Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postman plod problem

Options
  • 27-11-2005 8:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Sometimes the postman leaves a docket to tell me to collect a parcel at the local depot, this happens without him even ringing the bell (I'm sitting there watching it come through the letterbox)
    Not a particularly large packet, just too big to fit through the letterbox.
    Is this common practice or could he just not be arsed to take it on his round?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

This was happening to me too so i queried it at the office when I picked it up. the man told me that the postman should have delivered that one that I was picking up as it was a letter parcel or something. Anyway after I complained my postage went very hay wire and erratic......hmmm, very suss. I don't think I will be complaining again.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

dont get me started on them lads and lassies,with the op issue we had loads of similar letter packages delivered correctly(wife is an ebayer) and like that only the v large or regestered we had to collect,no one home most days,but the day i was home the doorbell was rang etc all good and above board

But in essence to complaining ,slightly off topic, about an post I had no option to do it some time back.

I live in a relatively new estate in tallaght and there a few more newer ones around me but we were getting mail for another house of the same number up the street with a totally different address.as it a new estate i thought ah well it happens but over 20 times was getting a little too much. also we were getting mail for knocklyon,saggart,rathmines and even got two credit cards in the post(my wife works in a bank thats how we knew) so i rang and was told to write to them and i did

eventually got some where with them they said new postman,new route not enough postmen etc but suffice to say it has stopped and my own post is grand(wish the bills could get delivered somewhere else but thats dreaming) and only the odd one ie 1 in 6 months comes in now so my complaint has obviously got somewhere so keep comlaining until u get satification tampering with the post is against the law so if ur having probs complain they have to take it serious

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I know for a fact that our postman never rings the bell - just leaves one of those notes, as my missus is a stay-at-home mum at the moment.

It's really annoying, having to go to the post office and queue up for your post, simply because he can't be bothered to wait for someone to come down in the lift.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Tazz T wrote:
    I know for a fact that our postman never rings the bell - just leaves one of those notes, as my missus is a stay-at-home mum at the moment.

It's really annoying, having to go to the post office and queue up for your post, simply because he can't be bothered to wait for someone to come down in the lift.

It's possibly becasue the postman can't be bothered to lug the package around with him all day on the off chance that someone is in. The said package is probably never even taken out on the round to be honest to save 'effort'.

Anyhow we all know The Postman Always Knocks Twice :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Bluetonic wrote:
    It's possibly becasue the postman can't be bothered to lug the package around with him all day on the off chance that someone is in. The said package is probably never even taken out on the round to be honest to save 'effort'.

Anyhow we all know The Postman Always Knocks Twice :rolleyes:

This is what I'm thinking also. When someone pays postage on an item, are they not paying to have it delivered to the recipients door? or because it won't fit through the letterbox are An post only liable to get it to the nearest depot?
    I can't find any info about this on anpost.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Sometimes the postman leaves a docket to tell me to collect a parcel at the local depot, this happens without him even ringing the bell (I'm sitting there watching it come through the letterbox)
    Have you tried opening the door and asking him straight away?

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭lostinsuperfunk

Off topic, but has anyone had a similar experience with the ESB meter readers? I've been at home when the "sorry, our meter reader missed you today" card has dropped through the letterbox without any warning. I don't mind dialling in the reading, but what's the point in having so-called meter readers if all they do is post cards through letterboxes?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,104 ✭✭✭✭muffler

RainyDay wrote:
    Have you tried opening the door and asking him straight away?
    Its probably too much bother :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

I had this going on for a while. I actually saw the docket fall through the letterbox one day and went after the guy.

Basically, how it works is that larger packets are usually supposed to be delivered by a different postman. Rather than delivering them himself, he sometimes sticks the dockets into the regular mail. When you complain to the sorting office, they will make up a lot of stupid stories, (you were out; he came by very early and didn't want to ring the bell; whatever). You have to bring pressure to bear. Ask for the name of every person you talk to. Call the An Post phone number and complain. Ask for a refund of half your money (half the cost of a letter is the delivery from the sorting office to your house). You'll never get it, but it makes them think you're serious.

It depends who your postman is really, but you shouldn't accept it. I have been able to get a big improvement in service (Dublin 2) as a result of some complaints I made about two years ago.

On ESB meter readers, I think it's time pressure that messes them up. From the consumer's point of view, there's no real point in the ESB employing extra people to do meter reading more often.

Advertisement