Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roof garden both DIY and gardening

Options
  • 28-11-2005 10:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a garage with a flat concrete roof and a small garden. The garage roof currently leaks so I was planning to put bitumen on it but I was also planning to then put planting beds on top as it is wasted space.
    THe problems I see are
    1) Is it good or bad for the bitmun to be covered with soil? I heard two accounts one say it will rot and others saying it will be protected by the soil. Is there a better thing to use?
    2) What kind of plants are best for not deep soil? I am primarily thinking veg,herbs and fruit but flowers are fine
    3) It is also dark there so will anything do well

The main reason is to be a bit more eco friendly and actually have a place to get rid of my compost

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

can the roof take the extra weight though?

soggy compost can be quite heavy, is the roof intended to be accessed like a balcony? if so you should be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭MorningStar

JohnBoy wrote:
    can the roof take the extra weight though?

soggy compost can be quite heavy, is the roof intended to be accessed like a balcony? if so you should be ok

Concrete roof should be able to do the trick but I guess I should also do some checking to be 100% but I doubt there is a problem. It originally is just a roof obviously done using suttering so I think it is reinforced too. THe only reason it leaks is becasue of the join at the houe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭rooferPete

Hi MorningStar,

A lot more to it than a standard waterproofing when using a garden finish, you will need a product that has properties the roots can't break through.

Doesn't have to be the most expensive but not a project the average roofer if you want a roof that will last ;)

Advertisement