Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BodyShock Freak Show

Options
  • 28-11-2005 1:10pm
    Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

Anyone go to this last night?
    Apparently they had a live suspension in the Temple Bar Music Centre. I forgot all about it until about 11 last night and it was too late by then :/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

I went, I really enjoyed it. There was a contortionist on first before the suspensions and after the suspension, a band and then "the world's sickest man". I left when the band started to amke the last bus home but I1d have lilked to have stayed. One girl did a 6 point knee suspension which was really interesting as well as others doing 2 and 4 point suicide suspensions. There were some flesh pulls too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I have only seen pics of them on the internet (suspensions that is) im sorta not that knowledgable on them but what is the point of doing suspensions? Just another form of body modification culture?
    Also who did it, paddy himself or what?
    Anyone got any pics?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

BOLLOX. I thought this was on weekend coming >_<

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Wilburt wrote:
    I have only seen pics of them on the internet (suspensions that is) im sorta not that knowledgable on them but what is the point of doing suspensions? Just another form of body modification culture?
    It was originally an African(I think) ritual in which the pain would be overrode by endorphins and you go into a trance like state to talk to your gods. The piercing culture have got their hands on it and now do it for fun. It would be something Id definetly like to try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 566 ✭✭✭elephamt king

GaRtH_V wrote:
    It was originally an African(I think) ritual in which the pain would be overrode by endorphins and you go into a trance like state to talk to your gods. The piercing culture have got their hands on it and now do it for fun. It would be something Id definetly like to try!
    i would also love to try it sometime, i think itd be a superman or a crucfixion though.i have no idea how to go about getting one, hought id have to settle for a chest pull or similiar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭UNIFLU

garth - review your history, was an ancient shamanic ritual (also seen in eastern african culturle as punishment for inter family retribution but done wint bamboo shoots), the shamans were elevated using timber each end joined with rope and hiosted from the ground when the drugs took efect - was meant to be a way of joining to the spirit worl as they floated through life during their drug induced session - could refer you to a natioanl geographic article but is too late for me to read through my back issues!!

either way is type of sensory deprivation as the endorphins negate the pain

E.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

UNIFLU wrote:
    garth - review your history, was an ancient shamanic ritual (also seen in eastern african culturle as punishment for inter family retribution but done wint bamboo shoots), the shamans were elevated using timber each end joined with rope and hiosted from the ground when the drugs took efect - was meant to be a way of joining to the spirit worl as they floated through life during their drug induced session - could refer you to a natioanl geographic article but is too late for me to read through my back issues!!

either way is type of sensory deprivation as the endorphins negate the pain

E.
    I never said I was an expert on suspensions ;p
    But if you insist :
    The history of piercing flesh then pulling against it or hanging from it dates back thousands of years, in such diverse cultures as India, the Middle East, and North America. Cultures that, at that time had no contact with each other, yet felt the same urge and desire to perform these acts. Where in the modern context, flesh hooks and suspension are primarily done for "sideshow" purposes, these early people did it for the most sacred of rituals. We in the modern western world had taken the practice without taking the reason, and in my humble opinion, that is a dangerous thing. When dealing with things of this nature, whether you agree with the beliefs or not, a basic understanding is a necessity before attempting this ritual.

In India, the practice goes back approximately five thousand years, the oldest recorded history of piercing flesh and pulling or hanging from it. This was during a time when body and spirit connections were being explored and the idea of using the body to transcend the body played an important role in spirituality and life. There are two major Hindu festivals that focus on piercing rituals: Thaipusam and Chidi Mari. These two festivals are primarily celebrated by Savite Hindus, who are devotees of Lord Siva, Murugan, and Kali. These Hindus are primarily the Tamil people of Southern India. The Thaipusam and Chidi Mari festivals have been effectively outlawed as public festivals in India and Sri Lanka, but in other parts of Southeast Asia, like Malaysia and Thailand, these festivals flourish today.

Thaipusam is a piercing festival to Lord Siva and the other Hindu deities who are "stars in his crown". Devotees vow to bear a gift to the deity under physical hardship, which is considered the purest of gifts. Piercing the flesh with spears, skewers, and hooks to deliver the gift is especially accepted and blessed by Murugan, Lord of Piercing and patron Saint of the Tamils.

