charges for downloading over the cap even if its only by a small amount.

If Netsource isn't an option would go with Eircom again tbh..

The only ppl i've ever heard of being charged for going over the theoretical cap with Eircom have been lads taking the mick altogether..ie 100gb per month plus..stay under than that and yer probably ok.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement