Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DSL 300T and DI-624+ Dropping connection

• 27-11-2005 5:28pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭

Hello, I don't know if this is the best place, feel free to move.

==========================================================
    I have a 2 meg connection (in the UK) with Freedom2surf, which currently appears to be running at 8 Meg (I live next door to the Exchange)

Anyway, that's not the problem. At the moment I have set the modem (DSL 300T) up as directed by the ISP.

PPPOA
    Encapsulation: VC
    VPI: 0
    VCI: 38

All the settings are right! The Router (DI 624+) is set in Dynamic IP mode..... it all works fine, at least for a bit of time.

The problem is that after an undetermined length the internet will die, and if I try to connect nothing will work until I reset the Modem and re-enter the ADSL account settings. When the internet "dies" I can't even connect to the Modem via Internet Explorer on 192.168.1.1 all I can connect to is the router, on 192.168.0.1

If I use any other settings (Like Bridge for example) I can't connect to the internet at all.

Does anyone have any ideas?

John

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

That could be ONE problem. Im not sure about your router or equipment your using but some equip dont like using the .0. subnet. Really depends on the makers firm\software.
    But given that it works most of the time maybe not. If you can connect to the router but NOT the modem when u loose internet connectivity its a sign the problem is the MODEM itself, not anything on your ISP's end.
    If you can maybe try using a different modem, if thats not an option maybe try updating your modems firmware. Firmware doesnt seem stable.
    your user account etc should b stored in NVRAM, only a reswt(not restart) should erase this.so I would go with the firmware update 1st. then look at maybe testing a new modem.
    The Router (DI 624+) is set in Static IP mode
    Just re read this. set the router up to recieve its IP dynamically from the modem.then the router can run as a DHCP server to your client PC's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Ballsack... I made a mistake! It's set to Dynamic IP.

John

My broken set-up makes baby jesus cry! By the way, It not the ISP, I know for sure as this happened in my old flat. Also Stephen (Who did networking in college had a play and couldn't figure it)!!

John

I said its not ur ISP, by any chance does the disconnect co inside with anything else phone calls going in or out?
    then I would suggest test out a new modem if possible, ur ISP can provide this or buy one yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭alantc

Upgrade your firmware. I had weird problem with a DLink Router that came suddenly and went away after upgrading the firmware.

• Advertisement

I've upgraded the firmware. Rattlehead, the disconnects don't come with any thing else. It just happens randomly.

John

updated firmware on ur MODEM now, not your router yeah?
    Well then in that case Id say ur modem is in trouble.
    Just try one more possible solution connect your client PC directly to modem and see if problem sorts itself out?

I've updated all the Firmware.

John

Below is the log from the last break-age, at least a log I got before it went went tits up completely!!!

========================================================

Sep 8 12:00:06> Valid Configuration Tree
    Sep 8 12:00:11> Firewall NAT service started
    Sep 8 12:00:11> Bridge Created: br0
    Sep 8 12:00:11> Bridge Interface Added: eth0
    Sep 8 12:00:15> DSL Carrier is down
    Sep 8 12:00:25> DSL Carrier is up
    Sep 8 12:00:25> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    Sep 8 12:00:25> Connect: ppp0 {--}
    Sep 8 12:01:09> set error: key=(null), value=no value, code=-1, message= :Bad value for key 'settings/modulation' in 'sar':
    Sep 8 12:01:09> set error: key=(null), value=no value, code=-1, message= :Bad value for key 'settings/modulation' in 'sar':
    Sep 8 12:01:11> set error: key=(null), value=no value, code=-1, message= :Bad value for key 'settings/modulation' in 'sar':
    Sep 8 12:01:11> set error: key=(null), value=no value, code=-1, message= :Bad value for key 'settings/modulation' in 'sar':
    Sep 8 12:01:25> DSL Carrier is training
    Sep 8 12:01:35> DSL Carrier is up
    Sep 8 12:01:36> Connection terminated.
    Sep 8 12:01:36> pppd 2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
    Sep 8 12:01:36> Connect: ppp0 {--}
    Sep 8 12:01:54> default route ioctl(SIOCADDRT): Network is unreachable(128)
    Sep 8 12:01:55> WAN IP address 83.67.219.136
    Sep 8 12:01:55> WAN gateway 83.67.242.127
    Sep 8 12:01:55> PPPoA Connect with IP Address 83.67.219.136
    Sep 8 12:01:55> primary DNS address 194.106.56.6
    Sep 8 12:01:55> PPPoA Connection Successfully Established
    Sep 8 12:01:55> PPPoA Connect with Gateway IP Address: 83.67.242.127
    Sep 8 12:01:55> secondary DNS address 194.106.33.42
    Sep 8 12:46:22> Got group error |Bad username/password|

========================================================

Means nothing to me.... but maybe some clever people out there will know!

John

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Why not try and borrow another modem? Or can you use your modem on another connection to see how it behaves there?

• Advertisement

I tried it on another connection in the last flat I lived. Same situation there!

I will buy another modem assuming this one is nackered, but I don't want to fork out if it's an easy problem. Most of the solutions provided here have only suggested trying on another connection or getting a new modem.... not exactly a solution! Anyway, I'm waiting to hear back on another forum!

John

its ur modem I can 99% guarentee it now.
    By looks of it, its not retaining the nvram if all of a sudden its not entering the right user name and password after working initially.
    Is the modem ur using the ISPs modem?
    If so they will replace it prob free of charge

No it's not. It's my own. I think I have it sorted from a different forum!

John

lump can u tell us what u did or what was advised as it would help others with same problem

Yea, I will once I finish doing it, and get it to work ;)

I'm in work at the moment.
    John

Advertisement