Chidi Mari is devoted to the worship of the "Great Mother" and other female deities like Kali. Worshippers are pierced with two hooks in the back, suspended on the end of a long pole, and rotated high in the air. Variations by devotees is to be pierced with multiple hooks and suspended horizontally for many hours to attain a trance like "state of grace".

Sufi (a fusion of ancient Hebrew, Hindu, and Islamic beliefs) has a similar history of piercing ritual dating back hundreds of years. The original Fakir Musafar was a 12th Century Sufi mystic from Persia (now Iran) who had six daggers in his chest and back and six horseshoes suspended from twelve piercings in his shoulders and arms for sixteen years. He was ridiculed at the time that he was doing this, but his message to the world was that you can access the unseen world through the body. The modern day Fakir Musafar in San Francisco teaches the same message today, which can be heard any time that is spent in his presence.

The Native American practice of piercing the flesh and suspending or hanging objects from it dates back at least several hundred years. The exact dates are unknown since there are no written records left by these people, just what settlers heard and saw in the late 1700's and early 1800's. One of these rituals was performed by the Mandan, a tribe that lived in villages along the Missouri River (now North and South Dakota). This suspension ritual was called the O-Kee-Pa, and was a rite of passage for all young men, as well as a vision quest ritual for the shaman. This ritual was performed by piercing two hooks into the chest and two hooks into the back of a young man about to enter adult life. This young man was then suspended for about twenty minutes to seek communion with "The Great White Spirit", under the guidance of someone who had taken the journey before called a Ka-See-Ka, or guide.

Perhaps the best known flesh hook ritual was performed by various Sioux tribes like the Lakota, Ogalala, Teton, and Yellow Hand, called the Sun Dance. This ritual was performed by being pierced in the chest twice, and then fastened to a tree or pole, where the ritual participants would pledge to pull against the piercings until the flesh broke. The objective was to reach a trance state and commune with "The Great White Spirit" for healing, or knowledge. Sometimes it would take several days for the flesh to break free.

Today, Fakir Musafar holds a ritual throughout the year in various locations called "Spirit And Flesh", which is a flesh hook ritual based on a fusion of various rituals of the past. I was fortunate enough to be invited into the ritual in June 2003 to assist Fakir pierce people into the ritual, and then be pierced into the ritual myself. It was an amazing experience that lasted several hours, but seemed like minutes and days at the same time. I would urge anyone that has the opportunity to enter a ritual like this to do it. It is an experience that will stay with you forever.

Since my return from California with this experience, I have had the opportunity to perform this ritual again with myself and a couple friends on Galiano Island in August. The experience was amazing again, with the surroundings affecting me in a different way this time. The cool of a British Columbia rainforest was refreshing, compared to the heat of the California sun. I am looking forward to the next opportunity I have to perform this ritual again.

Taken from : http://www.allaboutelwood.com/flesh_hooks.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Thephantomsmask

Wilburt wrote:
    Also who did it, paddy himself or what?
    Anyone got any pics?

Paddy did one, along with about 4 or 5 people.

elephamt king - There are a good number of suspension meets in the UK each year, I'm hoping to go next summer. I don't know if I'll suspend straight away because of my weight, but I'm definitely doing a flesh pull to start with.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭mark13

I know a Canadian/Irish freakshow guy who played the bodyshock convention about a year ago,who's done a 2 hook chest suspension from a crane over in the Uk,and worked as a consultant for the Criss Angel crucifix suspension from a helicopter.
    If you ever run into him around Dublin,he'll help you out a lot with anything you want to know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 siobhain

hi I'm a third year DCU student, currently studying communications. i was just wondering if anybody would be willing to give me help with my thesis.Its based on different forms of body modification-such as piercing, scarring etc-and the meaning that is attached to this form of body art. i need to interview people who part-take in such activities around ireland.if you would be willing to be interviewed please email me at : siobhainhayes@hotmail.com. would really appreciate your help.
    thanks a million!Siobhain

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

Hey siobháin im in DCU if you wanna meet up. Just PM me if ya want

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 startattoo

Same as that - am in Dublin - not around for a week or so but pm me and i can have a chat with you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭edibility

Ditto, I'm in tcd and would talk no problem, pm me.

Advertisement