Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bf2

Options
  • 27-11-2005 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭

got BF2 the other day... and it runs horrendously

i've got athlon 64 (3200+), 1gig ram, ati radeon xpress 200 (256mb, the one that runs with the athlon)

this comp runs hl2: lost coast like a dream, but for some reason bf2 is incredibly laggy in SP or MP

any ideas on a fix?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭DirtyDog

Laggy all through the game or only at the beginning when its loading? I had it at the start and only way to fix it was get another gig of ram...runs smooth as silk now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭jonnybadd

I know it may seem like a silly question but did you patch up? The 1.0 and 1.01 were very buggy.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

jonnybadd wrote:
    I know it may seem like a silly question but did you patch up? The 1.0 and 1.01 were very buggy.

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I've havent played bf2 in a while and I was wondering if patch 1.03 is still the most up to date?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

DirtyDog wrote:
    Laggy all through the game or only at the beginning when its loading? I had it at the start and only way to fix it was get another gig of ram...runs smooth as silk now :D

all the time...
    jonnybadd wrote:

i only bought it yesterday... should it not have downloaded the patch itself (though it IS ea, can't expect them to think of such ingenious idea's)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭Malafus

Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but I've havent played bf2 in a while and I was wondering if patch 1.03 is still the most up to date?

V1.12 - and yes, you must "manually" apply the patch. Such effort you have to put in.... :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Running on 800*600 and everything on Medium with AA off it should be fine on your pc.

1gb or ram is fine for any game but the x200 has a low gpu speed so make sure AA is off. Do the usual degrag chkdsk and latest drivers.

install Fraps and put above settings on and see how it fares, up it until you have a stable 30fps.

kdjac

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

well it is rather stupid, how many years ago since strategy games started updating themselves? (tho granted most of them connect onto an online lobby system and don't require dedicated boxes for servers...but still auto update would be nice)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

that cards better than my geforce 6600GT - which means id probably have to run it at crappy 800x600 too :(

it's not the gpu at all. when the game first loaded everything was set to low at 800x600 and it ran bloody horribly

i'll download the patch off EA's site now and report back

ok patched up and running everything at medium settings (at 1024x768)

still runs at a dodgy 30fps (not steady at all, dips and rises all the time)...

still can't figure it out. with everything turned down it looks a bit manky. it's up against HL2DM (and all the mod joys it brings) and CSS (also, with mod joyousness)

arg!

• Advertisement

sorry for offtopicness but what CS:s mods?

Placebo wrote:
    sorry for offtopicness but what CS:s mods?
    when i say "mods" i just mean paintball :D

Did you try and start low and work your way up to higher settings, the biggie is textures and Lighting start with them on low and work up to a reasonable FPS.

Also the Bf2 files huge so defrag etc:

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

YOu need at least 1GB RAM. I have 1.25GB on laptop and it runs smooth and loads quickly. AT 512MB before upgrade, ran horrendously.

Regarding graphics, start off (after you have over 1GB RAM) with the lowest settings and than start moving up from there. Avodi the dynamic lighting and shadows.

I have x600 on a laptop and it runs totally smoothly, but it's somewhere between Low and Medium settings at 1440x900 (widescreen).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Placebo wrote:
    that cards better than my geforce 6600GT - which means id probably have to run it at crappy 800x600 too :(

runs grand @ 1024x768

YOu need at least 1GB RAM. I have 1.25GB on laptop and it runs smooth and loads quickly. AT 512MB before upgrade, ran horrendously.

Regarding graphics, start off (after you have over 1GB RAM) with the lowest settings and than start moving up from there. Avodi the dynamic lighting and shadows.

I have x600 on a laptop and it runs totally smoothly, but it's somewhere between Low and Medium settings at 1440x900 (widescreen).

did this and it's running smooth as a baby's arse now...

took a while to work out the graphics issue but basically, like you said, the dynamic lighting/shadowing hits the GPU hard, hence slowdown

played it for a few hours online having loads of fun. getting owned for the most part, but being owned in a helicopter is great :D

lol

everyone's advice was well required, especially since there doesn't seem to be much help on other sites. so some poor sod may come accross this via google some day and thank the stars

what did u put shadow and lighting on ? low ?

i just got it today in pc world for 40, its SEX

Battlefield 2 v1.12 (280MB) = latest patch i taKe it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

I got BF2 yesterday and installed the 280mb patch, which broke my internet explorer, Just stopped working after I installed the patch!!! I played a little single player before I installed the patch and it was amazing. Has anyone ever played Americas Army, very like that but just better all around. Can anyone tell me why the sniper rifle doesn't have any shake or breathing effects on it. Its as solid as a rock. Is it all ways like this or only before the patch is installed???

• Registered Users Posts: 13,986 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Sniper rifle doesnt shake but the accuracy goes over distance

• Advertisement

And now i start campaigning to get that changed, that's an awful idea. I know they're not going for a shooting sim but that's a joke those rifles would not lose accuracy over distance, the only thing that would effect a rifle of that quality is the person shooting it. They'd be quite accurate up to about a 1000m. Yup going to ask them to change that in the next patch and put in the sway factor which is more realistic

Also what is the latest patch for the game. There is that 1.02 but what is the 1.12 patch for plz help as I really want to get the game going maybe tonight!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Vegeta wrote:
    Also what is the latest patch for the game. There is that 1.02 but what is the 1.12 patch for plz help as I really want to get the game going maybe tonight!!!

the newest if 1.12 which was released to support SF. If you have special forces install special forces and then the patch. If not after the install will have to reinstall patch after SF install

Ok I'm a little slow and there seems to be so many patches for this game. I went on the EA forums for Battlefield and just got even more confused.

1. If I buy just BF2 and not the special forces expansion what patch do I need to make it the most up to date version.

2. if i buy the special forces expansion and install patch 1.12 do I need any other patches???

Soryy for all the questions but I'm an uber newb when it comes to battlefield and the forums and website are terrible for spelling it out clearly

Just get the 1.12 patch its inclusive, if you get SF you will still need 1.12 to play online.

kdjac

Cheers mate I just purchased BF2 there a few mins ago, its a lot of fun to play not as involving as Americas Army but good show all the same, oooh I'm going to enjoy this. This is the kinda game that makes me feel like calling in sick to work tomorrow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Vegeta wrote:
    Cheers mate I just purchased BF2 there a few mins ago, its a lot of fun to play not as involving as Americas Army but good show all the same, oooh I'm going to enjoy this. This is the kinda game that makes me feel like calling in sick to work tomorrow!!

Dont mention that or I will have a bout of the runs and out of the office:D

just a little update... i patched a while ago and was running everything on low (minus dynamic features) and it ran well, and was fun.. even though it looked ****. but i went exploring other bits and pieces of the game, and noticed i had to run the game through the patch :o

now i can turn everything up and it runs like a dream (except when the **** gets hot ;))
    have everything turned on medium with dynamic lights/effects off so when i get bombarded with artillery/chopper fire/planes/guns i don't get mad slowdown

i think its gey they way they have only a few Single player maps, there must be a way to download online ones or getting them from a cache to play SP.
    I know bh2 is an online game but i must practice [alone ;) )

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Sorry but I don't think there are any custom SP maps due to the effort it would take to code the AI properly.

Advertisement