Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Next Friday plan of attack

• 27-11-2005 2:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

So I've been asking around(wrt getting a 360 without a pre-order) and the best bet seems to be Argos. They will have it in stock but they're not taking pre-orders. Smyths will have core bundles available on the day too if you can't find a premium pack anywhere, although they could be all ordered up over the course of this week.

Dedicated game shops are all completely booked out, though I can't imagine them turning someone away who's waving money in their face first thing in the morning so it might be worth a try. Tesco may be an option, the staff were clueless but given they open 24 hours it might be worth a visit at midnight, I have a feeling they won't be stocking them though.

Dixons told me their allocation turned out far smaller than expected so they're very unlikely to have any. Xtravision are advertising the unit heavily but every store I've been to the staff have been clueless.

I know there's been a few threads on this already but given that it's just a week away and stores actually know their allocations now I thought it was worth putting a new thread together. So if anyone else wants to share what they've discovered please do, and if anyone has a preorder they don't want anymore feel free to pass it on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Noobsaibot21

Well,

I can personally tell you that Virgin are all booked up. That should save you some time. Might be worth checking out Bookmart/Gamexchange on Talbot Street but, as they're Indie, they may overcharge...

i was going to get one myself until i heard about all the bugs and faults with a lot of the consoles :(

so i'm going to wait till next year to get mine. also just to let you all know if you don't already if you really are going to get one make sure you have a HD Ready TV, mate of mine in the states said the picture quality on a normal TV isn't that great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,562 ✭✭✭GrumPy

im pre-booked in smyth's, ill be there at 9.00am on friday morning :D get me a nice premium system.... cant wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I've got mine pre-ordered. Now, where can I get E400?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭liamskater

Ha! get it on Friday it will be robbed on the way home!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭steviec

How does the pre-order system work?

If you arrive in that morning with the money, are they really going to turn you away, considering all the pre-orders they took were so long ago and there's bound to be a good few people that end up not turning up.

all i know is, in the unlikly event theres a Q of people outside smyth's at the M1 retail park this friday, i got my pre-order, so good luck for the people Qing that aint got one!!:p only thing im worried about is, if the bastards in smyths will have the premium in on friday :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭Ri_Nollaig

i pre-ordered in gamespot and they ring me asking wat game i wud pick up (said pdz) i also asked them wud it be the core or premium and he said all the pre-orders wud b premium

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

steviec wrote:
    How does the pre-order system work?

If you arrive in that morning with the money, are they really going to turn you away, considering all the pre-orders they took were so long ago and there's bound to be a good few people that end up not turning up.

Simple, people have put deposits on the machine they want some time ago, this is kept on record, and the customer has a reciept to prove it.

They should be called before the launch to remind them it's coming in, they have it booked and to tell them when they need to be in by (in Game, they usually hold onto preordered stock like this for the weekend of launch, if it isn't picked up by then, they sell it to the general public. Of course, the preorderer is still entitled to their deposit off the console, but they will have to wait just like everyone else).

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

I saw in the states you were given/sent a ticket and only those with tickets were allowed to queue/purchase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Does anyone know any stores that will be opening at midnight and selling NOT pre-ordered systems?
    I'll be finished work at 11pm, so I could go straight there and queue.
    Somewhere around Leixlip/Lucan/Blanch would be best :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 HornPilot

Hey steviec, I think ill give argos a go, how do you know they will have some 360's in stock on friday?? did ya give em a call??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Timans

In their new catalogue, they said they have them.
    I rang em(waterford one) and they were saying they won't have them, then irang again, they said they don't have a definate answer.
    I am going down on friday morning though, just to be sure. :-) Pray for me!

Im gonna ring a few of their stores tomorrow and get my ass down there for 9am friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

the bloke in gamestop told me i can only pick up my pre-order if i buy one of there expensive overpriced bundles rang there head office told them where to stick it and they told me to talk to manager who said i cant just have my console. not paying them prices for game s;)

Argos said they'd definitely have some Friday, and their neither taking pre-orders nor opening early. They wouldn't tell me how many they'd have though.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

As a thought, would Argos's ring and reserve service not work if you rang it up early on the morning itself before the store opened? Sounds like a good plan of attack to me ;) .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

Smyths rang today telling me that I am number 42 in the list and that I definatly have a console, only problem is that I have to buy a bundle, I said "WTF!"

Is there many places try to pull a fast one?

sound_wave wrote:
    Smyths rang today telling me that I am number 42 in the list and that I definatly have a console, only problem is that I have to buy a bundle, I said "WTF!"

