Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't display .avi files

Options
  • 28-11-2005 1:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭

Apologies if this is the wrong forum, please let it be moved if needs be.

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a Dell Inspiron 9300 with a 256Mb GeForce card, and when ever I load up an .avi file in Windows Media Player I can hear the audio but no picture is displayed and the screen just shows a moving pattern. I've tried dropping the resolution all the way down from 1920x1200 to 800x600 but it makes no difference. DVDs play fine.

Anyone have any ideas what's going on here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

You're missing a codec, chances are its probably DivX. Download, install, and try playing it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Is it _all_ .avi? Where did you get the .avi?
    Chances are it's DivX or something - in which case, your computer is missing the necessary CODEC..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Look up vlc player on google and download it, just use that to play almost everything, except .movs and rmvbs. no need for any codecs whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,516 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Download the K-Lite Codec Pack. It contains all the main codecs for movie file playback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭betelgeuse

Thanks guys. I installed DivX and everything's now working perfectly :)

On a similar matter, I'm finding that small images and graphics on web pages display very fuzzy and jagged on this computer. I'm using IE6 (for now). Any ideas what the problem here could be?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭Wolverine_1999

betelgeuse wrote:
    Thanks guys. I installed DivX and everything's now working perfectly :)

On a similar matter, I'm finding that small images and graphics on web pages display very fuzzy and jagged on this computer. I'm using IE6 (for now). Any ideas what the problem here could be?

You are probably not running the monitors/tft natural resolution (Maximum resolution if a TFT).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Dane

Look up vlc player on google and download it, just use that to play almost everything, except .movs and rmvbs. no need for any codecs whatsoever.

That's what I have been using for years :D
    Link is here http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Advertisement