Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatics and a test

Options
  • 27-11-2005 11:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭

Is there a requirement to do a seperate test, what about insurance, expect an increase?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Do you mean Driving test or Nct?

If you do your driving test the route and questions ect would be the same but you'l only be issued with a full licence to drive automatics.

If its the Nct theres no difference.

As for insurance anyone i know with an automatic are out of the 18 - 25 age group and there insurance is cheap anyways,im unaware of any loadings just because the cars automatic tho

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Is there a requirement to do a seperate test, what about insurance, expect an increase?

There is no seperate drving test for automatics but take note of this:
    • Pass your driving test in an automatic and your licence only allows you to drive automatics.
    • Pass your driving test in a manual and your licence allows you to drive both manuals and automatics.
    Not sure about the insurance though but would assume it is another excuse by them to hike the premium up.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    Not sure about the insurance though but would assume it is another excuse by them to hike the premium up.

Interesting point. I don't recollect ever having been asked if my license was for automatics only when applying for insurance, so I presume it makes no difference to the premium having a license to drive automatics only

Next thing would be the statistics about insurance claims involving automatics and their manual equivalents. Somehow I would have thought that typically automatics are safer? Anybody within the insurance industry, or anyone with access to actuarial databases have any comment? :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

bazz26 wrote:
    There is no seperate drving test for automatics but take note of this:
    • Pass your driving test in an automatic and your licence only allows you to drive automatics.
    • Pass your driving test in a manual and your licence allows you to drive both manuals and automatics.

What about semi-automatics? In my car I have to change gear manually, but don't have to use a clutch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Smart ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    Interesting point. I don't recollect ever having been asked if my license was for automatics only when applying for insurance, so I presume it makes no difference to the premium having a license to drive automatics only

Interesting but I know that when I moved around insurance companies some took a photcopy of my license.

It would be interesting to see what the insurance companies would do if somebody with an "automatic only" full license insured on a manual made a major claim (i.e. write off). Technically, would this be the same as not telling your insurance company that you had an accident within the last 3 years or so and hence making your policy void?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    It would be interesting to see what the insurance companies would do if somebody with an "automatic only" full license insured on a manual made a major claim (i.e. write off). Technically, would this be the same as not telling your insurance company that you had an accident within the last 3 years or so and hence making your policy void?

Yep. It's probably in the tiny small print of the policy somewhere. For sure they won't pay a cent in those circumstances...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

It's called "reasonable disclosure". You have to tell the company all the relevant facts, otherwise it's your problem. The example always used is if you don't tell them you have a thatched roof when getting house insurance.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What about semi-automatics? In my car I have to change gear manually, but don't have to use a clutch.
    It isn't a fully auto so would presumably be classified as manual. I presume also that there is nothing about this in our legislation though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

I have a licence application form here and it doesn't mention automatics !

As far as insurance go it probably depends on the company and their form ! My last one did ask if it was auto ! I reckon the insurance company would decide onb the whole manual/auto/semi auto etc based upon what the actual transmission is i.e an automatically switched manual is still a manual !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Auto isn't on the licence application form because an auto car (or bike, or bus, or truck...) is still the same class of vehicle as a manual one. The difference comes when you do the test.

If you do the test in an auto and pass, your licence will be endorsed and you will only be licensed to drive an auto. Not sure if you can keep your provisional for driving a manual?? but this would make sense as you could take the test at a later date in a manual and pass.

Afaik semi-autos are treated the same as full autos, because the examiner has no opportunity to test you on clutch control.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Mmmmm ........I see.

Makes sense !

Advertisement