Is there many places try to pull a fast one?

when did you book yours man? i booked mine on the 19/10/05 in smyths M1 retail park, and they didnt even ask me for number:confused: they just gave me a receipt with "xbox 360 console dep" on it, €10. edit: i rang, and they said theres no problem, once you have it prebooked, and i go in on friday morning, i can get a premium system. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭sound_wave

I prebooked mine in Sept sometime, they gave me a receipt that had my deposit on it, it might be something they do down here in Cork, cause i remember getting a phone call from them too when i prebooked MGS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

email from tesco re xbox 360
    email 1

Thank you for your email.

I would like to confirm that we will ne selling the Xbox 360 on it's releasing date which will be 2nd December 2005.

Please note that only our extras stores will be selling this product.

If you can provide us with your postcode, we will supply you with up to three extra stores in your area including the phone number so you may call in advance before you travel.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES1436721X.

Kind Regards

Bernard Praveen
    Tesco Customer Service

email 2
    Thank you for your reply.

I would ask you to please contact the ROI customer service on 0035312152208 and they will be able to assist you further.

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us at customer.service@tesco.co.uk quoting TES1446836X.

Kind Regards

Bernard Praveen
    Tesco Customer Service

are there any EXTRA stores in Ireland ???

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Tesco Extra can be found at Clare Hall, Malahide Road, Dublin 17.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Talking about that on the radio today (Radio 1-liveline) talking about the PSP and the same stunt they are trying to pull with the console+game €€€€ bundle.

GRRRrrr. just happy Bye4now didn't do that to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

I'e been told that Virgin haven't taken any pre-bookings, and that you can simply queue outside your nearest virgin to try to get your 360 on friday. Is this correct?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I'e been told that Virgin haven't taken any pre-bookings, and that you can simply queue outside your nearest virgin to try to get your 360 on friday. Is this correct?

Yeah but you'll have to buy 2 games (probably a host of peripherals too), plus I've heard they'll be pushing the core system on folks too..

Are there any virgins left in the city centre these days anyway?

(waits for humourous replies)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

I think you're out of luck mate, people are having sex younger and you... OH... VIIIIRGINS... lol

Seriously the only one I can remember is in the Tallaght Square (well there was one there a year ago!), I know the one near the Quays has been gone a long time, I'm living in Carlow you see so I'm not too au fait with Dublin goings on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭Stevee

I got a call from HMV yesterday in work. They called to confrim they had a 360 for me and to invite me to there midnight opening. They also tried to flog me some games E 190 for 3 games. OMG. If I do not collect the 360 by Friday evening they will make it avaliabke to Joe Public

Virgin closed its last city centre store on Henry street a few of months ago when it opened its new Dundrum store. Also in the Square, Liffey Valley and Blanchardstown.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,309 ✭✭✭✭Bard

Virgin have also opened a new store here in Dundalk, in the new Marshes shopping centre.

In Harvey Norman in Dundalk we had received no stock of 360's as of 6pm yesterday. They'd better arrive today (!)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,666 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

As a point of interest - I know for a fact that a shipment of 360's will be arriving next Thursday 8th - the first shipment after launch, so shouldn't be too long to wait if you miss out on one tomorrow.

Hyzepher

Well I'm going to try town tonight. It may be a lost cause without a pre-order but I'll give it a go. Some of the shops may be willing to sell to someone with cash in hand, rather than keep it for someone who paid a 20 euro deposit or whatever who might not turn up for days, remember they keep saying 'we should have your pre-order' rather than 'we will have your preorder' </wishful thinking>

i cant relax :o i have this disgusting feeling even though i have it pre-ordered, and will be at symths at 9am, that the'll be like OMG lol :rolleyes: i neeeed to hold it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just got a call from Game in Liffey Valley asking me was I still interested in the XBOX 360.
    They said they didnt think they would have any Premium systems in (I haven't pre-booked, just registered my interest a few months ago as thats all they would allow me do...) but that they should have some Cores in.
    Said they didnt think they'd have any Premiums til after Xmas, I told them i wasnt interested in the Core, but to keep my name on the list for the Premium.
    So, is happy with a Core, they might be worth a shot tommorrow morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭dor83

i pre-ordered mine in gamestop on liffey street and they told me that they will only hav 1/2 of the pre-orders tomorrow so to get there early. would i hav to que overnight to get it(they are not opening til 8) or what time would people recomend gettin there for?
    thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Laguna wrote:
    Yeah but you'll have to buy 2 games (probably a host of peripherals too), plus I've heard they'll be pushing the core system on folks too..

So if you queue outside Virgin you can get a premium 360 if you buy the 2 games?

xtra-vision drogheda, only 20 consoles, lots of prebookings, = not good, two people i know are a tiny bit pissed, but there stil gonna go in when it opens and see what happens.

There was the odd core available today, But I didnt bother with it. I'll look around from now until xmas and if no joy I guess I'll have to wait til the new year!! How'd the rest of you non pre-orders get on??

Advertisement