Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Racist Italian Supporters

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

You gotta love the mentality of the Inter fans. They racially abuse opposition players, yet they have black players playing fopr them. Do they think they're own players are going to sid ewith them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Italian FA will do nothing....used to support Lazio till I heard about there fans....no black player wants to join them because they are so bad!!! its a terrible thing but the Italian FA have let them off for years so nothing is going to happen!! same with Spanish footie!!! its a joke!! then they give UK fans such a bad name!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Offending clubs should be forced to ban those supporters or risk playing behind closed doors untill it stops, wont happen though.

Davei141 wrote:
    Offending clubs should be forced to ban those supporters or risk playing behind closed doors untill it stops, wont happen though.

Not in Italy or Spain anyway!!! or actually alot of the Eastern European countries are the same!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Davei141 wrote:
    Inter already have been playing behind closed doors in the CL but I think that ban is nearly up.
    Italy needs a complete overhaul in terms of conduct.

• Advertisement

p.pete wrote:
    Inter already have been playing behind closed doors in the CL but I think that ban is nearly up.
    Italy needs a complete overhaul in terms of conduct.

That wasnt because of racist supporter that was because they nearly took the head off the AC goalie last season in the CL quarter finals!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

disgraceful and the italian fa really need to get their act together on this but sadly i dont think they will

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah this an absolute joke. The Italian FA are notorious for doing nothing and I would say they will do nothing about this again. To reduce a player to tears for abusing so much is just disgraceful and UEFA should step in and do something about this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I really, really dont understand racism.

Big Nelly wrote:
    That wasnt because of racist supporter that was because they nearly took the head off the AC goalie last season in the CL quarter finals!!!
    Yup, I was refering to their conduct in general though ;)

• Advertisement

Heard on SSN that all italian games on the weekend will be delayed 5 minutes because of a protest by the players against racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

I have to say well done to such a young player in making a stand and refusing to play on as a sign of protest - a true ambassador of the game. Remember when the black players in the England squad saying they felt like walking off the pitch when they played Spain, but they didn't. Saying is one thing, doing is another. Also, why should it have to be those being abused that have to make a stand? Why couldn't the Spanish team walk off in protest and show some solidarity? Everyone involved in the game says all the right things when it comes to condemning racism but never back it up with concrete action when it actually occurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,915 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Tbh, they need the likes of the Sun and the Star in Italy and Spain to appeal to the lowest common denominator and make huge deals out of the likes of this.

As bad as those papers are, no team in england, and the FA can get away with any sort of bad behaviour. The italians/spanish and turks seem to be able to get away with murder (literally), and nothing happen to them sanction wise (mostly because they (italian and spanish) are the biggest federations).

Liverpool fans got EVERY british team banned for 5 years. Ferdinand and Mutu get 9/7 month bans. Xavier gets a 15(?) month ban.

Drugs seems to be rife in the italian leagues, with players refusing to take (admittedly voluntary) tests, players being filmed with intravenous drips, half the dutch players getting caught in Italy and getting 3(?) month bans. Fans can be as racist as they like, in Madrid they have the Ultra Surs with a large amount of influence on Real Madrid, and in the one time they might do something after the England game, Uefa/Fifa did nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Football on the continent is light years behind England when it comes to off-field activity. Real fans booed Samuel Etoo last week despite clapping Ronaldinho's 2nd goal. Racism is rife on the continent, football hooliganism is more of a problem (pitched battles on the terrace at Juve-Roma last week, Boro fan stabbed to death in Holland) than in England.

Players taking a stand alone will not be enough, clubs need to get serious about the problem. Racist chanting in England will rightly get you a stadium ban, that should be the case in Spain and Italy. Try chanting sectarian chants at Celtic!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,963 ✭✭✭SpAcEd OuT

drugs arent rife in Italian leagues what are you basing that assumption on?

At the time of filming the substance the players were taking with intravenous drips was legal and players were perfectly entitled to use it.

There has been 2 cases of players being caught with illegal drugs in their system in italy this year,there has also been one in england so how is italy rife with drugs?

