Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Barcelona on tv tonight 8pm

• 27-11-2005 3:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭

Need your fix of Ronnie and Messi playing Racing Santander at 8 on sky.

Racing 3rd from bottom.

kdjac

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for the reminder man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Etooooo0o0o0o0o0o0o0oo just scored a superb goal ran from the halfway line. Worth watching highlights for that.

Someone missed a peno for Barca, was watching roma and missed the start of the match.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Ronaldinho missed a peno in the 2nd minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

What a goal.

Ronaldinho missed a pen, but he's been typically sensational, as has Messi. Eto'o was quiet then goes and does that.

Racing still just defending in numbers and hitting on the break, Barca should hopefully go on to get another one or two in the second half. They are utterly dominating possession wise, I've rarely seen a team who retain the ball as well as Barca do.

Wow.......

Messi number got number 2.

Another super goal.

kdjac

• Advertisement

Another peno....

Ronnie chopped up.

Yah dont save them...

3-0

kdjac

4-0 Silvinho with a mazy run and well lucky finish.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,677 ✭✭✭Chong

I love watching Barca so damn good. Sheer persistance from Silvinho there.

They're simply unbeliveable :)

And yet, work so well as a team. On the ball they all move so well, are so unselfish and pass so well. Off the ball, they work their arses off and are so solid. Incredible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

missed the game i'm so upset:(

any1 got a link to highlights/

• Advertisement

Full game is up on torrent sites but Sky reshowing it at 12.

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Is it the full match or highlights on at 12 do you know? Guide thingy isn't doing it's thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,894 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

sure i even guessed what side ronaldinho was going to for the peno. he nearly always goes to the keepers right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If only I didn't refuse to pay for Sky Sports! :( Streams weren't working, certainly getting more and more tempted by the week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

Barca are scarily impressive when they're on form. Does anyone think they can be stopped in Europe if they continue in this vein? Not saying that they'll continue playing like this all season, they will have their bad patches. It's is end of November though and they show no signs of slowing down, so to speak.

The goal by Eto'o was World class, and Messi's wan't bad either. Ronaldinho's second penalty was far more emphatic than his first!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Barca are scarily impressive when they're on form. Does anyone think they can be stopped in Europe if they continue in this vein?

i only said this morning that if they continue like this they will win the CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Barcelona are brilliant when playing rubbish defences, when they come up against an italian team or bayern, chelsea ect you will see their weaknesses exposed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Barca's attack is world class, see the Chelsea game last year, they had no trouble scoring against them, and if you think Chelsea's defence isn't good enough, whose is?

Barca's problem in the CL last year is they came up against one of the other top 4 teams in the compo, and their defense is not up to the task.
    Their midfield and attack line is subline, and their full backs are essentially wing backs.
    They lack a solid back 4, and an amazing destroyer imo, also their goalie isn't fantsatic.
    But they can score more than you so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

Davei141 wrote:
    Barcelona are brilliant when playing rubbish defences, when they come up against an italian team or bayern, chelsea ect you will see their weaknesses exposed.

cynicism at its best. they have the best attacking player in the world in ronaldinho and their back up aint bad either in the likes of e'too and messi. Also puyol isnt a bad defender.Let's just wait and see what happens if barca get one of these teams in the champions league;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Barcelone are unbelievable going forward, the best attacking team there is but there defence isnt good enough. They are exactly the same as Madrid used to be when everyone where saying they are unbeatable which wasnt the case as their defence was shown up for what it is, pretty average.

For that reason I dont think Barcelona will win the Champions League. They still need to sort out their defence first. Im sure many people will disagree with me but if you dont have a good enough defence then I dont think you will the competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

