Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Patchy Grass in back garden

Options
  • 28-11-2005 10:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭

I cut the grass over the weekend as it was quite long and I couldnt see the dog sh*t. Anyway the grass has bald patches through the lawn that would seem to be developing. The lawn gets a good bit of sunshine but also alot of rain, the ground is constantly muddy and sticky.

My question is, is there anyway to treat this or prevent it from happening further? What would be my best course of action considering its winter?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

Sounds like you have a drainage problem. Too much rainwater

Spike the ground with a pitchfork to try to improve the drainage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks! Is this my best/only course of action? I suppose there is no point putting seeds down till February or so is there?

I'am no expert but Grass seed is best sown in Spring/Summer. Sort out the drainage problem first

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Spike the ground with a pitchfork to try to improve the drainage

I had much the same problem when I moved into my new house last june.
    do the above first, in march, use weedkiller (if you have a lot of weeds)
    be sure to buy a weedkiller that doesn't kill your grass.
    rake up the weeds after they die.
    Next fertilise the lawn (weeds don't like fertiliser btw) and then spread the grass seed (water it after a day if there has been no rain)
    you'll have a lovely lawn after that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭joejoem

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,388 ✭✭✭Kernel

Dog piss can result in dead or bare patches in your lawn too. ;)

Advertisement