Some Juventus players were caught using semi-legal (grey area) substances 10 years ago but apart from that their hasnt been any major cases.

Football on the continent is light years behind England when it comes to off-field activity. Real fans booed Samuel Etoo last week despite clapping Ronaldinho's 2nd goal.
    Not to defend them but they're motive was most likely different given Eto'o used to belong to Madrid and was scoring against them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

p.pete wrote:
    Not to defend them but they're motive was most likely different given Eto'o used to belong to Madrid and was scoring against them.

I hear ya, but Sky Sports reporter who was at the game said it was racist chanting and booing all through the game.

I've said and sung some nasty things towards Sol Campbell, but never even considered bringing his race into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,032 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Hey Nunu - from my reading of that article I don't think the player actually walked off in the end, he was going to but instead decided to play on in defiance. Fair play to Adriano for going over to him, its rare these days to see 'sportsmen' remember that life is more important than football.

Racism seems to be a major issue all across the continent. Was it Macedonia a couple of years ago where the majority of the crowd were coming out with monkey chants for Heskey and Cole? I couldn't believe the sheer scale of it that night and yet they came out with the usual 'few bad apples spoiling the bunch' boll*x. Its clear that in Eastern Europe, Italy, and Spain there is an inherent, and widespread racism problem.

I'm all for drastic measures and huge penalties to deal with this issue as it is bringing shame on the game and these men should never have to deal with this abuse. Racism is a crime, and anyone identified in partaking in it should be locked up. Thing is, I don't see much happening about it. If all the world powers were clean in this regard, and it was the minnows that were guilty of it we would see big action.

As it is, two of the biggest footballing nations on the planet are the main perpetrators and so its not realistic to expect much action against them.

Oh yeah, I know. He initially refused to play on which obviously highlighted the problem. In fact the end result was probably the best thing that could have happened. He made his point and then when he was persuaded to play on returned to a heroes welcome from his supporters recognising the stance he took. Also, the game wasn't affected and he still got maximum effect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

It's not just the Italians!

I watch Spanish football every weekend with a bunch of very nice Spanish blokes.

They often call the black guys monkeys and don't see anything wrong with it.

It's mental. They have a totally different attitude to racism.

• Advertisement

You mean they ARE racist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Davei141 wrote:
    You mean they ARE racist.

The thing is though, they'd have no problem having black friends or whatever.

It's weird.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Player shouldnt walk off the pitch just stand by the sideline and refuse to take the ball.

The stadiums in Italy if you ever notice usually have the Ultras boxed in by police, noone in their right mind is going to go in and say" ahh stop it thats not nice" .

It wont change until Italy has a black player and i honestly cant think of one ever playing for them, anyone know of any?

Same as here i suppose it used to be sicking the **** Mc grath got when he played for Pats. But when he went to Man Utd the same fans cheered him for ireland (in them days LOI fans were the national teams fans). Anyone ever hear a black player being abused whilst playing against ireland in Lansdowne?

Sad but that seems to curtail it somewhat it. Would imagine its the same in England and France.

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    Player shouldnt walk off the pitch just stand by the sideline and refuse to take the ball.

The stadiums in Italy if you ever notice usually have the Ultras boxed in by police, noone in their right mind is going to go in and say" ahh stop it thats not nice" .

It wont change until Italy has a black player and i honestly cant think of one ever playing for them, anyone know of any?

Same as here i suppose it used to be sicking the **** Mc grath got when he played for Pats. But when he went to Man Utd the same fans cheered him for ireland (in them days LOI fans were the national teams fans). Anyone ever hear a black player being abused whilst playing against ireland in Lansdowne?

Sad but that seems to curtail it somewhat it. Would imagine its the same in England and France.

kdjac

Fabio Liverani has played for Italy.
    http://www.africafoot.com/pics/joueurs/liverani_fabio/liverani_itliy.jpg

A bit of background on him.
    http://www.worldsoccer.com/news/fabio_liverani_news_55751.html

Advertisement