I still think theyre an amazing team, but when a solid defence is in front of them they struggle. When i say theyre weaknesses exposed im talking about their defence, as you said yourself is ****. Against rubbish defensive teams they will always score more goals than you, regardless if they have 4 rubbish defenders and a rubbish goalie at the back. When they come up against a solid defensive unit, they throw everyone forward and bam, countered and conceded. It may be cynicism at its best, but when i watched them vs chelsea last year, the way they conceded goals was pathetic.
    PHB wrote:
    Barca's attack is world class, see the Chelsea game last year, they had no trouble scoring against them, and if you think Chelsea's defence isn't good enough, whose is?
    Barca's problem in the CL last year is they came up against one of the other top 4 teams in the compo, and their defense is not up to the task.
    Exactly, they werent exactly brilliant when they stuck 2 past chelsea and conceded 4 were they? And i wouldnt say they had no trouble scoring, in the first leg they couldnt break chelsea down at all, but when drogba was sent off they got 2 quick goals. After barely creating a goal scoring chance for 80 minutes. Last year people were going mad about how great barca are/were, but they wont win the champions league without a proper defence.
    PHB wrote:

Its no different this year, you know it, i know it, and everyone banging on about how scary they are and how they should win the CL should ought to know it too.

mchurl wrote:
    Let's just wait and see what happens if barca get one of these teams in the champions league

Thats all i can do.

Kingp35 wrote:
    Barcelone are unbelievable going forward, the best attacking team there is but there defence isnt good enough. They are exactly the same as Madrid used to be when everyone where saying they are unbeatable which wasnt the case as their defence was shown up for what it is, pretty average.

They're nowhere near what Madrid used to be in that regard for a few reasons, crucially number 1...

Their mid field is balanced. It's not a joke shop of getting big names in, its perfectly balanced. Xavi, Deco and Van Bommel, their best three imo, is perfect. Van Bommel and Xavi both protect the back four and Xavi especially is the ideal outlet to take pressure off the defence, he simply never misses a pass because he doesn't mind that he doesn't stand out, he doesn't need to try the spectacular. Real have lacked that since their braindead Makelele out Beckham in routine, and even with Makelele their mid field still didn't operate as a unit the way Barcas does.

Their defence is simply better than Reals too and contrary to popular believe is more than good enough (Look at their defencive record ffs! It literally speaks for itself) Puyol is the most under rated defender in europe, he is excellent and a real leader at the back. The rest of their defence is solid and rarely makes Real-esque mistakes.

Compaisons with the gallactijokes are woefully wide of the mark when looking at Barca and are just lazy attributes attached to any side as attack minded as they are. If they were so weak at the back their current defencive record wouldn't be as good as it is. Their defence is solid and their mid field covers them exceptionally. Anyone who says their "defence is ****" has obviously never watched them play or not payed much attention when they did. It has improved alot on last years too.

Lets not forget in the Chelsea game but for an illegal set peice they'd have won. They're even better this year, both in defence and attack. They're favourites atm for the champions league I'd say and I hope to god they do it, they deserve it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I never said their defence is sh1t I said that it was average. I agree that Puyol is a very good defender but he is the only one and he is playing in front of a poor goalkeeper in my opinion.

Im purely talking Champions league here and not La Liga and in the end I think Barca' s defence will be shown up for what it is. If a team can contain Barca's attacking ability they are in serious trouble because they dont have the ability to defend well, they can only attack well. They will meet sides that will be well drilled in how to manage Barca's attacking threat and then their defence will be shown up.

Thats just my opinion of course but i dont think they will win the competiton this year.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I never said their defence is sh1t I said that it was average. I agree that Puyol is a very good defender but he is the only one and he is playing in front of a poor goalkeeper in my opinion.

Sorry, should have made it clear I wasn't just talking about you in my post. Valdes has improved on last year but I agree he's not the best, I wouldn't call him poor though. The rest of the defence is solid enough, Puyol really keeps it together and brings on everyone elses game too.
    Im purely talking Champions league here and not La Liga and in the end I think Barca' s defence will be shown up for what it is. If a team can contain Barca's attacking ability they are in serious trouble because they dont have the ability to defend well, they can only attack well. They will meet sides that will be well drilled in how to manage Barca's attacking threat and then their defence will be shown up.

I find it hard to believe there's a side in world football that can contain their attack tbh, it's that good. Neither Milan or Chelsea could and that was pre Messi, and Ronaldinho and Eto'o hve only gotten better since then. I think you under rate their defence
    Thats just my opinion of course but i dont think they will win the competiton this year.

