Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Bluetooth for internet

• 27-11-2005 4:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hey,
    Im getting a new phone so i was wondering is it possible to connect to the internet on a phone through bluetooth.. So basically

COMPUTER connected to internet with bluetooth adapter
    Connect to internet using this ^^^

So basically no charge of internet.. Is it possible? If so what phone is it possible on? And if not is there a way to syncronise your phone via bluetooth with outlook or some email client??

Thanks alot
    Neas

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

I'm not sure exactly what you mean but afaik...

You can connect phone to computer using bluetooth and use internet on phone without paying.
    You can connect computer to phone using bluetooth and use internet on computer but you pay.

I haven't tried the first yet, I've been meaning to but I don't really have a use for it. The second I've used as dial-up but not proper GPRS - pay by data used.

Can anyone post settings for the first. T'would be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Barrie

Yes you actually can.I used my ngage via M-router to do this.It does use your Pc's internet connection via bluetooth.What kinda of phone are you buying as only some Models are compatible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭beller b

A better way is the new Palm TX with built in WiFi its great. You would be amazed the places you can pick up free,unsecured , internet connections..
    btw tried it a few times using bluetooth to a PC. I never quite managed it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Neas wrote:
    Hey,
    Im getting a new phone so i was wondering is it possible to connect to the internet on a phone through bluetooth.. So basically

COMPUTER connected to internet with bluetooth adapter
    Connect to internet using this ^^^

So basically no charge of internet.. Is it possible? If so what phone is it possible on? And if not is there a way to syncronise your phone via bluetooth with outlook or some email client??

hi, can you run answer the questions in this stickied thread (in particular the bluetooth / phone make, model and version ones):
    HELLO THERE... About to ask how to get connected for Web/WAP/Email/MMS/Bluetooth etc.

some handsets would allow an bluetooh pass-though connection to be established, but it stopped working for later models (e.g. Series 60 handsert)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=283807

for PDAs some will work e.g. PocketPC using the active sync connection, or depending on the bluetooht software used (e.g. Widcomm) that may provide a Bluetooth Network connection a compatible and correctly set-up Pocket PC, Palm, Laptop etc.. can use that type of conneciton (using the PC's Internet Connection Sharing to the Bluetooh Network Port)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Neas

Well i want to get the Sony Ericsson p910i.. And thats probably going to be what i get..

The question i was asking was. Could your phone connect to pc via bluetooth and use your computers broadband connection to get free internet while your in bluetooth area??

And does that work on the SE p910i??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭flywheel

Neas wrote:
    The question i was asking was. Could your phone connect to pc via bluetooth and use your computers broadband connection to get free internet while your in bluetooth area??

that should have been answered in the linked theads, it depends... it used to with a bit of tweaking on the initial round of Symbian handses and a decent Bluetooth implementation... now for Symbian Smartphones it involves trying some open source stuff and being prepared to put a bit of effort in... MS Mobile Smartphones can use the pass-through connection built into ActiveSync...
    Neas wrote:
    And does that work on the SE p910i??

how about giving this a shot and let us know how it goes for you:
    http://gnubox.dnsalias.org/gnubox/

Advertisement