Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Angelfish - locking jaws

Options
  • 27-11-2005 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just added another Angelfish to my tank. It was in my boyfriend's tank and was getting beaten pretty bad by something in his tank.

Just added it to my tank which already has an angel. They are locking jaws and the parrot fish is getting aggressive with it too.

I have read on the internet that this locking jaws thing is a girl-boy thing. Could also be terretorial and if both males that the stronger one will win (death to my boyfriend's fish).

Wondering if anyone out there has any experience with Angelfish.
    It looks to me that the new one is female (swollen abdomen). My angel has a different shaped stomach.

[edit]
    seems to have calmed down now

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

Hi Buddy

I had a 4/12 inch angel (male) who had the tank To himself , then I added another 4/12 angel ( turned out to be female,) but there Was all out war, between the Angels epecially the male As the new Angel was invading his pad, this Went on for about 2 Weeks, I tryed everything to seperate them leaving the lights off etc, still happened , but eventually the pecking order was Set And he left her Alone , until they started to mate , And did so once a week almost, and From what I have Seen there is Nothing in particular about the female like swollen abdomen or Anything that Would make a differecne Angels Are hard to Sex .. but when mating you can really see the Difference

Give them time to Settle And See ina Few days how things Are,,

rob

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hi,

They are swimming around together now and the Parrot fish has stopped pestering the new angel.

" but when mating you can really see the Difference"

I hate to be gross .. but how do you mean?? Yes, I want the oggy details, so I know what to look out for. PM me if it is explicit .. don't want to get you banned :rolleyes:

Bubby

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭dark_jedi_ire

haha ok will try keep easy so no banning or anthing haha

when Angels spawn, you can see a tube about the shape of a dull pencil lead that protrudes from the female Angel just under her belly. The tube that protrudes from the male Angel is smaller in diameter, when comparing the two and watching the female angel layin eggs you will know what I mean., at first it look a bit gross but its all natural.. its the only real way of telling them apart

And who says size dosnt matter ? :)

Rob

Advertisement