Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF2 and Clearwire

Options
  • 28-11-2005 11:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Hi,

I bought BF2 last week after finally getting broadband. The install went smooth and Single player flies along without problems.
    I have heard that the menus take ages when it comes to logging to account server, it does take ages but I get on OK.

When ever I connect to a server, I get into the game and then, when selecting my class I get 'There is a problem with you connection' and it will not go away. My ping goes mad, up past a 1000. When you view the server before you connect the ping is grand, 150 or so.

I have patched it, ininstalled it,reinstalled it, turned off VOIP, set speed to adsl and lan but nothing helps.

My connection is steady and I can jump into a game of Day of Defeat Source and get sub 40ms ping's consistantly. Go back to BF2 and I get this.

My connection is the 2MB service from clearwire, wireless modem.
    After doing some google searches I heard it mentioned that BF2 does not like wireless routers at all. Im not using a router, as such but I wonder if there is a problem with the wireless connection, it shows as a 10MB connection when monitoring Networking in Device Manager. DOes BF think I have a 10MB connection and hence the crazy ping?

I also heard that ports could be blocked my ISP, not sure what the story is with that yet!

Anyone got any ideas? Wanting to play this for ages

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

The 10MB is most likely the speed between the wifi modem and your PC and not your Internet connection.

I heard about the ports being closed by ISP's also but this would probably lead to not being able to play the game rather than high pings.

Could you please download and test either "All Seeing Eye" or "BF2 Autoloader". These programs will give you a ping of a BF2 server outside of BF2 and can often be much different from the pings reported by the game.

Does your modem have an Ethernet socket that you could test?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 ***Truss Rod***

Thanks Ponster, I will try suggested as soon as I get home.

the 10mb thing makes sense, was just clutching at straws!

Does anyone else use wireless with BF?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Thanks Ponster, I will try suggested as soon as I get home.

the 10mb thing makes sense, was just clutching at straws!

Does anyone else use wireless with BF?

Mate of mine is having the same problem...he has clearwire(well I think thats what he said) out in Rathoat and says he gets to connect to server....goes to pick spawn and get "There is a problem with your connection" and gets kicked to desktop!

I have Metro at the moment and then connected into a wireless router to transfer around the house!! no probs at all so its not the wireless things!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

I'm on IBB and connect thru a wireless router. No probs at all and sometimes get pings as low as 10 on TiG server.

Mate of mine is having the same problem...he has clearwire(well I think thats what he said) out in Rathoat and says he gets to connect to server....goes to pick spawn and get "There is a problem with your connection" and gets kicked to desktop!

Thats exactly it. Smells fishy.

So along with P2P,VOIP,Steaming Audio you may not be able to play certian games with Clearwire?!

If you have a wireless connection and thats OK then i should be able to get on??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

IBB myself, but i remember having the exact same problem with BF1942 when i had the chorus connection, every other game worked fine except for BF, pings went mad. Wish i could be more help.

Thats exactly it. Smells fishy.

So along with P2P,VOIP,Steaming Audio you may not be able to play certian games with Clearwire?!

If you have a wireless connection and thats OK then i should be able to get on??

At the moment he is not online so cant confirm but he was asking me on Friday about it and I am sure he said clearwire.....drink fueled weekend so not 100% this morning!!

Yeah I have wireless and Metro is wireless as well.....wireless network in house connected to router and then router connected to wireless transmitter on house...so everything wireless more or less and I have no probs at all...actually moved from UTV to Metro because UTV is sh*t and I was having the same probs as dscribed above with UTV......people on here have heard me crying about it for months:D happy now guys!! :D

God its so frustrating :(
    Ive been gagging to play BF2 since it came out and now this. The whole weekend pretty much gone on it with no progress!

I was going to call clearwire and give them the list of ports BF uses but there seems to be a wall of denial coming through from them about what they are /are not blocking, thats the inpression from reading the BB threads.

Looks like a €50 Euro drink coaster then!
    Anyone want to buy a BF2 DVD?!

Looks like a €50 Euro drink coaster then!
    Anyone want to buy a BF2 DVD?!

