Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Covering in a roller door

Options
  • 27-11-2005 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭

I have a roller door in the garage at home, which is ajoining the study, problem is in this cold windy weather the wind blows in at the top of the door causing a huge draft and makes it very cold. There is about a 2 inch gap at the top so I was trying to think of some way of keeping the wind out. I was thinking of boxing in the top of the roller and puting some kind of thick brush against the door.

Just wondering if anyone had any other ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Rubber matting on the best usable surface is a cheap and very effective solution.

Not sure but have you changed your garage into a room and kept the roller door at the front?

If so how much that set you back and what way did you go about the roof?

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Thanks kdjac, no the garage is ajoined to the house, it was only built 2 years ago so it was part of the design, we have a small study off it, which appeared in the plans as store.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Irish 1, l had a similar problem with a roller door. I used a 50mm nylon brush strip against the roller.

Here's a link to a supplier
    http://www.exitex.ie/BrochurePage/Brochures/SillBrochure/index.htm

scroll down to page 28. I think they are available from hardware/building merchants.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Seal the internal doors with draught excluders. Make sure you have enough ventilation.

If the "store" only has access via the garage, you may be in a fire hazard situation.

Thanks, that looks like what I need, did you attach it directly to the wall opposite the top of the roller?

• Advertisement

No Victor there is another door in the "store" that leads to a small hall which has the back door in it, and there is a fire door between the garage and the "store". I really want to eliminate as much cold air and wind as I can from the garage as the Garage has our chest freezer in it. It's not really a garage in the normal sense, it's plastered and painted and has skirting etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Irish1,
    attached it to a timber baton on the wall, above the opening so it's not exposed to the weather.

Advertisement