The problem here is the CL is so much down to luck, as a knock out competition the best team rarely wins (summed up in spectacular fashion by checking who won last years tournament). Take how Barca went out last year, they were the better team imo and Ronaldinho was destroying Chelsea, Chelsea get a goal that should have been disallowed and they go from winning the tie to loseing it in a heartbeat and out. You can't say who's going to win it as anything can and usually does happen, but I'd say Barca are more likely to win it than any other side atm as their the most impressive side in Europe imo. That doesn't mean they'll win it though.

Barca can be stopped just requires 3 DMFs, pool and chelsea could nullify the the front 3 quite easily. Wouldnt say Milan as they like letting teams catchup after going 3 ahead.

But the really hard thing to stop with Barca is that they play a right footer on the left and left footer on the right. Thats just tactics both players can turn inside and if needed the full backs overlap for a by line cross. That would stretch the best teams, someone said Valdez is a good keeper, do you watch them hes the weak link in that team. The 3 DMFs they have can cover the defence but still its a weak defence and outscoring is the way will win games.

They are great to watch but great teams that constantly attack rarely win anything.

kdjhac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭Sandals

I hade this thread title, Barca are not on Tv tonight, In future could you write
    Barca on tv tonight (Sun)8pm?
    could you?

KdjaC wrote:
    They are great to watch but great teams that constantly attack rarely win anything.

kdjhac

On the contrary, the most successful team in world cup history (biggest international tournament) and most successful team in european cup/champions league history (biggest tournament in domestic football) are both sides with a tradition of constant all out attack football.

Chelsea could not nullify their front three last year and it's better now (No Messi then), why do you think they can suddenly do it now? Don't forget with competent refereing Barca would have knocked them out, and were the better side imo. Pool would be utterly mauled by them.

You can't just say play defencive and Barcas attack is nullified so you can score on their weak defence as it simply is not that easy.

Slash/ED wrote:
    You can't just say play defencive and Barcas attack is nullified so you can score on their weak defence as it simply is not that easy.

I totally agree with you that it will be no way easy to stop there attack but as Kdjac said if you play with defensive midfield players to stop the Barca midfield playing around and have a solid back 4 they can be stopped.

With a flat back 4 say Chelsea for instance the full backs dont get forward much so that would force Ronnie and Messi inside to Makele or Essien. Ronnie and Messi have certain zones they like to attack and nearly everytime they go there. Tactically they can be stopped but doing so is another story, in Spain (only spain) the defneces are terrible they give players way too much time on the ball. Its great to watch but you know if a team presses them they will give ground and concede chances.

In CL they only played 1 well organised and defensivly minded team in 2 years and lost to them. In Spain Valencia should have beat them only "special refereeing" allowed Barca to get a draw at home. They will murder anyone who tries to play but Pool and Chelsea dont try to play only to stop you playing then hit on counter attack and gradually build up pressure. Or they take that one chance you get in every CL game.

Depor are the only other defensivley minded team in Spain (3-3) in that and in CL so far they havent met one.

I do enjoy watching them but dont believe they are unbeatable in anyway just the way to beat them is not what i would call pretty attacking football.

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Slash/ED wrote:
    The problem here is the CL is so much down to luck, as a knock out competition the best team rarely wins (summed up in spectacular fashion by checking who won last years tournament). Take how Barca went out last year, they were the better team imo and Ronaldinho was destroying Chelsea, Chelsea get a goal that should have been disallowed and they go from winning the tie to loseing it in a heartbeat and out. You can't say who's going to win it as anything can and usually does happen, but I'd say Barca are more likely to win it than any other side atm as their the most impressive side in Europe imo. That doesn't mean they'll win it though.
    It would make a nice change for a fabulous attacking side to win a major tournament for a change, because the negativity of the winning sides in recent years is pretty depressing. I don't think a defensive fragile side (sorry Arsene!) will win it this year though, and that includes Barca. You can point to the Terry goal in the CL last year, but Barca got the rub of the green in the Nou Camp. Before Drogba was sent off for 2 yellows (neither were yellows as far as i'm concerned), Barca were 1-0 down and getting absolutely nowhere. I wanted Barca to win, but until Medusa was shown red, I thought Chelsea were going to run out 2 or 3 nil winners. Unfortunately these days it seems that it's a lot easier to defend than attack.

Advertisement