Fiver

4 Sheckels and its a deal

• Advertisement

You can just open up a DOS window and ping the server you are trying to connect to to see what the results are like. If it works fine then you can TELENT the same server on the proper ports to see if it gets trhough or not.

It seems strange to me though that an ISP would close certain ports, unless they are associated with P2P.

Pontser - thanks, At least I got something to try later!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

Ponster wrote:
    It seems strange to me though that an ISP would close certain ports, unless they are associated with P2P.

I agree.

Have you tried just connecting directly to the router
    with cable and see what happens then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Just a guess here but on the Options screen have you selected the correct Internet Connection ie not T1 lan ?

kdjac

Just a guess here but on the Options screen have you selected the correct Internet Connection ie not T1 lan ?

Yeah, I tired both ways and the same.

I have tried to change my NIC from autodetect to 10Mbps/Full.
    All is working fine still with PC connection wise. BF2 now logs me in in about 30sec's as opposed to the 2-3 mins it was taking before.
    I go into game and get the same message though!

Its a wireless modem connected to my NIC via RJ45. No Routers involved!

Keep digging....

Not that it'll make any difference but don't you have 100Mbps/full ?

I had to reconfigure 90 NIC's last week due to them all being on auto (and not working all that well).

So you have a network cable running from your modem to your PC? The only 'wireless' thingy in your setup is that the modem could be used as a wifi modem (either as a router or bridge) but you have chosen not to?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Semper Fi

Thought I'd mention this anyway... I used to get some mad ping stuff happening, with the end result being "There is a problem with your connection"

I Downloaded the PB updater. Have a short cut on my desk top. Run it before I have a game of BF. Cleared up my mad ping and losing connections malarkey!

Good one Semper Fi, I forgot about PB !

http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php

No, my set up is bog simple, Wireless Modem-NW cable-NIC. Thats it.

Am going to start experimenting with more adventerous set ups once I have enough time and wallet power and set up settles down a bit!

Had to go out last night so could not try many things.
    The NIC speed seems to have made no differnce anyway, its gone back to taking a few mins to log onto account server.
    It was just a thought as there are a bunch of applications here in work that go flakey of the NIC is on auto detect. I have set ot back to Auto now.

Punkbuster was one of the first things I looked into, as far as I can tell it is up to date speciffically for BF2. I had trouble with PB with Americas Army also and ended up having to manually update it. It worked in the end.I will investigate that route a bit further tonite.

I am using a spare hard disk for this troubleshooting. I have a clean image of XP SP2 with nothing else running in the backround, I have even turned of the XP firewall.
    HL2 and DODs are installed also just to keep tabs on the general NW preformance which seems fairly consistant at 30-40ms pings to jolt in game.

Twraled the BF2 forums but I could not fing anything specifically like my problem, seems to be a lot of folk getting booted randomly and ping problems but these seem to be after the user is in the game.

I did not have time to get into it last night so Im going to batter into it later. I MUST find out what the problem is after spending this much time on it!!

PS - Thanks of all you ideas so far!

Well Ive gotton on in the end but not sure how!

I reimaged my hard disk with a basic XP SP2 image, installed game, patched to the new patch. Dowloaded and checked Punk Buster was up to date for BF2. Installed and updated gamespy and went in through gamespy and it connected and worked first time.
    I have done each of these things already so why its all ok now im not sure.

Anyhow, Enjoying it a lot.

thanks

• Advertisement

Well Ive gotton on in the end but not sure how!

I reimaged my hard disk with a basic XP SP2 image, installed game, patched to the new patch. Dowloaded and checked Punk Buster was up to date for BF2. Installed and updated gamespy and went in through gamespy and it connected and worked first time.
    I have done each of these things already so why its all ok now im not sure.

Anyhow, Enjoying it a lot.

thanks

Wouldnt be a window problem if other games work so I would say your ISP has changed there setup!!

Wouldnt be a window problem if other games work so I would say your ISP has changed there setup!!

will keep an eye for any funny behaviour!

Advertisement