Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie policy towards 'torrents'?

Options
  • 28-11-2005 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Just a genuinely curious question regarding the current boards.ie policy towards the mentioning and/or linking to torrents.

I don't wish to change anything or get up anyones nose, just wondering what is viewed as acceptable/unacceptable. Is there a distinction between legal/illegal torrents or is there a complete zero tolerance towards linking to a torrent itself or a torrent resource?

I don't really have any problems with them myself and am not looking to put links to torrents in every post I make, but would just appreciate some info as to what is viewed as right or wrong.

Cheers in advance.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

As I understand it there's no problem linking to demonstrably legal torrents (teh linux ISOs), but little else.

Torrent sites in general are a definite no-no, but, I dunno, linuxiso.org or whatever it is, once again, would be fine I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,892 ✭✭✭madrab

some game demos come in torrent form from legit sites & have been posted up before without problem

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

Aye, this was discussed to death a while back.
    <IMO>
    Don't link to sites with copyrighted material accessible through torrent files on them.
    Don't link to the specific torrent files with copyrighted material accessible through them.
    But linking to, say for example the latest Battlefield2 patch torrent is fine.
    </IMO>

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

As CuLT says, as long as it's demonstrably legal, there's no issue. Plenty of things other than Linux ISO's come legally in .torrent format, but the torrent (or torrent list) link should be the main site (e.g. redvsblue.com) and not a torrent site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

We also put the burden onto the person posting the torrent to show that it's legal, simply because it's generally pretty easy for the person doing so to link to a page that shows the content IP owner is happy with the torrent (even just showing that it is hosted on their own site is enough) but can be pretty hard for a mod to verify otherwise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Cheers lads. All understood and taken on board.

Advertisement