Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCNA Quick Question

Options
  • 28-11-2005 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone here has completed the Cisco CCNA recently and if so what software / Material did you use ?

Have to start moving more into that area and need to get some certs under my belt, I have got my hands on a 1750 to practice on but I was looking for more material other than what I can seem to find on the web.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭Rattlehead_ie

As long as you have some of the Cisco simulators or an actual router to practice on its great. Other material I found useful was the CISCO press books on the 604-408 exams (CCNA) . Other than that. I was in college doin my CCNA and my Lecturer had v specific notes and stuff he gave us. Keep lookin on net there are some great sites out there that are full of info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭HybridTech

Some handy links on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Thanks for info, Ive been pointed alot towards test king so I think I will go with that as a pre exam test, I also have the Sybex Books for learning, all I need to do now is learn the stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭celt2005

Static,

Have done CCNA twice, Todd Lammle books are best for this , also check out WWW.BOSON.COM , questions are harder than actual tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

Make sure whatever you use is uptodate and includes new subnetting (zero subnets), also a lot of the older books covered IPX which isn't required in the new exam.

I used the Sybex CCNA Guide, well written, easy to read and the flash cards and exams on the CD are extremely useful in preparing for the exam:
    http://www.sybex.com/sybexbooks.nsf/booklist/4391?OpenDocument

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Kazujo

I'm using the Sybex book at the moment and I would highly recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,350 ✭✭✭skywalker_208

http://www.celticrover.com

i used this site.. very good. loadsa sims etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've heard the Sybex book has only one real flaw, virtually nothing on NAT. I'm using the Cisco Press CCNA books at the moment. Most folks recommend both these AND Sybex (The Cisco duo is more up to date but Sybex apparently provides better explanations for some topics). Regardless as was mentioned you absolutely need a test lab or a good simulator (I'm using the Boson CCNA Netsim kit). If you aren't already familiar with Cisco equipment operation trying to learn the commands purely from the books will kill you, it's MUCH easier to actually sit down and work through some lab scenarios - also this will move you further away from being 'just' a paper CCNA,as you would actually be able to apply your virtual experience in the real world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,601 ✭✭✭Kali

_CreeD_ wrote:
    I've heard the Sybex book has only one real flaw, virtually nothing on NAT. I'm using the Cisco Press CCNA books at the moment.

Very true.. and a big oversight, the NAT questions are generally simple enough if you've configure it at least once on a router, but to not know the syntax would have you at a disadvantage, I got 3 on my exam and wasn't expecting them at all, but luckily knew the syntax anyway.

Advertisement